1 2 3
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
4/5/12 8:22 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: That was nothing more than a load of proletariat drivel! A man of my stature can hardly be bothered to read such tripe!

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
4/5/12 10:33 a.m.

Just read like a bunch of OWS occusquatter sniveling.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
4/5/12 11:47 a.m.

Number 5 annoyed me. A lot. Most entrepreneurs have worked hard to failure multiple times and kept on trucking. They kept following their intuition through it all and eventually turned a profit. If it was easy, everyone would do it. They deserve all the money that they made. (as long as they didn't hurt anyone in the process)

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/12 12:16 p.m.
Javelin wrote: "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."

Which is funny, because IIRC what really got his career moving was the fact that he happened to be friends with some unknown guy named something Lucas.

Right place, right time, and skilled enough to exploit the circumstance.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
4/5/12 12:54 p.m.
ThePhranc wrote: Just read like a bunch of OWS occusquatter sniveling.

Really? Making fun of someone that says $500k/year isn't rich is occusquatter sniveling? Nope, it's funny, because $500k/year is top 1% rich no matter where you live and you're a jackass if you cry about not being rich at that point.

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
4/5/12 1:12 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Which is funny, because IIRC what really got his career moving was the fact that he happened to be friends with some unknown guy named something Lucas.

Not even that, I believe he was putting in cabinetry in Lucas's house!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/5/12 1:38 p.m.
Taiden wrote: Number 5 annoyed me. A lot. Most entrepreneurs have worked hard to failure multiple times and kept on trucking. They kept following their intuition through it all and eventually turned a profit. If it was easy, everyone would do it. They deserve all the money that they made. (as long as they didn't hurt anyone in the process)

I can see why you would feel that way after reading it. I think their point was that some folks who are very well off talk about working hard for their earnings. I'm sure they have. The point of that portion of the article is that coal miners work hard too and aren't compensated to the same level as say....investment bankers or stock traders. He goes on address the luck quotient involved in this level of success. Maybe a coal miner is the next Warren Buffet. But he's born in W. VA. and went to school only through the 8th grade. No investment banking for him as his particular skills will never be utilized.

dculberson wrote: Really? Making fun of someone that says $500k/year isn't rich is occusquatter sniveling? Nope, it's funny, because $500k/year is top 1% rich no matter where you live and you're a jackass if you cry about not being rich at that point.

