1 ... 90 91 92 93
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/24 12:10 p.m.

Everyone, before I get to our big news I'd just like to let you know that Yaro (our drone pilot in the 25th Airborne) received not 6 but 12 IFAKs!!

He's pretty pumped about it, and so are the guys he serves with (and so are we!)

Ok.  On to the big news.

You remember our girl Anna?  She was the 15-year-old we were sending art supplies to as she was using art as a form of therapy due to her diagnosis as having a sensory disorder?  We found out we wouldn't be delivering to her anymore as she has left Ukraine with her father and was now staying in a refugee shelter in the EU.

And then we found out that shelter was a very short distance from my temporary work assignment.  Yesterday, I used some money from our GoFundMe to make one last delivery to our girl.  Not knowing what she was able to bring with her, I tried my best to make an art kit from us that was complete, compact, and transportable. 

Today I was able to bring it to her in person.  Allow me to present what might be our last delivery to our girl Anna.

Guys.  I don't know if I'm sad we wont be seeing her anymore, or if I'm glad she's safely out of the country.  But I DO know this is the first time any of us have seen her smile in her photos.  And that's gotta say something.

Both her parents have already written to tell us how much she's enjoying our care package.  I've let her dad know that if we're ever needed then we're still out here.  For what it's worth, he's an industrial welder in Germany.  So if you know someone...

8/18/24 12:30 p.m.

Oh my goodness!  We're getting art pictures back!

If you noticed the mini-canvas and art easel in the previous post, then this one is for you!

The more I look at it, the more I love it!

8/19/24 7:00 a.m.

August 19th is "World Humanitarian Day"

Be sure to take a moment to celebrate on your day.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/19/24 10:14 a.m.

Hi everyone!!! heart

as i mention above the kids' list has changed a little bit. The three children have left Ukraine or are planning to do so in the near future(before the run). One of these kids as you've already seen, is our artist Anna.

I'd like to say that living in a state of constant threat and danger is hard, even for adults. Honestly, it's exhausting - emotionally first and foremost.

And what about kids? It's hard for me to imagine the consequences of such a childhood sad parents are trying to keep their kids as safe as they can indecision

So, we added to the list two new girl and one baby girl (an addition to one of the families) smiley

One of the girls is 13 yo - her name is Kira and her dad and uncle are serving in the UA army, her mom is a volunteer who helps soldiers and the wounded. I think if we give them a little support, it'll make them a little happy heart

The other story is sadder, unfortunately. The second girl is 6 yo, her name is Nika and she's going to school for the first time this year. Her dad was serving in the UA army... he was... he was killed in June. She really loves her dad and misses him very much broken heart 

Sorry guys, stories like this break my heart and make me cry broken heart crying 

None of us thought it would be a marathon and not a sprint. And it's a marathon where you don't know where or when you'll finish... but we have to keep moving and stay strong!!!

Have a good week, everyone!!! heart

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/20/24 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

And then we stumbled upon a mother's plea for help in one of the groups and knew we had to do something.

We still had a little of Vikki's "Mothers and Babies" fund left over, so Vikki set about shopping locally and organizing delivery. It's not going to set her up for life, but we thought maybe it will let her breathe easy tonight.

A short report on Moms and kids fund's work today smiley

We thought if we could support this mom just a little bit, that's important too. So i ordered groceries for the family and some sweets and juice for the kids - i hope it makes them a little happier heart

-translation-

Good afternoon. We got the package. Thank you so much.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/20/24 9:25 a.m.

Next, one of our babies is having orthopedic surgery in September. Well, diapers and baby food support is already on the way yes

Many thanks to everyone who makes all this help possible!!! heart

We continue to work!!! yes

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/23/24 1:45 p.m.

Hi everyone!!!

