1 2
drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
12/28/13 1:49 a.m.

With the maturity level demonstrated by most 16-24 year olds.. I am shocked that parent's would let them get a license, be on their insurance and drive their vehicles...

I would tell them,(using the voice of the OLD man from Pawn Stars) "Sorry Junior, you and your friends are idiots". "You will likely do stupid E36 M3 with my vehicle, then my insurance will go up".. "It's public transit for you and your friends"... "Unless you want to spring for your own car and insurance, or your friends parents are stupid enough to insure one of your friends "!!!.. I'm surprised more parents don't go for this arrangement...

It would help teach Idiots (sorry meant to say kids).. The value of a dollar..

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/28/13 2:08 a.m.

In reply to drsmooth:

I always had my own car, that I bought, and paid my portion of the insurance bill most of the time. However, I was smart enough to make it appear to near enough a reasonable doubt that my idiot friends and I weren't out being idiots. "Playing video games at (insert dumb friends name here) house" can mean a lot of things.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/28/13 5:12 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to drsmooth: I always had my own car, that I bought, and paid my portion of the insurance bill most of the time. However, I was smart enough to make it appear to near enough a reasonable doubt that my idiot friends and I weren't out being idiots. "Playing video games at (insert dumb friends name here) house" can mean a lot of things.

all my idiot friends were over at my house after we started getting our licenses, and we could be found doing burnouts on the street in front of the house.. but if we did go somewhere else, it generally involved lots of what the kids call "drifting" these days - we just called it "beating the hell out of our cars like on the Dukes of Hazzard"- on gravel roads... ask me what it's like to come around a blind corner on a gravel road slideways at about 50mph in a 78 Cordoba and miss the front bumper of an oncoming car by what seemed like inches but was probably measured in tens of feet...

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/28/13 7:08 p.m.

In reply to drsmooth:

Just how old are you?

In my case, grandmother and aunt bought the car and I had to pay the insurance.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/29/13 12:28 a.m.

In reply to drsmooth:

No argument on the stupid teenager points, but in my hometown there wasn't a feasible public transit system. Bikes could be used in non winter unless you were hardcore, and then only a couple weeks a year were actually dangerously cold, but parents usually didn't support biking on ice.

I had a car and so did my brother. The difference is he burned through MANY of them rapidly. My first car succumbed to German electrical issues and rust and was finally sold out of fear of it dying in the middle of nowhere in a blizzard/ice storm...again. my second car (an older than me van) was a hand-me-down that I still daily drive almost 10 years later. How do you know which kids are the I-didn't-pay-for-it-so-who-cares car destroyers and which ones are the keep-it-running-forever-so-i-don't-have-to-pay-for-a-replacement-car kids? Sure I have a newer car now, but the van still serves as general transport/stuff mover. My brother and I had good grades and attendance. There were other signs pointing to him as a car wrecker, but not measurable in school.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
12/29/13 2:56 a.m.

In reply to the posts above... Once again channeling "The Old Man" (from Pawn Stars) voice..

"Friend, I am old enough to know better than to let someone under 25; drive a vehicle that I own and insure".. "The risk is there, and there will never be no reward"..

No argument on the stupid teenager points, but in my hometown there wasn't a feasible public transit system. Bikes could be used in non winter unless you were hardcore, and then only a couple weeks a year were actually dangerously cold, but parents usually didn't support biking on ice.

Son; In my day public transit was bikes...

You weren't a danger to the public because you were on a bike, not drivin' a car.. Too much snow son?? You were spoiled.. "If there was too much snow in my day you walked"...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/29/13 6:29 a.m.

So the kid, who is already willing to break the truancy laws, isn't going to be willing to drive without a license? Yeah, right.

I would much rather see a law that said, "Job or school, pick one. If you can't hold a job, you go back to school."

Since this isn't about education and is all about getting paid by the feds on a per child basis for attendance, that won't happen.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
12/30/13 8:36 a.m.

Insert post about gov't getting their hands into everything.

Parents should be held responsible.

I missed a lot of high school and still manged to graduate and go on to be successful.

Insert my post about not really caring.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/13 6:52 p.m.

In Vermont parental consent is needed along with DE for a minor to get their junior operator's license. It can be revoked simply by the parent requesting as such. I tell all my students this. They quickly understand that pissing off Mom and Dad can lead to their license being suspended. No need for an extra law here. Most parents do know this however. I spread the word as much as possible.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r9mY6MocDZZd7OMxyWhQP2Dbsq695od9x0wlMOeYcxzjonDLpW59iBrJ6S6z49uI