redvalkyrie
redvalkyrie New Reader
1/10/11 10:48 a.m.

Has anyone trained with UTI's Porsche Apprenticeship Program? The idea of becoming a Porsche mechanic keeps popping into my head and UTI apparently has a program for students that make the cut.

failboat
failboat Reader
1/10/11 10:58 a.m.

One of my friends from high school went through UTI's porsche program.

Now he works at Brumos Porsche in Florida.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/10/11 11:00 a.m.

I work with two guys who graduated from that program. They certainly know their stuff.

That said, I would NOT want to work on Porsches for the rest of my life. They are stupid!

corytate
corytate New Reader
1/10/11 12:02 p.m.

I'm at UTI right now, trying to get into the Porsche program. I can tell you that it is a very selective program, you have to maintain I think a 3.7 gpa or higher and 97% attendance rate, and you must interview for admission to the program. You also have to maintain a near perfect motor vehicle record. If you are accepted, you go through their training in Atlanta (and you can buy a lot of awesome cars from craigslist while you're down there LOL) and then you have a guaranteed job at a Porsche dealership for at least 2 years. You have some input over which dealership you go to, as well. You aren't stuck there for life, after your tenure is up you can go do whatever you want. Having that on your resume will certainly help you get on with any other dealership.
I have a friend who did the mercedes program a few years ago and he is working at the mercedes factory in Birmingham right now, later to be moving onto the dealership side of things.
Good luck! I'll keep you updated if you like WHEN I get in, I still have 'til about October til I'll be interviewing for it.

redvalkyrie
redvalkyrie New Reader
1/10/11 12:08 p.m.

In reply to corytate:

Good luck man! Thanks for the info. I always did pretty well in school--got a bachelor's of art with 4.0GPA and pretty perfect attendance. This would be a career change for me as well as a life change because I'd be moving from my Oklahoma home of 30 years.

corytate
corytate New Reader
1/10/11 4:27 p.m.
redvalkyrie wrote: In reply to corytate: Good luck man! Thanks for the info. I always did pretty well in school--got a bachelor's of art with 4.0GPA and pretty perfect attendance. This would be a career change for me as well as a life change because I'd be moving from my Oklahoma home of 30 years.

You should do fine then. If any of the other campuses are like the one here (I go to NASCAR Technical Institute in NC, part of UTI) then alot of the students don't really belong there and seem like they're just wasting time. If you can make sure and stay focused and ignore the morons you'll do quite well.
I went from basically no knowledge of mechanical systems aside from changing oil and putting on a belt, and have learned quite alot. While you're going through the program you don't really think you've learned much because it seems like its all common sense to you now, but when you think about it you realize how rewarding it had been.
What campus are you thinking of going to?
I don't have any love for NASCAR but the only NASCAR aspect to our program here is 3 fab classes, a chassis apps class, and pit, which are optional, and performance engines 1 and 2.
We also have ford and nissan here, and a nissan/NASCAR hybrid called 155 (what I'm in) which is all the core classes, the three Nissan classes, and fab 1,2,and 3, and Chassis apps. So basically the NASCAR program without pit
the nissan program enables you to get nissan accreditation before you even graduate, and they transfer to other makes. Ford does the same, but doesn't transfer
I may be biased by the fact I currently attend uti, but I think it's really a wonderful school if you take advantage of everything they have to offer and really pick the brains of all the instructors here, they are some of the best in the industry.
Let us know what you plan on doing, and stick with it and good luck with your career change!

redvalkyrie
redvalkyrie New Reader
1/10/11 7:41 p.m.

The advisor I spoke with recommended the Arizona campus or the Texas campus--but since this would require a full move I'm open to any campus.

I've been working on cars forever and am pretty darn good at it. I always wanted to keep it a hobby but people keep asking me for help and for some reason want me to work on their cars...

cwh
cwh SuperDork
1/10/11 9:02 p.m.

I have heard several times that UTI stood for Un Trained Idiots. Sounds like that was not correct. Getting on at Brumos Porsche has to be a real accomplishment. Sometimes I really like being wrong.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
1/10/11 9:20 p.m.

Mental just found a new post military employment program...

corytate
corytate New Reader
1/11/11 9:53 a.m.
cwh wrote: I have heard several times that UTI stood for Un Trained Idiots. Sounds like that was not correct. Getting on at Brumos Porsche has to be a real accomplishment. Sometimes I really like being wrong.

That is the case with the people that don't make the most of the program. Around here there are several businesses that will not hire UTI grads just because of the morons that have rolled out of there in the past, but if you really pick the instructor's brains you will learn alot. Alot of the instructors never really thought about being teachers until they found themselves in the position, but after training, it works out great anyway. The way most of them teach is to give you some information, and then you go put it into practice on an actual (sort-of decently) running car, and some classes you can bring your own car in and put it up on the lift. I've done a little bit of work on my car at school and the 4 post lifts have spoiled me lol
I think all the campuses have sponsors such as NAPA and snap-on, at our campus we get about half off on snap-on tools and an option to open a snap on account, and we get stuff from napa at store cost.
They have deals on start dates all the time so try to get one where you get a free multi meter or something of the like if you want. And some of the campuses (TX and AZ both I think) are mainly computer based, so make sure that will work with you before you take the leap.
Best of luck!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8sXjPs4AJPptspbqt0RMLr202b5REX9eE2tb0KxxIPLCUURioLKbuHmeGIfsq0I8