I guess a little bit of good news is always a good idea, isn't? smiley

Little Artem received support from us - diapers, baby food and fruit pureeheart

a little photo and warm words from his mom to all of you heart

-translation-

Vika, thank you so much for helping us.

a huge thanks to you and everyone involved in helping my son. Thanks for the goodies, thanks for the diapers. It's a big help to us. We're grateful to you all. May god grant you all good health and all of us a speedy peace.

Have a good weekend, everyone!!! and have a great time with your families!!!

heart

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/23/24 3:42 p.m.

Moms and kids fund's video report smiley

heart all of this was made possible because of you all heart

ummm... well... Bill and I had a little hand in it cheeky

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/27/24 9:46 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

Hi everyone!!!

I forgot to tell you something smiley in our good tradition - we will do a raffle for people who have donated for this trip.

Two prizes from me will be headed directly to two of you from Ukraine, from Dnipro.

I've already ordered them, hope you'll like it winkheart

Here are the prizes!!! smiley

1. F-16!!! Yeah!!! 

the aircraft are already in Ukraine, and according to our government, they are already helping to protect our skies!!! wink

The F-16 stamps, envelope and postcard will be sent to one of you directly from Ukraine wink

2. Kids drawing Ukraine of the future - stamps, postcard and envelope smiley

I believe that in the card as a moment of reunion, not goodbye heart

Hi everyone!!! heart How are you doing?

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/27/24 10:05 a.m.

One of the moms asked for support for her two little ones - they need diapers.

There's some money left in the moms and kids fund - so we can support them!!!

Little Eric and Rostislav got what they needed heart

and words of thanks from their mom to all who continue to support this effort heart

I'd also like to add(from me laugh) that you guys are awesome!!! heart

-translation-

Thank you all so much!!!

Thanks and may you and all those kind people be protected by a guardian angel. 

8/27/24 2:06 p.m.

Vikki, you have us a bit worried.  We've been watching the strikes the last two days, and can't think of a time since the beginning of the war that the entire map has been lit up like this:

The only thing more insane were the amount intercepted by your air defense!!!

Honestly, I was watching the posts come in from the volunteers.  Some were sheltered for entire DAYS.

Stay safe out there.  Let us know if you need anything.

8/27/24 2:10 p.m.

Everyone! I am officially back home from Germany!!

I was REALLY hoping to post on here with a successful report of another donation collection, but unfortunately our bad luck streak continued.

A Ukrainian woman collecting donations in Munich got in touch with us and together we decided I would pick up about 8 boxes of children's clothing that had been sent to her. Normally she deals more in medical supplies and the like, but someone donated these boxes of clothing and she had no kids in her network, nor an outlet. I was quick to inform her that we had a "near endless" supply of refugee children we could help in Dnipro and she was extremely happy to finally have a destination for the whole lot.

I'll he honest, I was really looking forward to a roof-buster with this one. Having those clothes with the toys and school supplies we are going to buy... I bet we could have been dragging the back bumper!

Unfortunately the world had other plans. The warehouse in Munich where the clothes were stored were in a "low emissions zone" for which my old truck doesn't qualify**.

We didn't know this would be an issue until about 7am on the delivery day (estimated time of pickup was 11am). Her car was too small to ferry the boxes out of the zone and she had no larger vehicle available to bring the whole kit to me...

100% being a believer in the phrase "punishable by fine, means permissible for a fee", I did look up what I'd be facing if I went in anyway: 80-Euro crying

(and I'm sorry, but I just don't have 80-euro that wouldn't be better served buying things for Ukraine).

We were dead in the water.

It was a bummer, but she's not given up hope. When a bigger vehicle (that meets Munich's emission standards) comes by, the supplies will be taken from her then.

Anyhoo, I am back home now and you know what that means: The truck needs work.

Why is the hood up, you ask? Nothin special. I noticed a slight exhaust leak beginning to develop on the drive. I put a wrench on the manifold bolts, and found one that was a little loose. Now she's tight as a drum.

And even better was the bit of cash I found in those donation boxes I left in my office while I was away! 24,500 Hungarian Forint was collected, or about $70. We're going to add that to this fundraiser which puts us very close to $1300 collected!

