1 2 3
Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/3/12 2:22 p.m.
chuckles
chuckles Reader
4/3/12 4:37 p.m.

What's weird is that this actually needs saying.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/3/12 5:24 p.m.
chuckles wrote: What's weird is that this actually needs saying.

But won't get read by the ones who need to read it.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
4/3/12 5:34 p.m.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/3/12 5:40 p.m.

Eh, not funny, and they lost all credibility once they said "lucky."

You can do better, Cracked.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
4/3/12 5:45 p.m.

Meh, sounds like sour grapes, and I usually read cracked regularly. Missed that one somehow.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/3/12 6:26 p.m.

Meh, 50% truth, 45% BS and 5% foul language.

Cracked is one way to put it. Probably why I don't frequent that site.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/12 12:15 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Eh, not funny, and they lost all credibility once they said "lucky."

I'm sure that is in relation to the act of being successful. (I only skimmed the article)

Thing is, success can't happen without ability, but it also can't happen without luck. All the skill in a particular field won't do you any bit of good if you're not in the right place at the right time. The world's theoretically best F1 driver may have never even seen a motor vehicle that wasn't a truck or a moped. His dice got rolled poorly.

Denying that luck is important is just as flawed a premise as claiming that success is all luck.

Strizzo
Strizzo UltraDork
4/4/12 12:23 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: Eh, not funny, and they lost all credibility once they said "lucky."
... Denying that luck is important is just as flawed a premise as claiming that success is all luck.

that is true, there is some amount of luck involved in everything, but claiming that luck is the only factor is just as flawed as claiming it has no bearing at all.

disclaimer: i didn't even click the link

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
4/4/12 12:27 p.m.
...and he gets pooped on less than half as often.

I peed a little, laughing so hard

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
4/4/12 12:31 p.m.

I love the wit, and the fact that there are actually respectable arguments in there make it fun too, but Id enjoy it for the wit alone if you took away the sensibility

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
4/4/12 12:56 p.m.
Knurled wrote: ...Denying that luck is important is just as flawed a premise as claiming that success is all luck.

Xceler8x
4/4/12 1:34 p.m.

Come on you tools. Being born into money or prestige has nothing to do with luck. Sheesh.

I liked the article obviously. Some folks are proud of themselves for thinking they hit a home run when actually they were born on third base. (citation needed as I can't remember who said it)

Let us also consider the "I built this business from nothing!" guys. Mentioned in the article. Sure, you built it from nothing. The police guard your property for you, paid for by tax payers. You used roads to run your business, paid for by tax payers. The workers you hire were educated by tax payers. Right. All by yourself....

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
4/4/12 1:53 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Come on you tools.

Just askin?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
4/4/12 2:16 p.m.

I see a lot of whining and jealousy at Cracked there. Not funny at all to see them stoop to validating the Occupy movement.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
4/4/12 2:16 p.m.
Strizzo wrote:
Knurled wrote:
... Denying that luck is important is just as flawed a premise as claiming that success is all luck.
that is true, there is some amount of luck involved in everything, but claiming that luck is the *only* factor is just as flawed as claiming it has no bearing at all. disclaimer: i didn't even click the link

The writer actually makes that same point in the article.

I read and enjoyed it, but I agree some of it is iffy. Of course, it's an entertainment site, and i still think most of their stuff has more reality basis than the average newspaper reader-submitted editorial

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
4/4/12 2:25 p.m.

That was nothing more than a load of proletariat drivel! A man of my stature can hardly be bothered to read such tripe!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/4/12 2:30 p.m.
Strizzo wrote:
Knurled wrote:
that is true, there is some amount of luck involved in everything, but claiming that luck is the *only* factor is just as flawed as claiming it has no bearing at all.

Luck doesn't exist, therefor it has no bearing at all.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
4/4/12 2:36 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Let us also consider the "I built this business from nothing!" guys. Mentioned in the article. Sure, you built it from nothing. The police guard your property for you, paid for by tax payers. You used roads to run your business, paid for by tax payers. The workers you hire were educated by tax payers. Right. All by yourself....

Yeah, but everyone could have started a business, because they have those same benefits, but didn't.

So that seems like a moot point to me.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/4/12 2:40 p.m.

Blah. Cute writing, stupid article.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
4/4/12 2:43 p.m.

I really dislike the whole attitude of the article. It's really off-putting to hear him rant about how peeved he is by rich people.

I read the article yesterday, and it seemed like he disregarded or misrepresented a number of things.
1. Cost of living differences - in certain places, you need to be pulling in six figures to own a house, whereas in other places you could almost own a house on minimum wage. If you have to make $100k to own a 1200 sq. ft ranch, and you make $100k, you're not that rich. If you have to make $30k to own a 1200 sq. ft ranch, and you make $100k, you're doing pretty well.
2. Richer people paying more taxes - I think everyone who's complained about it has always complained that the percentage of income tax is higher. For example, they're complaining that they make $500k and are forced to give $200k (40%), whereas the $50k income is only forced to give $10k (20%). If they make $500k and forced to give $100k (20%), aka the same percentage of their income, nobody's complaining. Hell, if you really wanted to make it fair, charge taxes based on what and how much of the public resources they use. Hint: I don't think the poor would come out on top with that one.
3. He's blatantly ignoring that businesses pay tax as well. The services that the business gets from government are paid by the taxes they pay. Not to mention that they employ people (who pay taxes on that income).

Xceler8x
4/4/12 4:10 p.m.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
4/4/12 4:22 p.m.

I think some of you guys are close to not having fun in this thread. Perhaps this would help -

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/4/12 4:32 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Luck doesn't exist, therefor it has no bearing at all.

"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."

scardeal
scardeal Dork
4/5/12 8:19 a.m.

In reply to Otto Maddox:

Where'd you get that picture of me?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
61wzp1yjz2chVz1QVEoeuKRu2epN6bt2lnTweI8dcUSoQ9JOLobhNkrjYu7sSypS