1 2
dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
2/7/14 8:49 a.m.
Wally wrote: Start small, and do something every day. Two years ago I was a box of Twinkies away from 400 lbs and couldn't walk more than two or three blocks without needing a break. I started walking every day, first 5 min every few hours and working up from there. I'm down about 80 lbs and can walk for miles at a time.

That is totally awesome. Congrats and keep it up!!!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/7/14 5:36 p.m.

I got it wet for the first time this afternoon. My eldest son (26) and youngest son (10) went with me. We paddled a couple of miles at one of the boat landing near the house.

How we managed to not get wet I'll never know. There were a couple of times I was certain we were going over. With water temps in the mid 40s that would have been a bad thing. We stuck to the shallows. I wanted to be able to stand up if we got dunked. I'm pretty sure it's only the third time in my life I wore a life vest willingly.

I'm WAY WAY WAY out of canoeing practice. We are going to have to find some nice calm ponds to get our canoe legs back.

We did have a blast though. Next trip is Sunday afternoon. No promises on pictures though. There isn't a doubt in my mind we are going to get wet and I don't have a water proof camera.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/14 1:05 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I wanted to be able to stand up if we got dunked.

Just be aware that even if it looks shallow, you may have an extra foot or two of soft muck on the bottom.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
2/8/14 1:09 a.m.
Woody wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: I wanted to be able to stand up if we got dunked.
Just be aware that even if it looks shallow, you may have an extra foot or two of soft muck on the bottom.

truth

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
2/8/14 7:40 a.m.

Oh that mud, there is nothing quite like the mud you find along the coast of SC. Pluff mud, if you flip over in that you'll be up to your knees in goo, and the smell.

Portaging a Kayak in Pluff mud, NMNA

Toyman01
2/8/14 7:55 a.m.

In reply to LopRacer:

I grew up playing in that stuff so I'm well familiar with just how gooey it is. Lovely stuff.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
2/8/14 8:32 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Love it, just recall my mother not wanting to let me back in the car after playing in it as a kid.

Toyman01
2/8/14 8:36 a.m.

In reply to LopRacer:

Mine would hand me a bar of soap, a bottle of shampoo and point me toward the hose in the yard.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fi60U2rpoNOCRXSyg2CEeDD2dN68qSTWAGaOnMMCT7QNEm4EbpF3fE5xyHE90He9