Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
5/26/24 8:13 p.m.

This is what happens when you have a water issue and just listen to the salespeople. 3 different treatment systems, 5 filters, 9 pressure gauges, etc. All hooked up at different times...

At some point you'd think a tech would refuse to install whatever he was sent to install, and try to actually figure out the issue. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/24 8:38 p.m.

Wow. And I thought our system here looked like a nightmare.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/26/24 9:29 p.m.

Don't open thread - near certain toilet bowl carnage - mmust rresist oopening tthread - <opens thread> - woof, not as horrific as anticipated. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
5/26/24 9:35 p.m.

The submersible well pump mounted to the wall (on the left) is my favorite part. This is what it looks like after 5 hours...

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
5/26/24 9:40 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Nah. After a while poop doesn't bother you. This though, this is the stuff of nightmares. 

triumph7
triumph7 Dork
5/27/24 2:38 a.m.

Make him cry?  No way, he's charging by the hour!

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
5/27/24 8:39 a.m.

In reply to triumph7 :

No chance I'm letting anyone else touch it. This is all me so I know it's done the correct way. 4 stickers from 4 companies on the equipment. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/27/24 9:03 a.m.

There's no crying in plumbing!  He's shopping for new clubs.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/27/24 9:50 a.m.

I had a basic understanding of water treatment, and plumbing and pipe fitting are part of my trade. So when we bought our farm and discovered how bad the well water was I brought three companies in, got quotes, did a lot of my own research - all the info is out there, then built my own system. It's had surprisingly few changes in the last 20 years, just works, and it saved me a lot of money.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
5/27/24 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I'm doing the same. It needs a whole house RO system, and I got 3 quotes, all @$30k. All wanted to just add to the mess (I found a sticker from all 3 so they've been here and only sold the PO another system). 

I want to know why something is there, and what it's doing, so I've ripped it all out and starting from the pressure tank forward. I'll be @$15k into it, and I'll know exactly what, where, and why. 

The equipment will be here in a week or so, so for now it's just plumbed with no treatment on a temp basis in case water is needed (no one is living here yet) 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/27/24 1:58 p.m.

I heard you like plumbing

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
7/13/24 10:19 p.m.

Install weekend started, trying to see what the best layout is with all of the equipment. It's a lot of stuff. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/24 11:00 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Install weekend started, trying to see what the best layout is with all of the equipment. It's a lot of stuff. 

What's the plastic tank for?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
7/13/24 11:40 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

The RO water goes into the tank after processing, then it's pumped into the main supply by the small pump on the right. I'm sure a smaller tank would be fine (this one is 330 gallons) but I was paranoid about running out, and a buddy gave me this one, so overkill it is. After some thought, I'm going to put the water heaters next to it, and the RO system where they are, so it's more of a direct run. 

The water heaters are mostly storage than heaters as they're hooked to the geothermal run, no cold water hits them, so it's very efficient compared to the regular setup. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
7/14/24 7:28 a.m.

What is in the water, nuclear waste? Why so complex a system?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
7/14/24 7:33 a.m.
TRoglodyte said:

What is in the water, nuclear waste? Why so complex a system?

Chlorides (salt). It corrodes all of the pipes and faucets if left untreated (which is why there's new pex hanging down). 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
7/14/24 7:58 a.m.

Yeah I can see that for salt, thank you. TIL

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FGAkHIaakbc2zdOUuicuMiyNY2KDEzvzKkQb9H8NKT0euBAZIfmfcp5Lz1ngg9HG