1 2 3 ... 9
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/29/23 9:51 a.m.

Fallout Amazon

Yes, April 12 they are releasing Fallout as a TV series with a real budget. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
11/29/23 9:54 a.m.

I really REALLY hope it doesn't suck.

Especially as it was just revealed that its gonna be considered canon

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/29/23 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

yes, 15 years after 4, which is the latest timeline. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/29/23 10:45 a.m.

That might just be a pic from the set, but I would really hope to see a LOT grittier visual presentation.  More like The Road, or The Book of Eli.  They would certainly do a lot of that in post processing, if they do it, but we will see.

This trailer looks good, but it is mostly re-creating the game vid styles:

This one looks a bit better

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/29/23 10:47 a.m.

I predict that they will completely miss the point of the games.

Edit: No Ron Perlman voiceover? This does not bode well...

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
11/29/23 10:50 a.m.

Can't be any worse than the Twisted Metal series.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
11/29/23 10:52 a.m.

It's always hard to predict with Amazon, you either get amazing production and editing or B roll from EurAsia quality. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/29/23 10:57 a.m.

I am prepared for them to completely ruin it. Just like they did with the spin-off series for the boys. I hope they get it right however.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
11/29/23 10:57 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I am prepared for them to completely ruin it. Just like they did with the spin-off series for the boys. I hope they get it right however.

There's a spin off series for the boys? 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/29/23 11:08 a.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

Generation v.

Its not good.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/23 11:15 a.m.

I've not been holding my breath. Amazon's productions have been almost as bad as Netflix.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
11/29/23 11:39 a.m.

Never played the game.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/29/23 11:46 a.m.

Game adapatations generally blow it. Im looking at you Netflix's Witcher, Paramount's Halo, and basically all the Sonic the Hedghogs. Even series that are going well end up piledriving the audience by moving away from the canon and dumping on their main characters. Witcher was killing it until 2022 happened. Anyone interested should look up The Critical Drinker on Youtube and check out his Witcher season 3 review.

I'll give this one a shot, but this is me not holding my breath. Streaming services ought to try and bolster their finances with defense contracts, as theyre great at producing bombs.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
11/29/23 11:48 a.m.

I may need to get Prime for this.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/29/23 11:56 a.m.
4cylndrfury said:

Game adapatations generally blow it. Im looking at you Netflix's Witcher...

The Witcher started off as books. The series actually draws more heavily from those.

That's not why they blew it.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/23 11:58 a.m.
RevRico said:

I've not been holding my breath. Amazon's productions have been almost as bad as Netflix.

I think it doesn't really have much to do with Amazon, Netflix, etc.  At that level of corporate ownership, all they're really doing is bankrolling it, the creative aspects are handled by the team that runs the show.  For example, The Expanse was very well done (and on Amazon Prime), but in that case they took over the show after SyFy declined to continue funding it and left the creative team basically intact.  I suspect it also helped a lot that the authors of the books were involved in the production.

As with all shows it will come down to the writing.  Can they actually put together an interesting story with characters that I care about, or will they decide that is too hard and try to substitute special effects and other gimmicks?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/29/23 12:03 p.m.
stroker said:

Never played the game.

There's a whole series with really only a couple shining jewels.

Fallout: New Vegas is easily the best of the series and remains a strong contder for THE best computer Role Playing Game ever made.

Judging by the trailers, looks like that's what they're leaning on most heavily... but I also strongly suspect they're not going to understand.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/29/23 12:28 p.m.

I'm cautiously optimistic. The Last of Us series proved that turning a video game into a TV show can actually work–and not suck. I'm hoping that the creators of this will have that same success.

At the end of the day, I'm not going to complain about having more Fallout content to enjoy.

P.S. I'd love it if the TV show included a game bug or two. wink

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/29/23 1:10 p.m.

I've been playing the Fallout games since the very beginning, but for some reason, I always stop playing them. I think the subject matter makes me feel unsettled for some weird reason, so I always stop. Always been more of an Elder Scrolls guy anyway. That said, this looks good enough for me to check out. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/29/23 1:16 p.m.

Lets hope the show does not capture what an absolute berkeleying grind it can be to play Fallout.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/29/23 1:44 p.m.

I'm just hopin' they have the man with a big iron on his hip...

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/29/23 2:13 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

To the town of Agua Fria rode a stranger one fine day...

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/29/23 3:22 p.m.

Oh please, oh please, oh please be good.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/29/23 3:48 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
4cylndrfury said:

Game adapatations generally blow it. Im looking at you Netflix's Witcher...

The Witcher started off as books. The series actually draws more heavily from those.

That's not why they blew it.

I agree on all fronts - I do believe Witcher hit critical mass once it was a game. I dont know if it wouldve been popular enough to garner a series when it was solely literature, though I suppose thats up for debate...but also kind of moot.

The production had a good thing going, and then tried to get cute, and ended up pushing out a dumpster fire akin to what you push out after your 3rd gas station burrito. Its unfortunate that Cavil exited, but I cannot fault his decision. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/29/23 3:51 p.m.
RevRico said:

Disagree. Reacher, Wheel of Time, Upload, Good Omens etc. All good stuff. 

1 2 3 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vkZd6meJiwg7lUFVlAfjdFYi935ex6iuBNNVveAVb0qm0ZJl76FMUUUwfYHrmcSC