Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/3/22 2:48 p.m.

What's up Toyota?  You'all hit the year-end and realize you have a bunch of manual transmissions sitting around? 

What's with the single or the same dull color?

I'm still stuck on replacing my Silverado and I stopped by my local Toyota guy yesterday and asked about the base model Tundra they had.  While I was there I asked about the Taco's and the sales guy told me they had 10 in stock, with 9 with manual transmissions.  Me being a dick and downplaying my interest in them was all; "who would want to buy a manual?"........

Ten on the lot, white one sold and the balance are: six Silver colored Tacos and two Lunar Rock colored Tacos.  All boring colors - where are the bright blues? Red? Army green?

https://www.romeovilletoyota.com/new-vehicles/?_dFR%5Bmake%5D%5B0%5D=Toyota&_dFR%5Btransmission_description%5D%5B0%5D=6%2520Speed%2520Manual%2520Transmission&_dFR%5Btype%5D%5B0%5D=New&_paymentType=our_price

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/3/22 2:58 p.m.

Far out, man.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/22 2:58 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Lunar Rock? Is that what they call electrical box gray now? It's a hideous color in person. 

Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/3/22 3:18 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Lunar Rock? Is that what they call electrical box gray now? It's a hideous color in person. 

Ha, I call it cemmint. It varies from primer gray at night to sagebrush/minty gray in the day. It just needs a little dirt on it. I dig it, but there was some initial buyers remorse before it really grew on me.

Are those real, no BS prices? I expected the brakes to come on at some point in this market, but not quite this quickly. I bought mine (also a manual) about 3 months ago for straight MSRP. That was after calling about 35 dealers and hearing 3-9 months to get my hands on one. It was advertised at a similar price but the there was a bunch of BS adders tacked which brought it above MSRP that I had to (annoyingly) negotiate back down. Mine also came from IL (Elgin), seems to be where a lot of the 6-speeds get allocated, not sure why. 

I don't see a markdown on the autos, must be hard moving these (c'mon people, do the right thing, save the manuals)!

New taco is supposed to drop in '24, I figured this might be my last opportunity to buy new truck w/ a manual transmission. Looks like I potentially could have saved a few $k by waiting, but I always knew that was a risk and it was time to move on from my old truck. no regerts. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/3/22 3:42 p.m.

The dealer by me had legit pricing except for a mandatory $888 or $1995 ceramic coating.  $888 is one year guarantee.  

I like them but the sunroof cuts into my head so these wouldn't work.  Also check Kenosha Toyota.  

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/22 3:42 p.m.
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) said:
Toyman! said:

Ha, I call it cemmint. It varies from primer gray at night to sagebrush/minty gray in the day. It just needs a little dirt on it. I dig it, but there was some initial buyers remorse before it really grew on me.

Call me crazy but I really love that color. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/3/22 3:43 p.m.

In reply to Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) :

Do a thread on yours.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/3/22 3:46 p.m.

What is reverse like on the new ones?  My 2013 I had to use 4low whenever backing a trailer because Toyota felt 20mph in reverse was an appropriate speed at idle. 

11/3/22 4:03 p.m.
nocones said:

What is reverse like on the new ones?  My 2013 I had to use 4low whenever backing a trailer because Toyota felt 20mph in reverse was an appropriate speed at idle. 

way too high. It's been a long time since i've driven a 2nd gen, but I suspect they're similar. I actually ordered a 2-low kit so I can back up a trailer without destroying the clutch. I have no idea why toyota thought that reverse needed such a high ratio. 

11/3/22 4:08 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Do a thread on yours.

It might be a bit dull, there's not much happening in the way of modifications and won't be for a while. That's partially because it's new (and under warranty), and partially because all of my time & money is tied up in a major house renovation. Once the dust settles on that there are a few minor tweaks I plan on performing, maybe I'll feel sprightly enough by then to start a thread.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
11/3/22 4:40 p.m.

Damn this 9s tempting. Amazing to have that many on the lot let alone MT. In my neck of the woods the lots are still bare. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/3/22 4:47 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

Damn this 9s tempting. Amazing to have that many on the lot let alone MT. In my neck of the woods the lots are still bare. 

He walked me over to see them.  I acted all annoyed and asked why someone would buy a stick shift.....he said a guy came in for an auto tragic and bought a manual instead.  

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/3/22 5:05 p.m.
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) said:
nocones said:

way too high. It's been a long time since i've driven a 2nd gen, but I suspect they're similar. I actually ordered a 2-low kit so I can back up a trailer without destroying the clutch. I have no idea why toyota thought that reverse needed such a high ratio. 

yep..  that mod was on my list if I had kept it.  The worst part is in 4 Low the thing doesn't like to turn which you have to do a fair amount of when backing a trailer.  

Otherwise it was a very excellent truck and I enjoyed my time with it.

e30saam
e30saam New Reader
11/3/22 5:15 p.m.

They were hard to move lol. I paid 32k for my new 2020 cement TRD off-road 6 mt 4wd. Dealership had a few in stock and no one wanted manual. May hop back into another one if I can swing a similar deal. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
11/3/22 8:36 p.m.

The local dealer by me was flush with used, low mileage manual Tacos last fall. No new trucks on the lot of any flavor back then.

As much as I wanted to like like the stick, I just didn't enjoy it. If the engine had more torque and didn't need to be shifted as much when climbing hills, I think I'd have liked it more.

The color selection is kind of frustrating too. So many boring colors... I wanted army green, but gave in and chose metallic gray after a 6 month wait. I ended up with a '22 DCSB TRD sport V6 auto. It's a good little truck all in all. Only thing I would change is that I'd rather have a turbo 4 like the ranger than the Toyota 3.5 V6.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
11/3/22 10:52 p.m.

Totally- a good turbo 4 would be super retro for Toyota and a far better engine from a performance standpoint than the 6. 

e30saam
e30saam New Reader
11/4/22 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

The 3.5 made me sell the Tacoma lol. I preferred my 22r 4 speed from my Hilux and my 4.0 6 speed from my second gen. The 3.5 with a 6 speed is bizzare in a truck. It's like having a high revving engine that's used in a lotus Evora but in a tall heavy 4wd pickup with rev hang for days. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/4/22 10:06 a.m.

$40k for a Tacoma?  I'm good. 

wish I had my 86 hilux back. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/4/22 8:22 p.m.

Meanwhile Toyota decided to option automatics in 75% of the GR86s that they allotted to dealerships

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
11/4/22 9:14 p.m.

There's an 86 turbo 22re local to me that I'm desperately trying to avoid. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uBo9IeEwNaWBm8kyZckSfeYV2PoCWQaoa6fijGGjE53VypyCDjeTpdMy3P41VCPT