Thanks everyone, and my apologies in advance while I get my legs back under me. I've got a lot to get caught up on now that I'm back, but shopping is going to start VERY soon.

** You may have noticed that I added the asterisks to the comment about Munich's emissions standards. The requirement is "Euro-1 rated petrol, with a closed loop catalytic converter". This requirement went into effect in Europe in July of 1992 and my vehicle is a 1989. That means my truck was not originally equipped with such a system. I however, being a bit of a hippy, a reader of GRM (so, I don't believe that catalytic converters diminish performance) took it upon myself to install an aftermarket catalytic converter in the truck as one of my first modifications (bringing into compliance). In doing so, my truck actually DOES meet the written standards (closed loop system, with O2 sensor), but would still not qualify or pass an inspection because of my registration. This is something we might have been able to fight, had time been on our side. As it is now, like it is with every time this happens:

We didn't "fail", we just didn't succeed that time. Next time we'll know better wink

8/27/24 2:15 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

Moms and kids fund's video report smiley

heart all of this was made possible because of you all heart

ummm... well... Bill and I had a little hand in it cheeky

Oh my goodness!  That little girl with her blueberry birthday cake! heartheart

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/24 2:51 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

As promised everyone, here are the winners of this trip's raffle!

For Vikki's gifts:

WonkoTheSane and StilettoSS  Please send VikkiDp a PM with your addresses on it so she can send her prizes your way

For my gifts (I picked up a couple gift packages while in country):  DarkMonohue,  84FSP, and 11GTCS, please send me your info so I toss your boxes in the mail as well.

and I do apologize, but I will be ducking out at the end of this week so it won't be until July 1 that I'm able to post my packages.  Sorry about the delay.

Thanks everyone!!

Delay means nothing.  Don't apologize.

So a funny thing happened the other day when I went to check the mail.  There was this funky little Tyvek envelope in the mailbox.  It had stamps and stickers and bar codes from a far-off land on it, a return address with a familiar name but also letters we don't even have in our alphabet, and a little customs envelope on the back.  And inside, the butt-kickingest raffle prize pack I ever did see. 

We have a beautiful tryzub (trident) decal, a fantastic postcard (with handwritten note from Bill hisself, even), and three glorious morale patches, because we all need morale boosts from time to time.  And this.  Did I mention the envelope was funky?  I don't just mean visually.  As soon as I pulled it out of the mailbox, there was the slightest little mysterious aroma sneaking out.  Once opened, the source became obvious: a genuine Patron air freshener. 

Patron is a badass, yet he smells fresher and cleamer than I imagined a working-class hero would.  Kind of citrusy for a dog.  The sentiment, however, reeks of freedom and self-determination.  Good boy, cartridge.

I also want to mention our new t-shirt design.  I'm really hoping this one becomes a big seller.  Please click the pic to visit the store:

Thank you all for making this work.  It's more than a little amazing.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
8/28/24 11:59 a.m.

Needed to do a post on what I sent for our medic and you Vikki- I finally was able to send the panel and a bunch of solar  MPPT controllers I came into possession of, and I wanted to show you how to use them as backup power.

First off, I made a sort of "converter" for the panel, which originally ran 12v to an American SAE connector. With this SAE to XT60 she'll be able to charge the battery pack directly off the panel, and then be able to disconnect it and charge a car battery directly by attaching the clips to the SAE connector.

Now, the MPPTs. These guys have 3 inputs, all negative/positive, and run DC voltages. They have a solar panel input and output, lead acid battery input and output, and then a "power" out- they can do both 12v and 24v, and appear to fix voltages as low as 8-7 to 12 volts to keep power flowing, as proven by oscilloscope.

They also have clear USB ports for charging devices, and the output is meant to power 12v LED sources; so a car battery, a cheap solar panel, and some basic cables should be enough to keep your devices charged and also power something like an Internet router. If you need working panels I can hunt around for something.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/24 3:24 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

That's amazing. Very clever.

