1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 225
RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/10/16 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

TIL that a declawed house cat (fronts only) can manage to kill an adult sparrow. Not to mention the dozens of rodents he has either eaten or left for us in the garage. Even caught a couple in the house

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/10/16 2:52 p.m.
Knurled wrote: TIL that mice made a baseball sized mound of poop between my V710s and the desk I just removed from my garage. Now let's see if I can learn ways of discouraging mice from being in my garage.

Corn snake

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/11/16 2:12 p.m.

TIL my buddy KeithSpeed had a hand in that E30 M3 that a guy took into his house to protect from the hurricane.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/11/16 3:58 p.m.

Til just how stupid and expensive Volkswagen is. I may lose money on this flip....

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
10/11/16 4:12 p.m.

TIL I hate webinars. Even more I hate Conflict Minerals Webinars.

I logged in and I might lower the volume and just go home.

NickD
NickD Dork
10/12/16 12:25 p.m.

TIL that Allison V12s actually used silver for the rod and main bearings

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/16 12:42 p.m.

Don't set your things on the edge of a sink with an automatic faucet. You can end up looking on helplessly from the urinal while they slide down and soak your sweater.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/16 1:26 p.m.

TIL how to make a lighter out of a AA battery and the foil stuff out of a cigarette pack. Apparently that's how it's done in prison.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
10/12/16 2:51 p.m.

TIL (well, YIL) how irritating a tiny tiny piece of steel can be if it's in your eye.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/16 5:32 a.m.

If beef jerky tastes like dog food smells, don't eat it.

NickD
NickD Dork
10/14/16 7:46 a.m.

Today I learned that if you threaten to chuck a gourd at your boss' head, he will approve your vacation time request that he has been sitting on for several days.

Knurled
10/18/16 9:03 p.m.

Today I learned...

That Insane Clown Posse covered a song that my mom either hated, or didn't want me hearing, because she would always change the radio station when it came on. Probably the former, because one time I said "Hey I want to hear this" and she left it on that station. Also, she used to listen to a bunch of stuff way more prurient. (And what the hell did I know? I was like 7 or something)

For posterity, ICP version versus Sly Fox original

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/18/16 10:41 p.m.

Today I learned that God answers all prayers. He usually says, "No."

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
10/19/16 7:14 a.m.

TIL that the "Good God Almighty" thread is still there, you just have to look for it.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
10/30/16 7:49 p.m.

TIL that driving my car below the posted speed limit through a residential area while returning to my house in (the really long) second gear with a legal db exhaust is not okay. Who knew?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/31/16 10:14 a.m.
NickD wrote: TIL that Allison V12s actually used silver for the rod and main bearings

And yesterday I learned that Allison bearings lasted longer than Merlin bearings. Now I know why.

Knurled
10/31/16 12:11 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
NickD wrote: TIL that Allison V12s actually used silver for the rod and main bearings
And yesterday I learned that Allison bearings lasted longer than Merlin bearings. Now I know why.

Allisons generally made less power?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/31/16 2:41 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
Allisons generally made less power?

Equipped the same, they had about the same power ratings. The Allison was restricted by the USAAC from having the turbo-supercharger installed. It only had an integral supercharger that was smaller than the Merlin. The P-38 Lightning had the two stage setup and did nicely with it.

Knurled
10/31/16 6:29 p.m.

I thought the Lightnings' engines had turbos, but made around 1600-1700hp vs. the Merlins' 2000+.

Of course, the Lightning had the advantage of having TWO engines.

Weird: I was just reading about these yesterday since a featured article on Wikipedia was about one of those racing P-51s. Those planes look kinda sad to me, with their wings bobbed. It's like seeing a WRX STi that was slammed down to its bumpstops.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/31/16 6:48 p.m.

Today I learned that its hard to hate a miata that is cheap, and makes your daughter giggle with glee.

Guess i need to stop picking on them at the cruise ins now...

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
10/31/16 6:57 p.m.
NickD wrote: Today I learned that if you threaten to chuck a gourd at your boss' head, he will approve your vacation time request that he has been sitting on for several days.

I hope he has a good sense of humor and the job is there when you return... :)

Knurled
10/31/16 7:25 p.m.

In reply to GSmith:

Any job where you can't throw veggies at your employer is not a job worth going back to

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/31/16 8:30 p.m.
Knurled wrote: I thought the Lightnings' engines had turbos, but made around 1600-1700hp vs. the Merlins' 2000+. Of course, the Lightning had the advantage of having TWO engines. Weird: I was just reading about these yesterday since a featured article on Wikipedia was about one of those racing P-51s. Those planes look kinda sad to me, with their wings bobbed. It's like seeing a WRX STi that was slammed down to its bumpstops.

There are over 170 flying Mustangs as of late. There is only one Strega. There is only Dago Red. There is only one Precious Metal.

To me, the race planes are far more significant to aviation than a non combat restoration.

Slamming an STi is to look fast. Bobbing wings is to be fast.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/1/16 9:27 a.m.

TIL that you can get a $300 adapter plate for a Toyota 1UZ to a Z32 Nissan transmission... http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/adapter-plates/1uzfe-to-z32-transmission-adapter-plate.html

Time to find a clapped out 300zx...

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
11/5/16 9:57 a.m.

TIL, that yes, it IS possible to sneeze, cough, and fart simultaneously in front of my MIL

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 225

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4dDU9sjDlZbvaRrdqZH0raXzxoupPeCeAyVXDuuSBK8akrvzMzMmP6hmJjrPm8rU