Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/4/23 9:01 p.m.

I had two different Impalas (2000, 2006) for sales cars and I racked up a lot of miles.  

Back then I rented a Toyota Camry and thought; have any of the GM engineers ever driven a Camry? Wow!

Time marches on and I have a '16 Chevrolet Silverado x 151,000 miles and I'm looking at a new sales ride. The truck is great - a ton of room for Hoss - normal GM truck.  I could drive it to 250,000 miles except I have OCD with changing rides. 

All the other sales guys at work drive trucks and Jeeps.  I joked and told everyone I'm going to buy a beige Camry and just change the oil every 10,000 miles.  They freaked - No!

Then I see this Camry TRD - looks goofy - it's not any more performance but I'm totally a Japanese Classic Car fan and would love to own a basic car that would jam out 30,000 miles a year.  No sunroof is key to me and I also like the NA V6 and it's way cheaper than a new Silverado.

I'm embarrassed to ask - any Camry guys here want to speak up?  

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/4/23 9:47 p.m.

I've rented a couple of Camrys of this generation.  They do have a sportier feel than the older generation models.  I just can't get comfortable in the seats.  But, having said that, i'd rock the hell out of that TRD or an XSE.  The 2.5 even has a nice growl to it.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/5/23 7:39 a.m.

What is there to say? It's a good car.

Nothing to get excited about, but excitement is a double-edged sword.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
1/5/23 9:55 a.m.

I briefly had an XSE V6. Even with that motor I wouldn't say the car had any character. It was competent, but I grew bored of it extremely quickly and sold it after 4 months

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
1/5/23 10:28 a.m.

It's got red seatbelts! And I think a sportier exhaust? I'd certainly check one out.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
1/5/23 10:30 a.m.

GRM tried to turn an older camry into a track car but gave up after killing two engines from oil starvation.  Apparently there was no baffling in the oil pan. 

Honestly all toyota needed to do with the TRD camry is to improve the suspension setup and tire/wheel combo, they already make close to 300hp from the 3.5L v6. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
1/5/23 10:35 a.m.

The 2GR in those later models is close enough to 300hp to make no difference. The 6speed auto isn't terrible. Don't let anyone with an impact gun touch the lug nuts unless they've been loosened. 
Shame to say, but the fastest car I've ever owned was a 3.5 Camry. It was soul-suck boring, but it would scoot. For some reason, the issues we see with the DI motor don't seem to affect Camrys.

I don't want to endorse the purchase, but I can't think of a good argument against it for a commuter. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/5/23 10:50 a.m.

My wife commutes in a new Camry--2021 XLE V6, I think.  Heck, might be a 2022.  She traded the V6 Accord for it.  She laughs at me when I use phrases like "it has a big 4-cylinder in it."  She won't drive a 4-cylinder.  If a six is the biggest engine offered, that's what she'll have. 

She likes the Camry.  I think I liked the Accord better, but the Camry does everything you need a commuter to do.  In terms of handling and acceleration, I think it's outrageous, but I grew up driving cars from the 70's and 80's.

Pro:  Comfortable, fast, reliable, 30+mpg.

Con:  Low-profile tires are expensive.

It's really not hard to figure out why the Camry is consistently the best-selling sedan in America.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/5/23 11:36 a.m.

There used to be a time you need to be a connoisseur and well off to have panoramic roof, blood red seats, and quad pipes. You needed Euro.

Now you can get that in a Camry.   Love it. 

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/5/23 2:27 p.m.

I've reviewed two of them. They're the cheapest way to get a V6 in a Camry, last I checked. Otherwise, they are fine. Not really "sporty" in a way that encourages you to hoon. But I appreciate what Toyota did with them as part of their "no boring cars" edict and they are indeed a little weird. It needs a LSD and the 8-speed auto is poorly behaved if you want to shift it yourself.

Here's a video I made on the 2022:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-__bKzrzMes

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/5/23 7:58 p.m.

This is the TRD you posted:

This is the Camry XSE in the same white/black:

Similar white/black with no side skirts and a smaller wheel which probably translates to a smoother ride and certainly less expensive tires.  But look close at the trunk lid to see its a Hybrid.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/5/23 8:03 p.m.

Camry TRD gets 22/25/31 mpg

Camry Hybrid gets 44/46/47 mpg

fueleconomy.gov says that results in a savings of $850 for every 15k miles driven. 

Toyota Build Your Own site

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/5/23 8:22 p.m.

I sat in a sunroof XSE - call me Hoss but my head is cocked under the sunroof.  

I found my man card in my office drawer so I'm going to stretch it a little more with the Silverado.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/5/23 8:43 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

On the build site it shows the sunroof being a free standing option, meaning you can get one with out...if you can find one.  I imagine the dealers like to "up the bill" adding on the sunroof.  

Staying with the Silverado is possibly wise also. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/23 8:44 p.m.

No, we don't have a Camry. We do, however have a Camry dent!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/5/23 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) :

Like the video - thanks for the link.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/23 9:00 p.m.

My 84 y/o dad has a 2018 Camry LE that I got him to buy the lease out on a few months ago (he's not driving)...9,400 mile, bought out the lease for $10,400 so no brainer.

My 18 y/o daughter is home from college for the holidays and I've been letting her drive it to circulate the fluids & burn off the moisture.

We took it on a 30 mile trip just before Christmas to pick up some special take out, she was driving and she bombed it on an on-ramp.

We both just LOFA'sO at how goofy it's handling was...total Dutch Roll rotation / lift from its rear inside wheel and nose dive / under steer plow from its front end.

It's a great, great car for somebody that just cares about reliable, economical, comfortable, safe transportation but for driving enthusiast, I think many will be disappointed.

Perhaps the higher trim levels are better but the LE level just left us frustrated....you can be comfy and sure footed at the same time; see how Mazda does it if you need help.  

Rramirez
Rramirez New Reader
1/5/23 9:22 p.m.

I have a 2020 Camry hybrid for a company car and I absolutely hate it. I have a fusion hybrid before and really wish I would have gone with another fusion. The driveline is very decent but the chassis/driving dynamics are horrible. The interior is poorly thought out with minimal storage compared to the fusion. The infotainment pisses me off every day that I drive it. I'm sure the trd is faster and has better suspension, but everything else about the car sucks. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/5/23 9:23 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

yeah camrys are good for your dads use. I purchased 5 Corolla Le new last yesr (21k a pop) - to supplement the 6 mirai I have in the farm/business fleet.  The 250k mile each corolla will go with no maintenance makes it no brainer for me as the Camry is much pricier for my employee needs

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/23 9:35 p.m.
Rramirez said:

the chassis/driving dynamics are horrible.

I know right...it's like they used every computer modeling software application available to cause a modern car to handle like a 1970's boat.

Edit - I'm a huge fan of the Fusion...I had an AWD Fusion rental during the polar vortex of 2019 in Minnesota and that car was absolutely brilliant!!!

I would be highly honored to buy the Ford engineers that worked on it a round of beers.   

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
1/5/23 10:53 p.m.

Which of these gets the 7spd DCT trans.  I hear they are surprisingly fun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6KZmB2C0kD627tuMYUut5i3Q2QpqhGDf7LuoVCQmwykixwhPnXHYMNMi6aIFBeJ1