1 ... 222 223 224
Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/24 7:22 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

TIL that there is such a thing as a Vortex Cannon and I want one.smiley 

Please note the internet celebrity's stupidity as he has himself shot in the head with the thing and complains of a concussion after about the 3rd or 4th round.

My really old idea: a weaker version of this thing could have applications in railroad safety. People don't always hear the train. I think whether this has application at all would come down to calibration. If you smack every wayward pedestrian off their feet, no good, but if you can tap them on the back of the head... maybe?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/24 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

The Prodrive turbo-friendly (as these things go) "Rocket" antilag system was a turbocharger up-pipe with a combustor inside it... that had geometry engineered to make those vortexes, aimed at the turbo.  It spun the turbo with a well engineered pressure ring and not just brute-force pop-bang-BANG-BANG exploding things in the exhaust manifold.

Skip ahead to 6:50ish for the vortex goodness.

One enterprising autocrosser built such a system for a Honda S2000 after copying the setup from the patents.  The videos are amazing... sitting at the start line at a fairly low engine RPM, but the turbo is spinning 100k+ and ready to instantly make power.

It worked VERY well but needed a small nation's GDP in Inconel to fabricate, and even then it constantly required repair and maintenance.  Not a problem if you are a major WRC team where such expenses are a drop in the bucket and you have dozens of people to work in the background, more of a problem if you're a lone privateer.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/24 11:59 p.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

Your saying to mount the cannon onto the train engine? Nice idea. Good for herds of moose and bears also.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/12/24 10:24 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Yeah, basically. I'm sure there are limits to the forward speeds at which such a thing would be effective, so it'd probably be useful only in a narrow scope of cases.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/24 2:51 p.m.

TIL:

The name "UB40" was selected in reference to an attendance card issued to people claiming unemployment benefits from the UK government Department of Employment. The designation UB40 stood for Unemployment Benefit, Form 40.

I always thought it was a submarine thing.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/24 9:19 p.m.

TIL that the Allies laid pipelines under the English Channel to supply gasoline to support the D-Day invasion.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/24 9:40 a.m.

TIL that Chevy apparently no longer makes a V6-powered truck (at least in the US). Since trading in her original (2019) black Colorado WT for the gray 2022 WT that she has now The Dancer has said that she eventually wants to go back to having a black one, and the current one has started having a very annoying problem where she can't get the key out of the ignition when she shuts it off and puts it into park- it's apparently not an uncommon problem with them related to a microswitch in the shifter assembly (I've never had an issue with it, but I think I shift it into park a bit differently than she does). As it's a known problem and the truck is still under warranty, it should be something they will fix (usually by replacing the shifter assembly from what I've read)- but it's also a reason to take a look and see what trading up to a new one would look like.

The current Colorado trucks are a new generation that started last year so are considerably different than the 2019/2022's which were the same generation/platform- and the only options for engines are turbo-I4's, which she's not happy about as she has always had and preferred the power of a V6 (she may change her mind after driving one of the new turbo-4's though). My biggest concerns with getting a new truck would be a) interest rate on the loan compared to what we have now and b) with it being a new generation of Colorado, the hard shell cover we have on the current one may not fit on the new one (the bed is likely the same overall dimensions, but I'm not sure the mounts would still work), which would be another $1k+ expense.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that they still don't make an electric or hybrid Colorado- given the truck is our primary traveling vehicle, and electric wouldn't likely work well, but a hybrid would help with the massive amount of City miles that she puts on it driving it around for work.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/17/24 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Have her drive one.  The turbo 2.0 fours in our Volvos make notably more torque than the 3.6 V6 in our van.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/17/24 10:02 a.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:
VolvoHeretic said:

TIL that there is such a thing as a Vortex Cannon and I want one.smiley 

Please note the internet celebrity's stupidity as he has himself shot in the head with the thing and complains of a concussion after about the 3rd or 4th round.

