SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/18/11 9:28 p.m.

Just upgraded tonight. So far the little new features are cool. Still have to figure out the rest. Upgrading was a little bit of a pain in the ass, but got it done in about a half hour.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
10/18/11 10:09 p.m.

I upgraded my 4 about a week ago and still haven't sat down to discover the new features.

All I've discovered so far is that it changed a few of my ring tones and I get better message alerts.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/18/11 10:21 p.m.

I know in the unlock screen, if you double click the home button it makes a button pop up for the camera do you can get to it faster.

It now shows notifications in the top of the screen instead if the middle.

The new iCloud is kind of cool.

There's a whole list of stuff.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
10/18/11 10:21 p.m.

Reminders with geofencing is the E36 M3.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/18/11 10:28 p.m.

I saw the reminders, but what's geofencing?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/18/11 10:34 p.m.

I think it's something in which the phone throws out reminders based upon your location.

Near a grocery store? Buy milk.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/18/11 10:38 p.m.

Hmmmm

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/18/11 11:48 p.m.

Holy crap just found out that you can "pull down" the bar at the top of the screen to see weather, stocks, notifications, etc.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
10/19/11 8:42 a.m.

I skipped the iCloud thing. I'm just not comfortable with Apple having all of my contact information as well as the other data I keep in my phone.

I resent not being able to delete the Newstand app. It is just cluttering up my phone. I'm not going to pay for a subscription to anything when the same info is free all over the internet. The choices suck right now, anyway.

I do like the instant camera access and the iMessage for free text messages between iPhones. It will probably allow us to dial back our text plans.

I find the fading URL thing a bit odd. Did people really think they were seeing the full URL in that window?

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
10/19/11 8:45 a.m.

I have nothing to add other than I might get an iPhone 4 when my wife upgrades to a 4s.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/19/11 8:56 a.m.

The camera also includes a shutter-button function for the + volume button. That lets you use it more like a regular camera. You can also pinch-zoom on the screen to zoom in instead of the slider bar and call up a reference grid when shooting. In Pictures, you can now edit right on the phone to crop an remove red eye. Nice.

The iCloud thing is pretty darn stupid IMHO. I have a Mac and I use Mac Mail for my personal e-mail, although I also have a @me.com account from MobileMe. iCloud will not use either one of these: it can only use a brand-new @me.com account that you setup. So you can sync an email address across all devices, as long as you are willing to start all over again and update your entire world with a new Mac email address. No thanks. Gmail already syncs across every device I own and online seamlessly.

And be very careful when entering your new @me address, you are stuck with it for the rest of your relationship with Apple. So if you have fat fingers and have a typo on the iPhone like I did, you are screwed.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/19/11 8:57 a.m.

The part of iCloud that is cool, is Photo Stream and the music cloud. When I buy a song, it appears on every device I have. When I take a picture on my iPhone, it is automatically stored in iPhoto back on my Mac.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
10/19/11 9:07 a.m.

Music app sucks on the iPad. I have a stupid amount of music and I hate scrolling through 8,000 album covers to find what I want. And Apple has pretty much abandoned the podcast now. Got a video podcast? Sorry, that is just a video now. Want to know if you have listened to that podcast yet? Sorry, no way to tell you that. Apparently a blue dot is too complicated.

The only thing I like is the tabbed Safari browsing.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
10/19/11 10:22 a.m.
slefain wrote: The only thing I like is the tabbed Safari browsing.

What? How?

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
10/19/11 11:14 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote:
slefain wrote: The only thing I like is the tabbed Safari browsing.
What? How?

On your iPad...

And yeah, not being able to setup iCloud on your existing AppleID is dumb, why force me to get a @me.com address that I'll probably never use?

And the sync'ing of iMessages across devices is pretty cool and works quickly & nicely.

I have installed but not tried the Find My Friends app but some people have...

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
10/19/11 12:14 p.m.

In reply to slefain:

If you listen to many podcasts, check out Downcast or Instacast. I prefer Downcast. You can export podcasts playlists as OPML files from iTunes to get 'em all into the app. Nice not having to sync it to iTunes, being able to stream them while you're traveling, etc. I stopped using iTunes a year ago and haven't looked back. Music I sync through Spotify, which also has a kinda rotten interface.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GbxFwgxph0w7wiiILAhnax7voa216fbv5XbPch2xHzFlaFzFKbYbTA2IUpZ37E3y