Also, I see you, Mister.

8/29/24 1:44 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

I LOVE that shirt!  Very "President Zelenskyy" laugh

8/29/24 1:58 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

That is so dang awesome.  You do realize I'm 100% going to have to play with these before I send them in devil

Actually, on a serious note:  I have an exide battery that registers as having a "dead cell" and that optima yellow top that is worthless in the Toyota.  I know the optima will run my 12v compressor refrigerator overnight.  Maybe I can get some life back in that exide...  But I'm thinking if I take the better of those two and add it to Vikki's set, then she would be "plug and play" without having to come out of pocket for a car battery.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/30/24 8:13 a.m.

Vikki, you have us a bit worried.  We've been watching the strikes the last two days, and can't think of a time since the beginning of the war that the entire map has been lit up like this:

The only thing more insane were the amount intercepted by your air defense!!!

Honestly, I was watching the posts come in from the volunteers.  Some were sheltered for entire DAYS.

Stay safe out there.  Let us know if you need anything.

it was one of the most massive attacks - a lot of missiles, a lot of shaheds(drones) all over the country sad

in the second picture, what was hit, there were more launches and unfortunately there were hits - and it was again civilian infrastructure and energy facilities and we again have a complicated electricity situation sad

Attack started at night and lasted until almost noon, in some regions longer sad

Well, I got to my workplace with a big delay and it was difficult to concentrate on work tasks, I must be honest frown

We stay strong!!! at least we're trying wink

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/30/24 8:32 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

We didn't "fail", we just didn't succeed that time. Next time we'll know better wink

Let me add - We didn't "fail", just something better is waiting for us wink

Sometimes our failures become our successes!!! wink

in the end, it's gonna be even better than we think it is smiley 

it always is!!! I believe that!!!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/30/24 8:42 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

First - those prizes are awesome!!! my congrats!!! and thanks for your support, Aaron!!! heart

The second one - that new t-shirt design!!! man, i love it!!!

btw, my today's outfit wink

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/30/24 8:45 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Needed to do a post on what I sent for our medic and you Vikki- I finally was able to send the panel and a bunch of solar  MPPT controllers I came into possession of, and I wanted to show you how to use them as backup power.

Wowww!!! I'm already curious to test how it will work  devil

Thank you, Ben heart

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/30/24 8:51 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

That is so dang awesome.  You do realize I'm 100% going to have to play with these before I send them in devil

Actually, on a serious note:  I have an exide battery that registers as having a "dead cell" and that optima yellow top that is worthless in the Toyota.  I know the optima will run my 12v compressor refrigerator overnight.  Maybe I can get some life back in that exide...  But I'm thinking if I take the better of those two and add it to Vikki's set, then she would be "plug and play" without having to come out of pocket for a car battery.

You should show me how it connects and works blush

VikkiDp
VikkiDp HalfDork
8/30/24 8:56 a.m.

Have a good weekend everyone!!! heartheartheart

9/3/24 11:23 a.m.

Apologies, everyone.  I am 100% "mobile only" at the moment.  Here's our Monday Update!

Current Paypal Balances:

Mothers and Babies Fund (Gmail)  Get Vikki a Generator Fund:  41,908 forint (about $145 USD) transfer in progress.

Yaroslav's Uniform Fund (Yahoo): $50 (it's a USD account)

GoFundMe is cl9sed and purchases have started.  We raised $1325 through our efforts there as well as 64,500 forint ($180USD) locally

Also for sharing are our social media links:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/510575651154518

https://www.instagram.com/dniproexpress/

And our very own website:

www.DniproExpress.com

Cheers everyone!

-Bill

1 ... 90 91 92 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vLdiIUkJasegsBpI1rYtqg3AVQGWASzpqJl6z4qvuuJgjUQryObW1Gk2oSYncAHU