1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/28/14 6:33 a.m.

In reply to Bumboclaat:

I agree about your passive vent idea (which would also work with my false back).

It's really annoying to sit in a little cubby and listen to the cooling fans hum.

Sometimes tech people over design stuff like this.

freestyle
freestyle Reader
11/28/14 10:02 a.m.

Agreed. For a work computer and environment, I wouldn't want to be near one of these and the noise. This is on a tradeshow floor where noise isn't really a problem. There have been computers and gaming consoles that have shut down because of heat, so the industry standard is to incorporate fans.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
11/28/14 10:20 a.m.

What can you use to power/control the fans? Aren't they DC fans?

I just ask because I want to add some fans to my entertainment center.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/14 10:46 a.m.
scardeal wrote: What can you use to power/control the fans? Aren't they DC fans? I just ask because I want to add some fans to my entertainment center.

They're standard 12vDC computer fans.

freestyle
freestyle Reader
11/28/14 11:04 a.m.

In reply to scardeal:

There are kits online with a brick and thermostat. plug and play goodness.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/28/14 11:12 a.m.
freestyle wrote: Agreed. For a work computer and environment, I wouldn't want to be near one of these and the noise. This is on a tradeshow floor where noise isn't really a problem. There have been computers and gaming consoles that have shut down because of heat, so the industry standard is to incorporate fans.

Ok.

But that still wouldn't rule out my idea of venting up through a false back in the upper cabinet.

freestyle
freestyle Reader
11/28/14 11:15 a.m.

The false back is a great idea.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/14 3:22 p.m.
freestyle wrote: Agreed. For a work computer and environment, I wouldn't want to be near one of these and the noise. This is on a tradeshow floor where noise isn't really a problem. There have been computers and gaming consoles that have shut down because of heat, so the industry standard is to incorporate fans.

as I work tradeshows.. I have seen more than one display shut down due to overheating. I got one of them up and running again after pulling enough lint out of the fans to knit a sweater

freestyle
freestyle Reader
11/28/14 4:23 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

we probably work with some of the same folks. I'll be in LV next week.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/14 6:05 p.m.

If you ever come to AC.. I am the person you come to for power at the Borgata

freestyle
freestyle Reader
11/28/14 6:12 p.m.

Good to know, You guys can be life savers.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/29/14 11:36 a.m.

Just out of curiosity, how much computing power do you need for these things? If it's standard display kiosks for trade shows, do you even need cooling? I ask because we pretty much eliminated the use of active cooling measures in the kiosks we build.

The new micro PC platforms and the LCD monitors are very low BTU outputs.

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/business/smb/merchandizing/en/Documents/Dell_OptiPlex_9020_with_Micro_Technical_Spec_Sheet.pdf

I can get you some figures if needed. Prior to that, It was conductive cooling and small fans in the back. There is typically enough air room in the typical cabinets that a lot of cooling is not needed.

freestyle
freestyle Reader
11/30/14 5:55 p.m.

The kiosks range from nothing in the cabinet to a giant tower with multiple processors. I have nothing to do with what actual computer is used, but my company is responsible to keep it cool and secure. We don't really have a "standard" kiosk. We design and build new kiosks appropriate for each client/event.

bmw88rider
11/30/14 10:10 p.m.

http://www.planartouch.com/install/kiosks/PlanarTouch_Mesh-Kiosk-Design_Thermal-Brief.pdf

Here is one of the really good white papers on the design of Kiosk. Not sure if you have seen this one yet. Basically, one of the most popular designs is pull from the front and push out the back as as pictured on the top of page 7. It works well and it's really just a matter of getting the vent size in the front and the exhaust fan in the back right sized. All of the math is there for you. Another consideration is front filter placement if you expect the environment to be dusty and then just the ease of getting to the fans in the back.

There are additional considerations for outdoor kiosk and those are typically sealed and cooled units with an AC unit handling the cooling.