My really old idea: a weaker version of this thing could have applications in railroad safety. People don't always hear the train. I think whether this has application at all would come down to calibration. If you smack every wayward pedestrian off their feet, no good, but if you can tap them on the back of the head... maybe?

Its really easy to make one of these out of a garbage can. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
9/17/24 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

At some point if she is serious about wanting a newer (or more accurately, black...) one she's going to have to. I'm thinking she'll be OK with the engine, and will love some of the newer stuff on it like the birds-eye camera view of what's around the truck (parking it can be a challenge for her at times- though at times moreso for me since she only drives the truck but I drive the slightly-smaller QX4 and the much smaller E46). I'm pretty set on getting one with the dual-zone climate control as well so she can make her side as hot or cold as she wants and I can keep mine where I'm comfortable at the same time.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/17/24 11:49 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

The current Colorado trucks are a new generation that started last year so are considerably different than the 2019/2022's which were the same generation/platform- and the only options for engines are turbo-I4's, which she's not happy about as she has always had and preferred the power of a V6 (she may change her mind after driving one of the new turbo-4's though). My biggest concerns with getting a new truck would be a) interest rate on the loan compared to what we have now and b) with it being a new generation of Colorado, the hard shell cover we have on the current one may not fit on the new one (the bed is likely the same overall dimensions, but I'm not sure the mounts would still work), which would be another $1k+ expense.

The turbo-4 Colorado is rated for 700lbs more towing capacity than the old V6s. The new GM turbo-4 is a seriously stout piece (9500lb towin capacity in the Silverado!) and it's smooth and very reliable. Guarantee the tonneau cover will not swap though. The 2023 Colorado/Canyon is an entirely new beast fromt the ground up. 

I will say that the new Colorado has the absolutely disastrous new GM infotainment system that requires your phone to be paired to the vehicle over wi-fi, and requires an active (and expensive) data susbscription through OnStar, in lieu of Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. It's clunky, slow and prone to issues and customers absolutely loath it. Also, GM went the absolutely moronic route of completely eliminating the headlight switch, so the headlights are now controlled through the radio touchscreen to turn them on and off, and they use the auto high beam (which doesn't work great) to change modes. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
9/17/24 12:57 p.m.
NickD said:
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

The turbo-4 Colorado is rated for 700lbs more towing capacity than the old V6s. The new GM turbo-4 is a seriously stout piece (9500lb towin capacity in the Silverado!) and it's smooth and very reliable. Guarantee the tonneau cover will not swap though. The 2023 Colorado/Canyon is an entirely new beast fromt the ground up. 

I will say that the new Colorado has the absolutely disastrous new GM infotainment system that requires your phone to be paired to the vehicle over wi-fi, and requires an active (and expensive) data susbscription through OnStar, in lieu of Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. It's clunky, slow and prone to issues and customers absolutely loath it. Also, GM went the absolutely moronic route of completely eliminating the headlight switch, so the headlights are now controlled through the radio touchscreen to turn them on and off, and they use the auto high beam (which doesn't work great) to change modes. 

Yikes, that doesn't sound good. I doubt she'll worry too much about the headlight switch (if the lights behave decently), but she'll hate it if the phone connection is more problematic (and if you have to pay to do the same thing that was free using CarPlay before). 

Ultimately though we're going to have to go in and look over and drive one of them and see what we think. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/17/24 1:28 p.m.
NickD said:

Also, GM went the absolutely moronic route of completely eliminating the headlight switch, so the headlights are now controlled through the radio touchscreen to turn them on and off, and they use the auto high beam (which doesn't work great) to change modes. 

Glad to see that GM is continuing their grand old tradition of inventing byzantine new solutions to simple ergonomic questions that were solved perfectly decades ago.

1 ... 222 223 224

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A0ybR8jWLiCOYvasvgabfePwn0iadAYEhP1Q5FegmtZ6LkbYC8EkuncpqGm6FIUA