1 2 3
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/28/12 10:53 a.m.

Why are Americans not more upset by this?

Electronic Surveillance by US Law Enforcement Agencies Rising Steeply

What does it take for people to pause and look up from Angry Birds for a second and realize that privacy is actually an important part of the liberty and happiness pursuits?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
9/28/12 10:59 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Why are Americans not more upset by this?

Wee the sheeple, in order to be kept more safe....

This is not the nation you remember. Freedom is worthless, safety is paramount. As well evidenced in numerous threads in this forum.

You've brought this sort of point up numerous times. And a few will raise their head for a moment, and bleet something, but quickly they return to grazing happily in safety under the watchfull eye of their elected guardian.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
9/28/12 11:00 a.m.

Something about a porch?

9/28/12 11:07 a.m.
PHeller wrote: Something about a porch?

This is in no way a political discussion. It is an awareness campaign. Get mad. Do something about it. Just don't blame anything Blue or Red or go off on a tangent.

We The People need to be a little louder before we HAVE to be silent.

9/28/12 11:11 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: You've brought this sort of point up numerous times.

I'm tryin' to do my part.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/12 11:17 a.m.

I am personally poorly-versed in PR campaigns, motivating masses, lobbying, rabble-rousing, etc...

Any favorite organizations to support?

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, perhaps?

yamaha
yamaha Dork
9/28/12 11:29 a.m.

I agree to this......I'd be happy with a short range em jammer. Screw everyones cameras.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/12 11:43 a.m.

If it makes you feel any better it's not just Americans. There was a topic on the local boards about some ALPR cameras that are going up and almost everyone had the usual sheeple opinions on it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
9/28/12 11:50 a.m.

I really do, from the bottom of my heart, feel that there will come a day in my lifetime, where we the people will take a long hard look at the powers that be, and determine that its either gonna be us or them.

Ive recently learned how to can my own food in a sterile environment keeping food safe at room temperature for many years. I plan to take a CCW course to learn the proper way to handle firearms. I know how to cast metal and have the apparatus to do it sans electricity. Bow hunting is a skill I also plan to learn.

Things will get worse before they get any better.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
9/28/12 11:53 a.m.

Pisses me off it's a different country and deal than I was led to believe.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/28/12 11:54 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: What does it take for people to pause and look up from Angry Birds for a second and realize that privacy is actually an important part of the liberty and happiness pursuits?

Because 80% of the people in the world don't care about real liberty, and they don't want to PURSUE happiness - they want it handed to them.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
9/28/12 11:58 a.m.
What does it take for people to pause and look up from Angry Birds for a second

If by "Angry Birds" you mean sweet, sweet mobile pr0n, a lot. I am angry. You are angry. We are in the tiny minority. The 2012 National Defense Authorization Act is even scarier. Now allow me to return to my grazing. Just because the queen bee is out of town doesn't mean the seude denim secret police aren't watching.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/12 12:05 p.m.
Duke wrote:

Hahahahaha, I wonder if they'll turn the rooftop into a surveillance drone launch site too when that gets cheap enough.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/28/12 12:13 p.m.

Queen's right here. Watching.

I love the salty metallic taste of irony.

Margie

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
9/28/12 12:17 p.m.

Generally speaking....

We (the people) let them (our ruling class, what ever you call them) get away with too much.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
9/28/12 12:24 p.m.

Surveillance, illegal detention, property seizure, restrictions on free speech and expression. Who won the cold war? Welcome to the USSA.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
9/28/12 12:34 p.m.

Until you take away the average American's Reality TV, Crappy Pop Music, & Fast Food they really ain't going to care.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
9/28/12 12:42 p.m.

I think a lot of people aren't aware of a lot of things. None of the major news sources (on either side of the political spectrum) report this kind of stuff because it isn't a high-speed chase or ridiculous viral youtube video. There are drones in the sky over our own cities, there are limits being placed on free speech and practice of religion. One by one, small in-roads are being made into the erosion of many of our rights in the crazy little Bill of Them. I'm pissed about it -- very pissed, but organizing the masses is difficult and getting them to pay attention for longer than 60 seconds is even more so. I'm with 4cylinderfury -- become self-reliant, get to know the people around you who are as well and stick together when the E36 M3 goes down.

(Because I'm active duty military -- here's my official disclaimer: this message is not endorsed by the US Army and is not representative of the Army's views....)

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
9/28/12 12:44 p.m.
MA$$hole wrote: Until you take away the average American's Reality TV, Crappy Pop Music, & Fast Food they really ain't going to care.

yup, that pretty much sums it up

sad

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
9/28/12 12:50 p.m.

You do have to realize that more than 50% of the people in any given country in the world are stupid, right?

I'm not meaning that it in a mean way, it's just the honest truth. And if not stupid, at least extremely ignorant on how the world works.

That's a lot of dumb. It's enough that you can't fight it unfortunately. Before, some warlord just killed off enough of the dumb (and enslaved the rest) so he could maintain control. Society's nowadays breed dumb and reward it. And the dumb have just as much say as the smart.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
9/28/12 1:08 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I really do, from the bottom of my heart, feel that there will come a day in my lifetime, where we the people will take a long hard look at the powers that be, and determine that its either gonna be us or them. Ive recently learned how to can my own food in a sterile environment keeping food safe at room temperature for many years. I plan to take a CCW course to learn the proper way to handle firearms. I know how to cast metal and have the apparatus to do it sans electricity. Bow hunting is a skill I also plan to learn. Things will get worse before they get any better.

I’m already kicking myself for joining this train wreck in motion, but here goes.

I’m not saying I in any way support illegal surveillance, but this is still the most free, democratic first world nation there is. Having come from the UK with the highest # of CCTV cameras per capita in the developed world I understand. It still boggles my mind that a country that can have the NRA as a thriving entity allows speeding cameras to remain operational for more than 24 hours!!! (This thread needs some levity)

But having said that, I find this sentiment (I need a CCW because the revolution is coming) type attitude far more scary than the government listening to bad guys phone calls.

9/28/12 1:09 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Before, some warlord just killed off enough of the dumb (and enslaved the rest) so he could maintain control.

Do you have my phone bugged? How much do you know? If you talk it will be quick but lie to me and we bring in the dentist.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/12 1:10 p.m.

The article itself is about "pen register" and "trap and trace" orders. All departments that I have personal knowledge of, including mine,require a district judge to sign a court order. Here distinct court judges have felony jurisdiction in the cases I submit.

So these are court orders that are written in much the same form as property orders you get from your local JP court. BUT the narrative is written with the same prose as a warrant and presented to the district court judge for his/her approval.

If anyone has any questions feel free, but I can't discuss open cases of course. You know if anyone wants to actually discuss this important subject.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/28/12 1:45 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Queen's right here. Watching. I love the salty metallic taste of irony. Margie

That's funny right there.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
9/28/12 2:06 p.m.

Thanks for chiming in, Ojala. It looked as if these sorts of surveillance requires some sort of official approval, although it implied it was less than a warrant. But how much less? Is it the same judge who approves this surveillance, or some other official?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T32NJJg5gZBKCrO6eym8iT6hxarVPdKJZlDdLQcGgQWe3CN1n5W5GFy9TBK53r0f