1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/8/24 9:32 a.m.

We work remotely so, in theory, I can set up camp anywhere.

Last night I dreamed that I worked from the grounds of Daytona International Speedway. I looked for a shady spot and set up near an entrance/ticketing area–can’t recall this area existing IRL. Yes, lots of people asked what I was doing, including co-workers that I can’t recall. 

Turns out that ticketing area was temporary. I had left for a few to look around, so at 5:00 they moved everything away but put all my gear in my backpack. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/8/24 10:14 a.m.

I bruised some ribs last week and that has forced me to sleep some on my back. I get weird dreams when I sleep on my back.  Pretty much guaranteed. 

Last night: was driving my E350 with an Airstream trailer to a friend's work. Why I had an Airstream trailer - NFC... it couldn't be where I parked it, so he had to back it into a different spot.  Then we went inside ...  did... something (I don't remember)... then finally ended up at the main entrance where it occurred to me that I should sign in as a guest... then for some reason my ex- was there...  upset about something... wasn't about me for a change... then we ended up back in her garage... and she had an E36 M3 convertible she had recently bought... then I met some other people... then I needed to leave, but couldn't find my van.  Then I woke up. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/24 10:37 a.m.

Somewhere on here I have a thread with all the weird dreams I was having over a period of a couple years. They've mostly stopped over the past 1.5-years though. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/8/24 11:36 a.m.

Once dreamed that Santa Claus went to the worst areas of the worst city in the world  got jumped and got his ass beat.  The next year, while he was recuperating, was the year without a Christmas.   No one on earth had one.

Santa read all the letters kids sent him and got angry and started training.

The next year he went all vigilante on that town and cleaned it up.  Gang bangers strung up with christmas wrapping, drug dealers tied up in boxes and bows, rapists and murderers trimmed in jolly lights with sugar plums stuffed down their throats.

Santa cleaned up the city.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
7/8/24 12:19 p.m.

I died.  Don't remember how exactly, just thinking Oh E36 M3, I guess this is it.  Then the most warm, peaceful, worry free, comfort, more so than can be imagined.  I highly recommend the experience.   It took weeks to shake just how amazing it felt to be dead.  Don't worry, I have too much to live for and no reason or desire to artificially try again.   

My therapist was very intrigued by it all though. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/8/24 1:51 p.m.

I haven't had anything particularly weird recently, but I certainly have some recurring anxieties showing up a bunch.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/8/24 3:59 p.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/8/24 4:39 p.m.
Duke said:

Gotta train yourself to remember them.  Start with a notebook by the bed, write whatever you remember immediately upon waking 

For years I dreamed of my death. There was a burning plane, and a guy in dark clothes shoots me in the chest with a handgun. I would wake up when the bullet hit me. It was terrifying and I had it numerous times in my twenties. It mercifully stopped at some point. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/8/24 6:26 p.m.

Got to love some of the medication that keeps me alive as it gives me nightmares. 

Worst is the dreams that I remember and start back up the next night and the next and so on. There was a 1 week period where I was a actual viking and I was stuck on a ship at sea in the doldrums FOR A WEEK. Near the end I was resting so little I don't think I could tell you which one of us was dreaming. Had to get sleeping pills and knocked me out of the cycle. 

New meds and I have not had that in years. But I still wake up in a cold sweat every now and then from nightmares. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/24 7:37 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Duke said:

Gotta train yourself to remember them.  Start with a notebook by the bed, write whatever you remember immediately upon waking 

I find that as soon as I open my eyes, it's all gone.  So if I have a dream that I want to remember, I do my damndest to remember as much as I can while awake,  before opening my eyes.

All my life I would have dreams that were kind of odd, the color saturation was low and the dream was more like I was watching myself rather than being an active participant.  Then a week to six months later, it would happen in real life.  The first time it happened, I was about nine and I was assembling a new bicycle.  The dream was exactly what I was doing: sitting on the floor, bike in front of me between my legs, as I mounted the seat and seat post to the frame.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/8/24 7:46 p.m.

Speaking of which... I am going to condense this, and leave out irrelevant details, but 30 years ago there was a very, very important girl in my life.  5 years later, she was gone.  I moved on to motorsports, and you see where that led smiley

Last May, I had a very, very vivid dream where she sent me a message out of the blue on this UNIX terminal type of thing.  As the dream progressed, it turned into a messenger app where we could share pictures, showing me pictures of her cats, places she'd been, etc.  Then somehow I was at an open air restaurant and I knew subconsciously that she was there, and I woke up right before I saw her.

Last November, I got e-mail.  I should point out that I use browser based email because I like to see all the message headers like when I used to use UNIX based systems in the 90s.  As you may guess, it was her after 25 years.  After a couple weeks, we moved on to texting so we could share pictures of cats and places we'd been.

In December, she was in town for Christmas so we hung out.

Surreal

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
7/8/24 7:50 p.m.

Ambien. just a few times a moth is all that seems to be needed. It makes me sleep all dern night. No side effects, no groggy the next day, no sleepwalking, no nuthin. But the dreams that night are so effing batE36m3 crazy they just cannot be described. I usually wake up going "who the hell wrote *that* and almost immediately forget 'em, prolly just as well...

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/8/24 7:54 p.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

Joan Jett really should cover "Ring of Fire".  It sounded INCREDIBLE in a dream that I had...

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
7/8/24 9:33 p.m.

