1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 225
fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
9/25/16 6:18 p.m.

TIL clay bar is a good thing, taught me a thing or two. What I thought oughta be clean paint on the E92 was not so much. Confirmed what ya think about horizontal surfaces holding more dirt than vertical but got a lesson on some areas I would never have figured.

I'm a believer now.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
9/28/16 4:46 a.m.

Today I learned how to cut tiles by scoring them with a glass cutter and breaking them over a wire coathanger.

So simple, much frustration and tile waste saved..

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/28/16 6:52 a.m.

TIL that the Accord is using 1 quart or more every 100 miles

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/16 9:25 a.m.

Well yesterday, I learned a "waterproof" galaxy s7 will not hold up in a commercial dishwasher. In a startling coincidence, my co-worker learned "get off your phone and do your job before I run it through the dish machine" is not a hollow threat.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
9/29/16 11:19 a.m.

I learned the birthday of the ballpoint pen founder was today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/09/28/who-was-ladislao-jose-biro-how-did-he-invent-the-ballpoint-pen-a/

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/16 2:01 p.m.

TIL 103 years ago today Rudolf Diesel made sure he wouldn't get caught up in the VW emissions scandal

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
10/1/16 3:10 p.m.

If you do the same job twice within an hour (in this case, removing the driver's seat from a 2002 Protege), it goes MUCH faster the second time. I also learned to double check the seat belt receiver when installing a used seat slider.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/1/16 10:51 p.m.

Small trucks of the Japanese variety appear to hold the value a hell of a lot better than big ones of the American variety.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/4/16 10:24 a.m.

TIL that I'll never have "the architect designing our home is waiting to hear back from the fountain designer" money.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/4/16 12:15 p.m.
RossD wrote: TIL that I'll never have "the architect designing our home is waiting to hear back from the fountain designer" money.

Dude, I am an architect and I couldn't afford to build new. I could afford the property, or the house, but not both.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/4/16 3:24 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Well the funny thing about your comment is that my boss is the engineer on the project (I'm an engineer too) and we were doing our weekly meeting about all of our projects. He said that this residence project (IIRC 40,000 sf house) was on hold because the architect was waiting to hear back from the fountain designer.

Maybe I need to because a fountain engineer and make the big bucks!

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/6/16 8:27 p.m.

Today I learned I should prepare better next time I drive 2 hours to a junkyard to get engine swap parts on a whim.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/6/16 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

We've all done it....

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/16 6:54 p.m.

Today I remembered that you're not supposed to hit hardened steel with hardened steel.

The first time, I had to dig a wad of bearing race out of my abdomen with needlenose pliers, it was a bit under the surface. Felt like Robert DeNero in "Ronin" except it was right there instead of deep and gross.

Today, it whizzed past my left ear, taking a chunk out along the way. Didn't realize it took a chunk out until I wiped "sweat" off my head and my hand came back all red.

Didn't even hurt...

wae
wae Dork
10/8/16 1:04 p.m.

Today I learned there is a really big difference in amount of time, effort, and skill involved in vinyl wrapping a car versus individual motorcycle fairing pieces.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/8/16 1:06 p.m.
RevRico wrote: Well yesterday, I learned a "waterproof" galaxy s7 will not hold up in a commercial dishwasher. In a startling coincidence, my co-worker learned "get off your phone and do your job before I run it through the dish machine" is not a hollow threat.

Hahaha haha, that's awesome.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/8/16 1:39 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

The fountain engineer may have a big fee, but how many jobs does he have? 3x the fee with 20% of the projects means less overall income. Gotta find the balance of something with a steady workload and decent fees.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/8/16 3:33 p.m.

Today I learned a 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid wants to throw you through the windshield when you so much as think about touching the brake pedal. I also learned they make really E36 M3ty autocross cars.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/16 3:44 p.m.
RevRico wrote: Today I learned a 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid **wants** to throw you through the windshield when you so much as think about touching the brake pedal. I also learned they make really E36 M3ty autocross cars.

Our Escapes had two modes, the more aggressive regen mode felt like that until you got used to it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/8/16 7:52 p.m.

Today I learned that I really like the tdi flipper I just picked up.

I also learned that the harbor freight oscillating tool with a scraper blade makes pretty short work of old greasy undercoat.

I also learned that the old greasy undercoat goes everywhere and sticks to everything.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
10/8/16 8:08 p.m.

TIL a bicycle without a front wheel will fit in the backseat of a Crown Vic.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
10/8/16 8:27 p.m.

TIL I am not nearly in as good of shape as I thought I was. I rolled with some guys from the local Judo club this morning. I did pretty well for the first two rounds but gassed pretty quickly after that. Also one of the early 20 something whoopersnappers called me sir. Lol

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
10/9/16 6:13 p.m.

What it's like to autocross a Corvette. A ZO6 Corvette. Actually a ZO6 Corvette on fresh A7s! I even managed to not spin, hit cones, stall, damage, or otherwise embarrass myself

Lot of fun, if you ever get the opportunity, I highly recommend it!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/16 6:47 p.m.

TIL that mice made a baseball sized mound of poop between my V710s and the desk I just removed from my garage.

Now let's see if I can learn ways of discouraging mice from being in my garage.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/9/16 9:03 p.m.

I learned that 22 runs in the elky at the autocross was 1 too many. Boiled the power steering fluid.

I also learned that the axle seal is leaking.

Lastly I learned that the truck has FAR more potential than the driver. My best time was a mid 65. An s2000 driver, in 2 fun runs, nailed a low 59. I thought I was getting everything I could from it....

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 225

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IuvWmcTCPzz4U72uwdN7SB4BueInIQZqfbUJ4vWTLKF41vJ43lzimHpTnAiOtW1d