1 2
gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/7/15 12:39 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Awww... poor little booba. My God, your heart must've plummeted when you heard her cry like that. Thankfully, my cats can still jump down from decent heights with no problems.

She really does have a sweet face. She doesn't even look that bummed in her cast.

I hope she has a speedy recovery.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/7/15 7:24 a.m.
gamby wrote: In reply to JThw8: Awww... poor little booba. My God, you're heart must've plummeted when you heard her cry like that. Thankfully, my cats can still jump down from decent heights with no problems. She really does have a sweet face. She doesn't even look that bummed in her cast. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

It was a sound like I've never heard before and yes it made me physically ill to hear it. She had such a hard beginning in life that I will admit to spoiling her and overcompensating.

She's not really bummed at all, I think she's realized its stopping the hurting. But she's just confused by it. She keeps looking at me like "how am I supposed to move with this thing?"

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/7/15 7:28 a.m.

Ouch. Sorry she got hurt. Boo Boo (goofy cat) makes ill advised and poorly timed jumps all the time, never really stopped to think about it till now.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/15 11:47 a.m.

when i started reading i feared it was going to turn into "bulldog startled and bit chihuahua in half" story, so happy to hear she's alive.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
3/7/15 12:07 p.m.

Ouch!

If it helps your peace of mind, I will say that my veterinarian wife said the following when I told her the story and showed the radiographs:

Splint first, but refer for orthopedic surgical consult, if only to speak to them about it. Pins don't work well in toy breeds so usually it needs plating or external fixing.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/7/15 12:34 p.m.

Our cat tore apart her metatarsus, which is usually bad news as its hard to immobilize and a joint/ligiament that pressure point during walking. The doc had doubts a split would do the trick, but given that or a $3000 surgery, we decided to try the splint first.

2 months later and she was good as new.

Animals heal incredibly well, and although a misaligned bone or joint may be a disaster in the wild, it'll only be a slight inconvenience for a small dog.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/7/15 1:11 p.m.

Glad everything came out OK Jim, heart stopper for sure.

I am always concerned about my son's dog, Bodhi doesn't know he's a black lab trapped in a 7lb. body.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/7/15 1:26 p.m.
patgizz wrote: when i started reading i feared it was going to turn into "bulldog startled and bit chihuahua in half" story, so happy to hear she's alive.

When it first happened and we heard the death yelp that was our first fear too. Things happened so quickly, but no blood no bite marks and the bulldog will mix it up with the other big dogs but she's always been very good with the little ones. But our whole history on how we came to have chihuahuas is based on a story like that. The wife needed a career change and went to be an office manager for a vet. One day a family brought in a chihuahua which had been mostly bit in half by a rottweiler. It couldn't be saved, she came home in tears and told me to find her a chihuahua to save immediately. We adopted our other chi Nugget the next day.

bastomatic wrote: Ouch! If it helps your peace of mind, I will say that my veterinarian wife said the following when I told her the story and showed the radiographs: Splint first, but refer for orthopedic surgical consult, if only to speak to them about it. Pins don't work well in toy breeds so usually it needs plating or external fixing.

Give her my thanks for taking the time to look and give an opinion, it is greatly appreciated. Our vet is really good to us. Heck some of the doctors in the practice were vet techs when we started who used to email us from school when they would learn about "rare" afflictions which they had treated in our dogs (we end up with all the messed up dogs) We saw the boss and he's treated all our dogs since day one. He recommended plating as well but knows that our budget is already stretched so he splinted and said we'll re-evaluate in 2 weeks but if he's not happy with it we need to have it plated.

PHeller wrote: Our cat tore apart her metatarsus, which is usually bad news as its hard to immobilize and a joint/ligiament that pressure point during walking. The doc had doubts a split would do the trick, but given that or a $3000 surgery, we decided to try the splint first. 2 months later and she was good as new. Animals heal incredibly well, and although a misaligned bone or joint may be a disaster in the wild, it'll only be a slight inconvenience for a small dog.

All the same thoughts that went through our head as well. If the surgery becomes necessary I'll do it without question but if we can get good results with the splint we can use the money elsewhere that's for sure. If it was any of our other dogs (who are very active) I'd have probably gone straight to surgery but Lilly is so, um...let's be honest, lazy, that she is the optimal candidate .

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/7/15 1:28 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Glad everything came out OK Jim, heart stopper for sure. I am always concerned about my son's dog, Bodhi doesn't know he's a black lab trapped in a 7lb. body.

That is one cute danged dog. Yeah the small ones always give us a little fear, especially since we mix with big ones. But our biggest dogs are the gentlest with the little ones. The 70 lb German Shepard will lay flat on the floor so the small dogs can play with her ears.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
3/7/15 9:36 p.m.

Awwww, best wishes to your poor wee baby.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H4Bn5tcHfc0UExfgB8u3zIeA9odtO1RzX9l5sX2IPuqBvcPsU5k8WxkUXJ4GyLPI