1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 225
mapper
mapper HalfDork
9/13/16 8:25 p.m.

TIL which section is the return from the oil filter back to the pan. No really, I never knew. The return from the engine is the outer holes and the center threaded section is the return to the pan. Thank you random impulse to search the internet.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
9/13/16 9:15 p.m.

In reply to mapper:

Correct on the flow, not where the filter is in the system. The oil filter doesn't dump into the pan (aside from some auxiliary "bypass filters"), the oil pump pumps oil into the outer holes, filtered oil comes out the center and goes to the bearings and valvetrain, the oil returns to the pan from leaking out of the bearings and valve train parts (this is what cools them and why you need oil pressure).

E.G. GM LSx

Ford Windsor

mapper
mapper HalfDork
9/13/16 9:30 p.m.

That's what I meant to say! Should have checked what I wrote before posting. It was right in my head though!

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
9/14/16 8:23 a.m.

There's a bunch of different names for this kind of horn/trumpet.

Fanfare, Herald, Fox Hunting, Hunting, Coach, Post, Christmas, Greek, and probably more.

I've always called them Mothy Python Trumpets.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
9/14/16 8:30 a.m.

Today I learned, it is not smart to take your Jaguar with the "leaper" on the hood thru an automated car wash, as the roller rips them off the hood.

NickD
NickD Dork
9/14/16 8:40 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Today I learned, it is not smart to take your Jaguar with the "leaper" on the hood thru an automated car wash, as the roller rips them off the hood.

Ouch. I avoid automated car washes in general, for that reason.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/16 7:24 p.m.

In reply to mapper:

Easy way to remember.

The outside of ANY filter, spin-on, canister, fuel filter, whatever, is the dirty side. Clean side is the inside.

The exception that proves the rule: GM made some weird air filter housings in the late 80s/early 90s where the dirty air came up the inside and flowed to the outside.

Knurled
9/14/16 7:29 p.m.

TIL: It's very easy to change a front door on a Honda Fit. And if you use a cardboard box open on the end to support the door initially while you start the first bolt, you can shove a floorjack into the box and jack the door up from inside the box. Worked REALLY slick.

Also TIL: The actor who played Goose in Mad Max is going to be playing Harry Firth in a TV movie about Peter Brock.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/15/16 3:48 p.m.

TIL there are some people who think the F35 is a good idea.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/16 4:08 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: TIL there are some people who think the F35 is a good idea.

TIL, folks on the GRM forum can and will argue about anything and everything, especially things none of us can truly do anything about.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
9/15/16 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce):

It was supposed to be a discussion that had two differing opinions. TI(Re)L that something like that is impossible on the internet.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/15/16 6:08 p.m.

Just how big a nascar road course wheel and Tire package is.

I'm not sure that I can make them fit under the challenge car.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/16 12:05 p.m.

I can walk 8+ miles a day, stop eating cookies and cut back on my Diet Pepsi and still gain weight.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/16/16 12:25 p.m.

TIL that thundercougarfacongoat and flight service can't get along

Also, I totally wrote my congressman and one senator about the F35

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/16 1:04 p.m.

TIL Cardholder services, one of many illegal telemarketing firms in this country, hang up IMMEDIATELY when you start trying to have phone sex with them. Must have flagged my number too, because it's been 2 weeks since I got a call, down from multiples per day. If they don't have to follow the laws, neither do I.

As a former legitimate telemarketer (I'm sorry, I am, but bills had to be paid), I don't understand why they hung up. Anything for a 5 minute break from getting screamed at and cussed out by people that don't know the specific language needed to stop the calls. I can only imagine how much E36 M3 they get NOT following the laws.

And for those of you not already on the DNC, you must say SPECIFICALLY "I'm on the Federal Do Not Call list, add me to yours" it will take 30 days to get your number out of the system. But that's useless for the firms not following the laws to begin with. I recommend an airhorn for those.

Speaking at least for AT&T UVerse and Dish Network, just saying you're on the Do Not Call list, or telling them not to call back isn't enough. Seriously, as a caller, IF I added you to the list without hearing specifically that you wanted to be put on OUR list, I got in trouble for it, and your number usually got doubled up on the call list. Corporate Auditors are extremely anal about such things.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/16/16 2:01 p.m.

TIL that young people have a hard time explaining what an email "CC" is, when they have no idea what carbon paper is.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
9/16/16 2:16 p.m.

TIL Spray the plastic dip on thick. (I stole that.)

Wall-e
9/16/16 5:15 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

Lately I've been answering with "Hello (whatever town shows up on the caller id)! You're on the air. Why do you think pedophilia needs to be decriminalized?" This usually leads to some confused silence and a hang up.

Knurled
9/16/16 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

You. You're my kind of shiny happy person.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
9/17/16 2:59 p.m.

THEY MADE CENTRA TYPE 6es IN 4x108.
OMG.
Aaaaaaghfdkjghsdifgjdfgjjvdfhbv(dead)

EDIT: off to make a vintage wheel thread. BRB.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/17/16 4:14 p.m.

Today I learned that apparently there is a gas shortage in my area . Wtf?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/17/16 4:51 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Today I learned that apparently there is a gas shortage in my area . Wtf?

Same thing here in Raleigh. I went to two separate Sheetz stations and they all had signs on the pumps. And the one car that has a full tank right now is on stands getting the rear axle seals replaced. Crap...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/17/16 5:16 p.m.

Found a station here in town filled up 15 gallons worth fuel jugs and three cars. I would have filled the 4th but they ran out. According to the Google the pipeline down in the Gulf of Mexico broke and the whole Southeast is going to be getting shortage.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/17/16 6:37 p.m.

Tech tip of the day: When cleaning your shower do not mix Castrol super clean and all bathroom cleaners you can find together and rinse with hot water in an enclosed area. The resulting fumes leave you short of breath for the next while.

Wall-e
9/17/16 8:47 p.m.

I was reminded again that for someone who doesn't watch the news and doesn't inter-web much my mother can still call and check up on me surprisingly fast. I'm ok mom

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 225

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Plk5pjbVCQ8ka9zuAvUn4NPpfvRFZHXbjOrwVjzvSVqdtquscXnMQN2vLgwtqOnG