1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 225
NickD
NickD Dork
11/18/16 6:29 a.m.

In reply to Basil Exposition:

They rock in the snow, which is important here in Central NY. Nothing else I've drive has been as good in the snow as them, even my Grand Cherokee. They are also a dream to work on. My Loyale, I changed a starter in 5 minutes and did intake gaskets in under an hour. The head gasket issue, in my opinion, is kind of overblown. Been around a number of Subarus and have never changed a head gasket once. I also just like how they drive and feel, they have a Subaru-ness to them that's hard to describe and are incredibly useful.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/16 12:38 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: In reply to NickD: So, what's the magic? Is it just the AWD being so great, or are there other aspects that hook people?

They have good driving dynamics, and it becomes obvious when working on them that they were designed by engineers.

Everything on them is easy to do. Everything. Maybe not getting the F.U. bolt out of the rear suspension, but that's a rust issue, not a design fault.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
11/18/16 3:00 p.m.

In reply to NickD and Knurled:

Thanks, guys. We are in Steamboat Springs now and just had a big snowfall. The wife commented on how all the Subarus are jetting around like nothing happened while she is tip toeing in a rented 4 wheel drive Suburban. I think she is sold!

NickD
NickD Dork
11/18/16 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Basil Exposition:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2OzK-oRPCbs

This video sold me on Subaru's AWD

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/16 4:50 p.m.

In reply to NickD:

WHICH all wheel drive? Subaru has, literally, made every possible type of AWD. Selectable all-or-nothing, electronic all-or-nothing, electronic front to all, bevel diff, planetary diff, viscous limited slip bevel diff, Ferguson viscous clutches in the rear axles instead of center and rear diffs (you really need to imagine Bubba talking about shrimp right about now)...

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
11/19/16 10:26 a.m.
kazoospec wrote: If you do the same job twice within an hour (in this case, removing the driver's seat from a 2002 Protege), it goes MUCH faster the second time. I also learned to double check the seat belt receiver when installing a used seat slider.

TIL - In order:

1. Contrary to my assumptions, General Ultimax Artics are directional.

2. It wasn't such a bad thing my family got me 2 floor jacks for Christmas over the past few years.

3. Re-learned that whole "doing a job twice" thing.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/16 4:25 p.m.

TIL that aerosolized FluidFilm will form a thick fog and settle on the windshield of the car. This will later result in a very nasty phone call from the better half when she turns west at the same time as the only glimpse of sun we had today .

I stupidly reminded her that it's her fault for the car not being at home EVER in the past two weeks when it wasn't 30 and snowing. Mistake two, don't argue with mad woman .

Hal
Hal UltraDork
11/19/16 5:04 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: I'll have to say I was impressed with the 2017 Outback I drove-- it handled and rode a lot better than our Highlander.

Great ride, good mileage, fantastic in the snow, and you can do stuff like this in them

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/20/16 3:55 p.m.

Most of you are aware that I'm not a fan of my ex. Or her new husband. Last year I virtually begged them for some relief from the child support (he earns 8x what I do) and was told essentially to piss up a rope.

Today I learned that he lost his job. Hard to feel bad for some people, thanks karma.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/20/16 4:42 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Ha ha ha ha! Dude! Am I bad for laughing at your buddy's predicament?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/20/16 6:25 p.m.

"Buddy". Yeah, that's what he is.

Technically "Eskimo brother" but I don't feel any special kinship to people I've sold my used cars too.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/20/16 6:54 p.m.

TIL if the points look nasty and it still runs, and you don't have new points, don't mess with the points. If you do mess with the points the 900lb garden tractor becomes a piece of yard art you have to push uphill back to the shed.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/21/16 9:29 a.m.

TIL that our new daughter weighs 8 lb 10 oz and both her and momma are doing fine. Our two year old needs to meet her yet. Exciting.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
11/21/16 6:48 p.m.
RossD wrote: TIL that our new daughter weighs 8 lb 10 oz and both her and momma are doing fine. Our two year old needs to meet her yet. Exciting.

Congratulations. No need to tell you anything about sleep, you've already had that experience.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
11/21/16 9:01 p.m.

Today I learned that the miata is in much better shape than i thought.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/22/16 2:46 a.m.

TIL that this forum is dead at 2am.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/22/16 6:17 a.m.

TIL, Rossd surfs the forum with a newborn in his arms. Awwwww

NickD
NickD Dork
11/22/16 7:06 a.m.

Today I learned (or rather, relearned) that a ZJ Grand Cherokee with 3 blown shocks has, umm, nauseating driving dynamics. Ever been seasick in a car before?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
11/22/16 7:10 a.m.

YIL that a mother, her adult daughter and three kids should not live in the same house.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/22/16 7:15 a.m.

In reply to NickD:

Most seasick driving for me was an Astro van with 275k miles on the original shocks. Woof. I was taking it on the babe rally too so replaced them prior to the event. No way I was going through the mountains like that!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
11/22/16 4:40 p.m.

SRT8 300Cs have a lot of thrust. It is fun to drive but man is it big, like a fast dump truck.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/22/16 5:46 p.m.

Not only is the p71 the only car I've ever had with working air conditioning, it heats the cabin faster than anything I've ever owned. I guess I learned winter won't suck so bad this year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
11/23/16 6:11 a.m.

Last night I learned that I can purchase, repair the water pump on, and winterize an RV in the span of 4 hours as the temperature drops below freezing.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/23/16 11:50 a.m.

TIL that at 6'2" I can fit in, and drive, a stock '93 Miata. But I'd really need one with a foamectomy, the front edge of the seat lifted, and a deeper steering wheel (or steering wheel spacer) to be realistically usable. With my foot on the brake (not depressed) my knee was hitting the bottom of the steering wheel enough that I couldn't turn the steering wheel.

This is all good news as I had previously written off The Answer as a possibility due to my height.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
11/23/16 12:23 p.m.

Today I learned that I am not 17 any more. Picked up (with a helper) a small block chevy shortblock and carried it 20 feet to my truck last night.

Last night i was still 17.

Today i am sure as E36 M3 NOT.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 225

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AG2PjU3Ow6HEjJA0zi98Yf2lmiWfALShinuEAhtTDKxvkSFWBcgvKAfGhEPsYsK8