Don't mind Phranc. He's trolling and just doesn't realize it.

~~~~~~~

So come on guys! Keep it light! We're all just talking internet smack here. None of us are experts and all we say here is the equivalent of a stiff fart in a hurricane.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
4/5/12 1:40 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Right place, right time, and skilled enough to exploit the circumstance.

You killed your own statement.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
4/5/12 1:43 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Go into restaurant in LA and you will find a couple people on the wait staff as skilled as Harrison Ford. And that is no knock against Harrison Ford. It is just a tough industry. And if you find 100 people with the same skill who make the same effort, probably only a couple will be able to support themselves in that industry.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
4/5/12 1:47 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Knurled wrote: Right place, right time, and skilled enough to exploit the circumstance.

Not at all, he was saying he had luck (right place, right time) and skill. See how they work together to create success? Either one on its own is not enough.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
4/5/12 3:29 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: So come on guys! Keep it light! We're all just talking internet smack here. None of us are experts and all we say here is the equivalent of a stiff fart in a hurricane.

And here I thought you posted that because you were kicked out of a park and got pissed.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
4/5/12 3:36 p.m.

I can't believe that some of you actually believe that "luck" is something real. Wow.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
4/5/12 3:43 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to z31maniac: Go into restaurant in LA and you will find a couple people on the wait staff as skilled as Harrison Ford. And that is no knock against Harrison Ford. It is just a tough industry. And if you find 100 people with the same skill who make the same effort, probably only a couple will be able to support themselves in that industry.

Skilled at what though - maybe there were different skills that he applied to get himself noticed.

If I am interviewing two maids equal in cleaning ability for the a job maintaining my personal bathroom complex on the 2nd floor of the east wing but one was already providing some useful service discreetly I believe I'd grant her the position. Some may call her lucky, others would call her a whore. I'd call her Trixie and not just because I saw Speed Racer last night. Whatever my point was - I'm sure I've made it by now.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
4/5/12 4:21 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I can't believe that some of you actually believe that "luck" is something real. Wow.

Call it what you want, fortune, chance, happenstance, serendipity, fortuitousness, the point isn't that "luck" as a concept exists for one person but not another, it's that chance exists and one person performing a set of actions might get rich when another person performing the exact same set of actions just as competently might not.

You seem to have a personal beef with the word "luck" but overlook that, ignore whatever you're ascribing to that word as it's not what people mean when they say luck. You're inserting your own definition of it or something.

Luck means, literally: "success that is partly the result of chance." That's all. Not some sort of thing that follows people around.

Knurled
4/5/12 4:39 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:

No I didn't.

I never said luck was everything, just that skill is not all you need. You need both.

Knurled
4/5/12 4:40 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I can't believe that some of you actually believe that "luck" is something real. Wow.

Luck = chance. Inferred meaning's a bitch, isn't it?

edit because this was covered not much more eloquently

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
4/5/12 4:57 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
ThePhranc wrote: Just read like a bunch of OWS occusquatter sniveling.
Really? Making fun of someone that says $500k/year isn't rich is occusquatter sniveling? Nope, it's funny, because $500k/year is top 1% rich no matter where you live and you're a jackass if you cry about not being rich at that point.

In some cities that barely gets you a 1000sqft apartment to live in, like NYC. The only reason poor people even live in the city is because of rent control slums. And yes really it read like a sniveling little uccusquater punk that bitches and moans about other people being successful. If these punks put as much effort into making their own life better than they did crying like gits they might be happier. But its easier to point and complain and demand free stuff than it is to work hard for it.

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
4/5/12 4:58 p.m.

So what would you call the difference between the "starting situations" of the son of a West Virginia coal miner and Donald Trumps son? Destiny? Karma?

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
4/5/12 4:59 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
Taiden wrote: Number 5 annoyed me. A lot. Most entrepreneurs have worked hard to failure multiple times and kept on trucking. They kept following their intuition through it all and eventually turned a profit. If it was easy, everyone would do it. They deserve all the money that they made. (as long as they didn't hurt anyone in the process)
I can see why you would feel that way after reading it. I think their point was that some folks who are very well off talk about working hard for their earnings. I'm sure they have. The point of that portion of the article is that coal miners work hard too and aren't compensated to the same level as say....investment bankers or stock traders. He goes on address the luck quotient involved in this level of success. Maybe a coal miner is the next Warren Buffet. But he's born in W. VA. and went to school only through the 8th grade. No investment banking for him as his particular skills will never be utilized.
dculberson wrote: Really? Making fun of someone that says $500k/year isn't rich is occusquatter sniveling? Nope, it's funny, because $500k/year is top 1% rich no matter where you live and you're a jackass if you cry about not being rich at that point.
Don't mind Phranc. He's trolling and just doesn't realize it. ~~~~~~~ So come on guys! Keep it light! We're all just talking internet smack here. None of us are experts and all we say here is the equivalent of a stiff fart in a hurricane.

I'm not trolling. But coming from a whiney liberal who is too intellectually cowardly to back up his own claims I can understand why you would need to lie about my trolling.

And that was trolling right there. But thats what this thread was started on.

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
4/5/12 5:19 p.m.
ThePhranc wrote: In some cities that barely gets you a 1000sqft apartment to live in, like NYC....

Question:

Who is forcing this person to live in Manhattan? Is this person not aware of a rather extensive transportation network in the New York area? (assuming they work in Manhattan)

If you live in Manhattan and complain you are poor, that makes you a bit of an idiot in my book. It's kind of like having a decent job and driving around in a 7 series BMW and complaining how you are "barely getting by".

4/5/12 5:21 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
So what would you call the difference between the "starting situations" of the son of a West Virginia coal miner and Donald Trumps son? Destiny? Karma?

The compound of ancestral decision making. Who is to say DTII is better off? By what measure? In cubic dollars you get one answer and in knowing how to mine some berkeleying coal you get quite another.

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
4/5/12 5:30 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: ..Who is to say DTII is better off? By what measure?...

How about by measure of: Access to opportunity. Access to capital. Access to technology. Access to education. Access to influence.... this could be a very long list.

4/5/12 5:35 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: ..Who is to say DTII is better off? By what measure?...
How about by measure of: Access to opportunity. Access to capital. Access to technology. Access to education. Access to influence.... this could be a very long list.

Meh. What if DT2 wanted access to tunnels where dynamite could be had or black lung or moleman knowhow? Now who has the upper hand?

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
4/5/12 6:37 p.m.

Ah, I see.

You are aware the Troll thread is closed now right?

Or are you unaware of the purpose of the emoticons above the box you type your comments into?

T.J.
T.J. UberDork
4/5/12 8:56 p.m.

All I know is that when I read that article on my phone while sitting on the john, I didn't find it entertaining or enlightening one bit. It seemed like a poor excuse for an article. Is cracked supposed to be funny or was that supposed to be a real story?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
inGEdxBzb66lCZLHfTZaBEMYQImFekdXgbUsoQGyZuQbY7n7h4HklFZo990IugWt