Hope that helps.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/30/14 11:13 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

He said he couldn't vent out the rear.

freestyle wrote: The kiosks range from nothing in the cabinet to a giant tower with multiple processors. I have nothing to do with what actual computer is used, but my company is responsible to keep it cool and secure. We don't really have a "standard" kiosk. We design and build new kiosks appropriate for each client/event.

Freestyle:

You need to either get MORE involved with the client so you know what equipment is going inside and what heat it generates, or accept LESS responsibility (liability) for cooling.

You can't be responsible to cool something when you don't know what it is.

If you are, you WILL get burned. If your company is building cabinetry that "keeps equipment cool and secure" and has no idea what the equipment is, it is only a matter of time before you have a pretty big law suit on your hands.

As bmw88rider's white paper points out, there is a LOT more to it than cutting some wood and nailing it together.

I suggest you require the customer specify the cooling needs, and build to their spec.

Industrials are attractive business, but have much higher costs involved too.

bmw88rider
12/1/14 6:34 a.m.

I missed that part.

You can vent out the side too. Its more typically the rear but either will work. You will want to make sure that they have good air control if you are going out the side. Think of ducting to make sure that the air is going where you need it to.

If you need to do side by side of 3 or more, you can make basically a hot aisle just like in a data center design that you vent into. The concern there is the air that is vented should be very hot depending on the BTU output. I wouldn't recommend more than 3 in a pod through.

Cooling computer equipment is really not rocket science. It's just about understanding the thermal load that the equipment you are cooling.

freestyle
freestyle Reader
12/1/14 10:43 a.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to bmw88rider: He said he couldn't vent out the rear.
freestyle wrote: The kiosks range from nothing in the cabinet to a giant tower with multiple processors. I have nothing to do with what actual computer is used, but my company is responsible to keep it cool and secure. We don't really have a "standard" kiosk. We design and build new kiosks appropriate for each client/event.
Freestyle: You need to either get MORE involved with the client so you know what equipment is going inside and what heat it generates, or accept LESS responsibility (liability) for cooling. You can't be responsible to cool something when you don't know what it is. If you are, you WILL get burned. If your company is building cabinetry that "keeps equipment cool and secure" and has no idea what the equipment is, it is only a matter of time before you have a pretty big law suit on your hands. As bmw88rider's white paper points out, there is a LOT more to it than cutting some wood and nailing it together. I suggest you require the customer specify the cooling needs, and build to their spec. Industrials are attractive business, but have much higher costs involved too.

Uh, I think we agree. Like I said: "We don't really have a "standard" kiosk. We design and build new kiosks appropriate for each client/event."

freestyle
freestyle Reader
12/1/14 10:44 a.m.
bmw88rider wrote: I missed that part. You can vent out the side too. Its more typically the rear but either will work. You will want to make sure that they have good air control if you are going out the side. Think of ducting to make sure that the air is going where you need it to. If you need to do side by side of 3 or more, you can make basically a hot aisle just like in a data center design that you vent into. The concern there is the air that is vented should be very hot depending on the BTU output. I wouldn't recommend more than 3 in a pod through. Cooling computer equipment is really not rocket science. It's just about understanding the thermal load that the equipment you are cooling.

Thanks for the help!

freestyle
freestyle Reader
12/1/14 10:47 a.m.
bmw88rider wrote: http://www.planartouch.com/install/kiosks/PlanarTouch_Mesh-Kiosk-Design_Thermal-Brief.pdf Here is one of the really good white papers on the design of Kiosk. Not sure if you have seen this one yet. Basically, one of the most popular designs is pull from the front and push out the back as as pictured on the top of page 7. It works well and it's really just a matter of getting the vent size in the front and the exhaust fan in the back right sized. All of the math is there for you. Another consideration is front filter placement if you expect the environment to be dusty and then just the ease of getting to the fans in the back. There are additional considerations for outdoor kiosk and those are typically sealed and cooled units with an AC unit handling the cooling. Hope that helps.

Very helpful. Thanks!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jYL42nMLxVH3TE10GNoQL6RZMs967wrg2pXDjOErfZEuHJjS66ArDNNlq2J16GpH