1 2
neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/19/13 8:25 p.m.

I don't know how she does it, but my wife can't drive more than 10 months without picking something up in a tire. I know a simple plug isn't the best, but it works well enough.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/20/13 3:44 a.m.

One of my star specs picked up a nail when 3 weeks old......vulcanized plug went in, and that car has seen autox's, drag duty, 140mph+ top speed runs, and 6-7k of street driving.......not a single issue. Same thing happened with the specs on the redline......I ran them until they were slicks without issue.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
1/21/13 1:37 a.m.
purplepeopleeater wrote: No, it is not safe. Goodyear has told their franchisees for years not to do it, the integrity of the casing has been damaged & problems may ensue Your performance tire loses its speed rating when you plug a tire which is why police departments replace their tires rather than plug them. It's easy, it's cheap & it usually works, but a failure can be epic & fatal. your kids, your wife, your choice,

it's good to know that a large company like Goodyear would rather sell you the piece of mind that a brand new tire brings rather than putting a 10 cent plug from Wal Mart in it..

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
1/21/13 6:34 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote: No, it is not safe. Goodyear has told their franchisees for years not to do it, the integrity of the casing has been damaged & problems may ensue Your performance tire loses its speed rating when you plug a tire which is why police departments replace their tires rather than plug them. It's easy, it's cheap & it usually works, but a failure can be epic & fatal. your kids, your wife, your choice,
it's good to know that a large company like Goodyear would rather sell you the piece of mind that a brand new tire brings rather than putting a 10 cent plug from Wal Mart in it..

In other news, Jack Daniels recommends drinking more Jack Daniels whiskey when you have a hangover. It has nothing to do with making money, they are looking out for you.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/21/13 7:05 a.m.

When I worked for a Goodyear franchise, Goodyear's recommendation (not ours) was a a 'plug patch', looked like a witch's hat. It had to be done with the tire off the rim which takes time which pisses people off.

They were insistent that you NEVER plugged a Z rated tire, only patch it, and the patch had to be within the steel tread belts. And yes the police cars we serviced had a standing order to NEVER plug or patch a tire, replace it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
1/21/13 7:45 a.m.

One of the reasons I'd actually prefer a plug to a proper "patch" where you have to un-mount the tire, is that I've had shops destroy a tire when they break the bead. Naturally, they only get to do that once.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IVzmGUhiD5PVbg7gq9sKAOx1PQoAazpMGkPonDKD5B3OkNT1I7RBDXy3QJH4HDXE