1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 225
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/5/16 2:20 p.m.

YIL (Yesterday I Learned) that I thought I would be able to see the Cubs World Series rally. Me...and 5 million other people. Nope.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
11/5/16 2:41 p.m.

Today I learned that the miata gets 32mpg without me trying.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/7/16 7:39 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

My '91 did too. With frequent red line shifts and general not-nice-to-fuel-economy type driving.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/16 8:19 a.m.

Learned that if you are coming in from work and walk by your project car and hear it beeping and wonder wtf and then further investigation finds the year old ten year life span smoke detector in your car be careful how you approach your wife.

I further learned that if you "fix" said alarm and reinstall it and then a coupe weeks later you walk by your second fridge and it is beeping and you find said alarm in the freezer you don't approach your wife about it. You go get a new alarm.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/7/16 8:28 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: YIL (Yesterday I Learned) that I thought I would be able to see the Cubs World Series rally. Me...and 5 million other people. Nope.

TIL that the Cubs World Series rally was the 7th largest gathering of humans in known history, and the largest gathering in US history.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
11/7/16 9:54 a.m.

In reply to dean1484: You must have married into the same family I did.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/7/16 10:00 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
Appleseed wrote: YIL (Yesterday I Learned) that I thought I would be able to see the Cubs World Series rally. Me...and 5 million other people. Nope.
TIL that the Cubs World Series rally was the 7th largest gathering of humans in known history, and the largest gathering in US history.

I'm skeptical of those numbers... but in any case, yeah, ginormous gathering of people.

I'm just annoyed by the suburbanites that come and trash the city, then complain that its dirty. It wasn't dirty until you couldn't find the damn trash can, shiny happy people!

(Disclosure: I was born and raised a suburbanite, and now live in the suburbs which makes me a suburbanite--I just loved my time in the city and Love Chicago)

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/16 4:30 p.m.
dculberson wrote:

Something something typical Chicago going for quantity over quality just like their hot dogs and pizza

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/16 5:43 p.m.

In reply to mtn:

I get that every day. The bus started it's day trash and urine free like most of the rest of us and stays that way until it starts picking up people.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/9/16 9:42 a.m.

TIL that fantasy football is just like dungeon and dragons but for football nerds. Everyone nerds on something.

dean1484
11/9/16 3:39 p.m.
RossD wrote: TIL that fantasy football is just like dungeon and dragons but for football nerds. Everyone nerds on something.

Ohhh I have to use that line!!!

dean1484
11/10/16 6:48 p.m.

TIL:My dog likes bread and butter sandwich pickles.

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
11/11/16 7:45 p.m.

You'll have to zoom in to really see, but people really can and do surf in Cleveland!

https://goo.gl/photos/XpgN6uGNi1aaS2EN7

Looked like about 5' swells. The kite surfer was awesome.

Knurled
11/11/16 8:05 p.m.
asoduk wrote: You'll have to zoom in to really see, but people really can and do surf in Cleveland!

There's NO SURF IN CLEVELAND.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/16 5:34 p.m.

Today I learned that not only do you not want to get the Flu, you also don't want to get the Flu Test. It's like getting a throat culture, except they stick the long wooden Q-Tip up your nose and tickle the bottom of your brain. I did not enjoy that at all.

Bronchitis FTW!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/16/16 8:42 p.m.

Today I learned the big bulky p71 gets 6 more mpg than the tiny miata, despite having twice the weight and twice the cylinders.

java230
java230 Dork
11/16/16 9:02 p.m.

TIL I like trucks with big turbos that burn semi refined dino squeezings.

Knurled
11/16/16 9:48 p.m.

TIL that I simply do not have enough 4x4.5 wheels. I only had five complete sets and a few pairs this morning.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/17/16 11:38 a.m.

Today I learned I can control the voices in my head telling me to do bad things.

NickD
NickD Dork
11/17/16 12:22 p.m.

Today I learned that there was apparently a (very rare) AMC Eagle convertible variant called the Sundancer

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
11/17/16 1:20 p.m.

TIL that Subaru is not a brand, but a cult. Our salesman said he had owned 19 and he is only 32.

NickD
NickD Dork
11/17/16 1:37 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: TIL that Subaru is not a brand, but a cult. Our salesman said he had owned 19 and he is only 32.

It's kinda true. My father was a diehard GM car guy, would only own GM cars, hated foreign cars. Then I bought my $1100 '93 Loyale and he helped out working on that a few times and was like "This thing is great". Revived a free '99 Forester that had been sitting for 3 years for my sister and it turned into "I have to have one". He has since bought the '93 Loyale off of me when I retired it for a Grand Cherokee and bought a '99 Legacy Outback wagon for my mother and doesn't want any other brand of car anymore.

Same thing with a co-worker of mine. Also only a GM guy and then a few times at work we used my Loyale to tow stuff (full-size trucks) with it and he watched me go through snow up to the axles with it. The next thing I know, he goes out and buys an '03 Legacy Outback wagon. After buying it, he told me "I know why you love these things now. I'm the kind of guy that is never impressed by anything, but this actually did it"

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/17/16 1:49 p.m.

Basil, how many head gaskets is that?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/17/16 4:42 p.m.

Today I learned that Drive made at least one damn good guitar.

Not bad for a company that was around for about 5 minutes and made some super cheap crap

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
11/17/16 7:44 p.m.

In reply to NickD:

So, what's the magic? Is it just the AWD being so great, or are there other aspects that hook people? I know they are considered very reliable (except for the head gaskets ). I'll have to say I was impressed with the 2017 Outback I drove-- it handled and rode a lot better than our Highlander. If you read the car mags reviews they tend to poo-poo them in favor of more expensive, less reliable SUVs like Audi.

We're considering one because we expect to move to the Rocky Mountains next year and we've heard a lot of good things about the AWD. In the mountains it seems like every other car is a Subaru...

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 225

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3GezqRJvEVQiXR0WUZJHIY3ulMKJVKxDKiBvstU3CTOHLqKf3WQPODAlYPMQgBA5