Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/11/16 10:50 a.m.
failboat
failboat UberDork
2/11/16 10:54 a.m.

"There's that word again. "Heavy." Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?"

very interesting read, thanks for posting it up

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/11/16 12:54 p.m.

WOW! love this kind of stuff

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/11/16 1:54 p.m.

GREAT SCOTT!

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
2/11/16 2:04 p.m.

I heard about LIGO last year sometime. Glad they didn't have to wait too long.

This makes me happy!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/16 2:10 p.m.

I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation...

Seriously though, this is cool stuff.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/12/16 8:15 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Yes I do

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/12/16 8:17 a.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/12/16 9:00 a.m.

So if they are waves, you can shift and cancel out the amplitude right.

When and where do I place my order for an anti-gravity machine?

And in case someone is going to try and ruin this by telling me that it would take a lot of energy, keep in mind that the Chinese simultaneously claim a jump in fussion power generation. Coincidence?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/12/16 9:18 a.m.

Are you implying the Chinese warped gravity?

They can't build a car right!

(sorry for the biting sarcasm, the mass stupidity/arrogance/ambivalence in the EPA thread has me in a mood.)

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/12/16 9:22 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: So if they are waves, you can shift and cancel out the amplitude right. When and where do I place my order for an anti-gravity machine? And in case someone is going to try and ruin this by telling me that it would take a lot of energy, keep in mind that the Chinese simultaneously claim a jump in fussion power generation. Coincidence?

Anti-gravity? I think I want double or triple gravity. That way I will stay in excellent shape just sitting on the couch trying to breathe. Solves our chronic weight issues real fast.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/12/16 9:43 a.m.

Perhaps the detected gravitational waves were generated by the energy flux of the fusion reaction. Energy and mass can be considered the same with the right conversion, and gravity is a function of mass.
Just making stuff up now...

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/12/16 9:53 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Are you implying the Chinese warped gravity? They can't build a car right! (sorry for the biting sarcasm, the mass stupidity/arrogance/ambivalence in the EPA thread has me in a mood.)

Actually, if you were the guy on the bike, you would think very highly of the pedestrian collision technology designed into that car.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
2/12/16 12:42 p.m.

Shoot, we all kinda knew about gravity waves - if they didn't exist, how would the Silver Surfer get around?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/12/16 12:52 p.m.

Im not a physicist, but if my High School physics is correct, you cannot use opposing waves to cancel gravity, you can use it to cancel the effect of the waves - gravity remains constant in the absence of the waves, so the opposing waves will only cancel the effect of waves on the constant.

That said, at either end of the wavelength, gravity will be increased/decreased by the amplitude of the wave. With the right amount of energy, one could amplify the peak and trough of waves, thereby creating moments of weightlessness if you could amplify it enough. The downside is that if one end of the wave is 0 gravity, the other half of the wave(if my silly, almost totally-uneducated-in-the-topic theory is correct) would create total gravity, i.e. a black hole - the effect of the gravity would be so complete, that nothing could escape.

Or, I could be completely and utterly wrong in the entirety of that nearly-incoherent post. YMMV

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yozYYOZlAfkLGvc5YDowqibeiG0uU987VRcJe37I5F2wF3X52kYyEGeICzO0VRTv