I had a garage with a running Biturbo and Bradley GT in it.  Freaked me out.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
7/8/24 9:39 p.m.

In reality I'm like other people have mentioned.  They are vivid but fade almost instantly upon waking, and I'm good with that.  However the ones that stick with me are where I know I'm in a dream and can't wake up.  The scene changes (I forget them quickly) and I still say to myself "This is a dream" but I can't get out of it.  Or I'll think I woke up only to quickly realize I didn't.  Rinse and repeat the next scene.  They are usually negative and it's pretty freaky.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/24 9:40 p.m.

I usually don't dream, thank you little green friend. 

Over the past month or so that has been changing and I don't like it. 

Typical nightmares involving snakes, both the two legged and no legged versions. 

But lately, I've been having some truely bizarre dreams. I don't really remember them once I'm up, but they make Tommy and The Wall seem like Disney movies when I'm having them. 

Barely remembered flashes from last night's brief sleeping period included my friend NissanTechs house being in an entirely different area, and abandoned. Caves, a race similar to the things in the future from the Time Machine, and a group of humans that hunted or enslaved them. I don't really remember much else, because I'm not allowed to sleep more than 2 hours anymore it seems, so I don't think I got the full thing. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/9/24 1:05 a.m.

I once dreamed that I was painting parts in my living room. My wife was mad because I was getting overspray on the curtains. 

Now here's the weird one. 

I was never a religious or spiritual person. Don't believe on ghosts or angels or anything like that.

My mom was in the hospital, losing a fight with cancer. 

I had the most vivid and clear dream of my life in the early morning of Dec 24, 2014. I dreamed that my mom was there and she said "don't worry, everything will be ok."

At 5am, the hospital called to tell me that she had died in her sleep.

I have no explanation for it, not a thing. Nothing like that has happened before or since. It still feels really strange thinking about it.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/9/24 6:46 a.m.

My most recent "wait, what?" dream involved protecting my family (and a coworker) from a bear trying to attack us.  We were in some sort of industrial shipping/receiving area, everyone was upstairs, via a ladder, but the bear kept coming.  My coworker and I were discussing how to deal with it, so I went out with an AR and unloaded on it.  Came back in for a reload (because 30 rounds of 5.56 didn't do much on a grizzly) and woke up.  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/9/24 7:04 a.m.

Occasionally I'll have dreams where I'm a 3rd person spectator. Not actually "in" the dream and nobody interacts with me or seems to know I'm there. I'm just watching stuff happen.   Those are usually weird. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/9/24 7:10 a.m.

I hadn't thought about the "one who might have gotten away" for decades. Then one night I have a dream where she shows up and we get back together. We were so compatible, then and in the dream 30 years later. Waking up was a disappointment. And then I obsessed over her silently for months afterward.

Oh, did I mention I'm married? And things haven't been rosy? Yeah, so glad that happened to add to the angst. 

Many, many years ago--probably when I was a teen, actually--I had an odd dream where I was with two parents whose child had died. We were all at a place where the child would come back to visit from some other world. It was a sweet, if sad, dream. Decades later I used it as the basis for a novel. It's made some of my readers cry, which means I did a good job translating it.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
7/9/24 7:52 a.m.

At a warehouse or open public place like a multistory mall with my mother.  Gunshots erupted, I hit the deck, Mom just stands there, tells me someone is shooting or something.  Then starts questioning how many rounds do they have, after like 20ish shots.  I yell MOM, get down and shut up. 

Seriously WTF is wrong with people.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
7/9/24 7:58 a.m.

Anybody ever have sleep paralysis? 

Sleep paralysis is a state of consciousness during which a person is unable to move their body while falling asleep or waking up. It occurs when the sleep cycle is shifting between stages, causing the brain to be awake while the body is still in REM mode. Episodes can last from a few seconds to a couple of minutes and usually end on their own or when someone touches or moves the person. 

I had this a few times, very disturbing until you figure it out.   Just lying there, mind awake, can't move.  Screaming for my girlfriend, who I can feel next to me to shake me, but nothing comes out, just paralyzed.    Eventually I figured out if I just fall back asleep, waking up again fixes it.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
7/9/24 8:01 a.m.

How about the dreams of never ending tasks?

I used to have one where I just had to move a box of toothpicks, one at a time, not bad right?  The pile I put them in looked like a cartoon haystack, just a few more........................................................................................................................................................................................................

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/24 8:35 a.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

For years I dreamed of my death. There was a burning plane, and a guy in dark clothes shoots me in the chest with a handgun. I would wake up when the bullet hit me. It was terrifying and I had it numerous times in my twenties. It mercifully stopped at some point. 

I had dreams like this for years starting when I was probably 5 years old. Usually it was a sword fight I lost but sometimes a gun fight.   The gun fights always ended with my gun not working while the other guy shot me.    They stopped when I was in my 20's and I took self defense courses and handgun tactics courses and trained a lot.     Then I started winning.  After a while those dreams stopped completely. I probably haven't had one like that in 15 years or more.

The other weird dreams I had was when I tried CBD gummies to try an help my arthritis pain.   I tried one and had a most indescribable psychodelic dream. I threw the package in the garbage.     I was never drug user so I guess my brain could not handle even CBD.  I hate to think what would have happened if I had tried the THC gummies instead.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PktysuTGuhtyH0nWsRw9MyBDqHj1NKjaYpVSYoKhbSzGto68iYNZf7S7c0eJ5H1G