Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
1/14/17 7:53 a.m.

...would love to see them do an auction day where any American car built between 1962 and 1972 is not allowed to cross the block? I enjoy watching these auctions, but quickly get tired of the endless parade of 60's and early 70's muscle cars. Pretty much every car is a Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, Mopar, blah blah blah muscle car. I don't have anything against those cars, but they're not my favorite and to me they all start to blend together after a while.

Yes, I realize that's the client market right now. People who grew up idolizing those cars are now at the age where they can afford them. I get it. But I'd love to see a dedicated auction day for cars from the 1910s to 1950s, post 1972, European cars. Basically anything but "muscle cars".

Barrett Jackson is the same way.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/14/17 8:10 a.m.

I like watching the unpopular 60's American cars cross the block for money that I'd actually pay. I've decided I can't attend any of these in person because I don't have the self control.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
1/14/17 8:58 a.m.

I've only watched an auction show a couple times. I don't know which one, but yeah, my eyes glazed over after a little while, because of the same cars passing over the block. Well, maybe the same cars, but "Oh look, another Corvette. This one is blue."

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/14/17 9:56 a.m.
RealMiniParker wrote: ..."Oh look, another Corvette. This one is blue."

Yes, but one of only 20 made in blue!!! (with 4 speed, 390hp motor, convertible, black interior, fm radio, wood wheel, and cigarette lighter delete option)

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
1/14/17 9:57 a.m.

Got to go to the events to see the weird stuff that sells. If you watch the auction nubmers they really only put the common stuff on TV.

There is some bat E36 M3 cray stuff that comes up every now and then. I do not go on those days or I would have 10 more cars.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
1/14/17 10:00 a.m.

I imagine if you got rid of the muscle cars you'd just have it fill up with red 55 chevies.

No idea why people watch car auctions, they bore me to tears.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/14/17 10:24 a.m.

The weekday auctions have more everyday kinda cars, been tempted to attend one someday. Pick up an already done decent driver Chevelle for $10-12K. Not to say oddball as less desirable to that crowd but seen a garage kept, low mile 80's Town Car for around $4K. E36 M3, I'd buy two like that.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
1/14/17 10:31 a.m.

Weary microbe is right. Go attend one in person to see the offbeat stuff. They only show the stuff that's expected to fetch high dollars on TV.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
1/14/17 10:45 a.m.
Grizz wrote: No idea why people watch car auctions, they bore me to tears.

I now record them and fast forward through much of the boring stuff.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
1/14/17 11:41 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
RealMiniParker wrote: ..."Oh look, another Corvette. This one is blue."
Yes, but one of only 20 made in blue!!! (with 4 speed, 390hp motor, convertible, black interior, fm radio, wood wheel, and cigarette lighter delete option)

Yes, this is exactly what bugs me. I really enjoy watching the auctions when I can, but they try to drum up the parade of muscle cars with false excitement... one of three '67 Mustangs made in white, with a 4spd, air conditioning AND built on a Tuesday in April after 3pm.

A lot of times I'll have the auction on as background noise and my ears perk up when I hear something that doesn't start with 196x...

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
1/15/17 7:23 a.m.

You guys just probably are not really the target audience. My FIL was watching it a while back and pretty much knew someone who had "that exact car back in the day" for half the stuff that rolled across the block. Pretty sure he's the target audience. I use it for "commercial filler" when I'm watching sports since that's about how long I can tolerate it.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/15/17 1:51 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote:

So that's what? 15 minutes of interesting stuff?

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
1/16/17 1:17 p.m.

I quit watching Barrett Jackson for that reason. I mean there are only so many Camaros you can watch.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/16/17 1:54 p.m.

My father is one of "those". He has two, near-identical, flawleses, numbers-matching 1969 AMX's in the garage. Both 390s, both in Big Bad Green, with the Go-Package, limited slip yadda yadda. Except one's a 4-speed with black interior, one's an auto with brown interior and is a "500 Special" 1 of 29 or whatever that means

I will never understand. Meanwhile I'm chopping up Model A steel and attaching Japanese engines with computers n junk to it.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
1/16/17 2:33 p.m.

I watch it occasionally jst too remind myself that the 65 mustang i want will have too wait until my kids are done college!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
1/16/17 3:06 p.m.
dropstep wrote: I watch it occasionally jst too remind myself that the 65 mustang i want will have too wait until my kids are done college!

Actually the coupes and convertibles seem to have softened a bit. The fastbacks not at all.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
1/16/17 3:08 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
So that's what? 15 minutes of interesting stuff?

I can easily watch a four hour segment in less than an hour. And I can watch it after SWMBO has gone to bed, which makes her extremely happy.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
1/16/17 3:39 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
dropstep wrote: I watch it occasionally jst too remind myself that the 65 mustang i want will have too wait until my kids are done college!
Actually the coupes and convertibles seem to have softened a bit. The fastbacks not at all.

Amazingly i prefer the coupe over all others!

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
1/16/17 4:50 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

You're telling me, I drive them across the block every year in Indy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DLj37TpXAYJrG0vSV1yYhO7QNCTBeTHNd3MAbyk64vokg1MsMCjphQ1eVmk0K8eq