1 2
etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
7/13/18 1:33 p.m.

Putting the finishing touches on BERRYKEEPER© 2018, the 10th gen PVC pipe & anti-bird net blackberry/blueberry area protection system.  In an epic (beer inspired) thrash using on-hand pieces collected during gens 1-9, I put together my largest ever  "The Jerk" homestead-style contraption to deny the theropod dinosaurs from devouring my annual smoothie berry crop.  Just need to supplement the net's zip ties with bread ties to seal the deal.

Last PVC project was a rooftop 2 kayak carrier for the '78 Colony Park (Daisy) that worked splendidly and was quite a sight.

What stuff have you built from PVC pipe?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/13/18 1:50 p.m.

Spud gun.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/13/18 1:54 p.m.

Trailer guides for a very light sail boat. Would have been better out of conduit though honestly.

How are bread ties more permanent than zip ties?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/13/18 1:54 p.m.

Plumbing. And gauge cluster 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/13/18 2:14 p.m.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/13/18 2:31 p.m.

Frame for a temporary spray booth inside my garage. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/13/18 2:32 p.m.

Recent Challenge car had a roll cage that included it. surprise

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/18 2:59 p.m.

Intake tube for my 2007 F-150. It's pretty common on the Ford truck forums.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
7/13/18 3:12 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Spud gun.

This. They print the max PSI on the pipe, and I know it must be safe but when we did a pneumatic tater-tosser we ran the pressure right up to that limit. Made my bum pucker slightly.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/13/18 3:14 p.m.
SVreX said:

Please, please tell me that was in jest or that the PVC was around steel??? 

(I know it wasn't your car)

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/13/18 3:16 p.m.

Bicycle parking rack.

Four giant hinges the width of a car for a five section adjustable splitter/under tray/rear diffuser contraption I've been building for one of my cars.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/13/18 3:22 p.m.
mtn said:
SVreX said:

Please, please tell me that was in jest or that the PVC was around steel??? 

(I know it wasn't your car)

Nope. It was not in jest. 

(And no, it was not my car)

It was the car that prompted the massive rewrite in the rules regarding safety. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/13/18 3:23 p.m.

In my senior year of high school in 1980 my buddy lifted his Chevrolet K20 and made a big roll bar out of PVC pipe and painted it black.   

He told everyone he did it to see how a real one would look but he got hassled forever for that.  He ended up putting a roll cage inside the cab that was cool and annoying at the same time.  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/13/18 3:24 p.m.

Bike parking racks, and a jump gate with adjustable height cross bars for dog agility training.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/13/18 4:20 p.m.

I made pilings for a floating dock out of PVC a couple summers ago. It didn't hold up to all the abuse from the wakes, so after fighting with it for a summer, I had a couple pilings put in and built a proper setup.

I used a length of PVC pipe and a wooden handle to make a reach rod to place and retrieve a bird feeder by sticking it out the window of my sunroom. The bird feeder is too far to reach by hand and about 25' off the ground, but only about 6' from the window.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/13/18 4:32 p.m.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/13/18 6:34 p.m.
barefootskater said:

This. They print the max PSI on the pipe, and I know it must be safe but when we did a pneumatic tater-tosser we ran the pressure right up to that limit. Made my bum pucker slightly.

As well it should have, since it's not safe...

The pressure rating for PVC pipe is for use with noncompressible liquids, not compressible gases.  If the PVC breaks with compressed air inside it shatters, and the rapidly expanding air blows shrapnel all over the place.

8valve
8valve Reader
7/13/18 6:38 p.m.

Photography lighting panels.

Papabishop
Papabishop Reader
7/13/18 7:31 p.m.

Light bar on front of boat for floundering

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/18 7:49 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I never thought about it. I assumed the potato would fail before the pvc.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/18 8:27 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I have PTSD from that device.......

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/18 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Papabishop :

Stop gigging flounder.

Also regarding PVC roll cages, you have to paint them with metallic paint or else they're not safe. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/13/18 8:39 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

I have PTSD from that device.......

The hairs grown back by now surely blush

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
7/14/18 8:48 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
barefootskater said:

As well it should have, since it's not safe...

The pressure rating for PVC pipe is for use with noncompressible liquids, not compressible gases.  If the PVC breaks with compressed air inside it shatters, and the rapidly expanding air blows shrapnel all over the place.

See, I KNEW there was something my 18 year old self must have overlooked. The best part? Our firing mechanism was a ball valve with an extended lever, which was operated by a swift kick. I don't think I'll be reenacting that good time.

Fun fact: A potato will in fact shatter several ceramic roof tiles when dropped from an altitude of "Holy E36 M3 that went high, can you see it anymore? I lost it."

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/18 10:53 a.m.

My black pipe/propane potato cannon caved in a vinyl garage door.  You find out which of your friends are the safety nazis when you put a tire chuck on a propane tank. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XHAIWigjSxCKn7d8WXv4Yi1emTl5oACAHkRrLFcm90NJLy9KebThp88bpxI5FbCa