1 2 3
pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
11/4/08 12:12 p.m.

my brothers friend gets 2 hours off for voting; either early morning or late afternoon.

So he is going to vote early before work, show up on time, leave two hours early, and enjoy some time off work.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
11/4/08 12:23 p.m.

I havent gone yet, but saw what will be on the ballot...

slot machines allowed with proceeds going to education?

im on the fence, as much as I want more funding for education, I am not a big fan of allowing a bunch of slot machines all over. (although it will probly only be in bars) still mulling over that one.. probly gonna vote for, because it is the best representation of a optional tax to fund something where i know that I will opt out of it and cant feel bad for those who end up paying it.

gonna go vote after i am done with classes for the day, gonna be my first time.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/08 12:28 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
Keith wrote: My wife voted by mail. Good thing, too. The ballot here is enormous. Took her about 45 minutes to go through it all.
As I understand it the absentee balloting is only counted in close races. Or at least that's what I was told right here on GRM.

I've seen a lot of stuff on GRM :)

Regardless of if there's any merit to that (and I don't believe a freakin' thing to do with politics that's on the internet), it'll be a close race here. We're the key to Colorado, which is one of the swing states this year. McCain should be hanging out at our airport in about an hour, we've already had Palin and Obama drop in over the past month. For a town that's basically a gas stop on the way from Denver to Vegas, that's a big deal.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/4/08 12:35 p.m.

My wife and I voted last week. It took me a little more than an hour. I'm wondering if the line is longer or shorter today. I almost don't want to look, because it's probably shorter.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/08 12:37 p.m.

I voted at around 9 am. There was a lot of traffic downtown, but there were only 7 people ahead of me at my polling site. The new paper ballots seemed to take about three times as long as the old machines. I expect the elderly voters to be completely befuddled by the bubble sheets.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/4/08 12:39 p.m.

They mail us sample ballots, and that helps a lot. Once I'm in the booth, it's just a matter of filling in the right dots. I do miss the old-school voting machines, but I guess their time had come and gone.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/4/08 12:43 p.m.

I just drove past a polling place (Ladson Elementary) at lunchtime. The line was around the block. Several people in line were in lawn chairs.

I'm voting later, we shall see...

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/4/08 12:50 p.m.
aircooled wrote: ...remember if its a bond, it's freeeee money!!!! doesn't raise taxes wohooo! Come on now, how could borrowing a bunch of money to pay for something you can't really afford get us into any trouble!?!?

Bhahah…exactly; only with a bond, like credit, you get charged interest as an added penalty for buying stuff you can’t afford.

And of course, there’ll invariably be huge inefficiencies, off target allocations, & affirmative action requirements biasing the contract awards so ultimately, I’d be lucky to get ten cents of value on the dollar and there’d be negligible opportunity for me to participate.

I voted early this morning (20 minute wait) and the no votes on all bond measures flowed like fine wine from my pen.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
11/4/08 12:56 p.m.

I have the week off

took a short motorcycle ride there

was in and out in under 5 minutes.

cwh
cwh Dork
11/4/08 12:59 p.m.

Took us about 1 1/2 hours total in Ft.Lauderdale. 100 folks in the line when we got there at 8:30am. When we left, no line at all. No complaining, this election is too important to let little things get in the way

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/4/08 1:10 p.m.

Oh no, I'm not complaining at all about the wait. I'm complaining about the lack of challengers to the incumbents.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
11/4/08 1:16 p.m.

Showed up at a little after 9, figured it would be a short line perhaps. Nope, took a full hour and a half before I was handed a ballot. The ballot is extra long in my district, with trustees for 3 universities, city positions, judges, etc etc. All the races had multiple challengers, so voting took a while. I may go back later to see if the line dies down or gets worse.

The Line: Voting Line

The Ballot: Blank Ballot

Duke
Duke Dork
11/4/08 1:19 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Oh no, I'm not complaining at all about the wait. I'm complaining about the lack of challengers to the incumbents.

All of our County government and a bunch of our State seats are going to be filled by unopposed Democrat incumbents. I still refused to vote for them, though.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
11/4/08 1:40 p.m.

Went at 11:15, ample parking, 3 people in line, done in about 7 minutes. Cool.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/4/08 1:43 p.m.
Duke wrote: All of our County government and a bunch of our State seats are going to be filled by unopposed Democrat incumbents. I still refused to vote for them, though.

Sounds like your local Republican chapter needs to get motivated. Heck, maybe even try to get yourself on the local ballot in a couple years time.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
11/4/08 1:59 p.m.

Local woman called in to the radio station this morning from a nearby Township and said not only was there nothing but Republican related signs right outside the polling office but a home-made "A vote for Obama is a vote to kill babies." inside the polling office.

Pretty wicked stuff.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
11/4/08 2:14 p.m.

What the signs didnt point out is that Obama can play a mean game of basketball.... possible even dunk. Now that fresh!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/4/08 2:22 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Local woman called in to the radio station this morning from a nearby Township and said not only was there nothing but Republican related signs right outside the polling office but a home-made "A vote for Obama is a vote to kill babies." inside the polling office. Pretty wicked stuff.

Here in South Cackalacke, no campaign related material of any kind is allowed within 200 feet of the entrance to a polling station. That includes: buttons, T shirts, hats, stickers, posters etc. If you have such an item you must remove it or cover it up, and there are temporary plain T shirts etc available at some polling stations.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
11/4/08 2:40 p.m.

There were (and always have been) yard signs lining the sidewalk to the door of my polling place. It's almost always just the local guys, and this year was no exception. The weird thing is last night I googled my hometown and something about polling places, to find the polling hours, and I found an article about a poll worker getting in trouble in Evansville for mentioning a candidate, yet there's signs everywhere. At my polling place there were four machines, and when I walked in at 12:15 on my lunch break, all four machines were occupied, one guy sitting in a chair waiting for the next open machine, and one woman at the table signing in. It took me maybe five minutes for the whole shebang.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/4/08 3:24 p.m.

Stopped by before lunch and there was a steady flow of people in and out of the fire station where my voting was held. I was voter 460 today at that station.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
11/4/08 3:34 p.m.

I encountered the longest line I can remeber at my polling place this morning .

It was 4 people long and took 2 min to clear...

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
11/4/08 3:37 p.m.

The polls open at 7:00. I got there at 8:00 and had to wait about 6 minutes for the three people in front of me. I am lucky. I live in a rich county with a history of high turnout. The county makes sure there are plenty machines and trained poll workers available

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
11/4/08 3:53 p.m.

Walked in at about 2:15, one person in line in front of me (lines based on 1st letter last name), other lines virtually empty. Done and back home by 2:45

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/4/08 4:00 p.m.

There is a rumor going around that one polling station down here was supposed to have either 10 or 12 machines and that all but 2 or 3 quit working meaning there were 6 hour waits.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/4/08 6:02 p.m.

I just got two more political robocalls. Wow, talk about last minute campaigning!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VP1WKJ39IO17aeZ6rX8JxOadJ5qO9JNK3qX1GIRr10bCaPrWdJ9CzdWU4dPBrVuo