Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/24 12:15 p.m.

So I'm pretty clueless on this one.  I have a Northern Tool 240v MIG welder, which I'm told is made by Hobart.  It has been rock solid for 10 years, but yesterday when I fired it up it started feeding wire without triggering.  At first I thought it was the stinger button, but when it happens there is also a fault light that comes on.

Having never repaired a welder before, I was wondering if there is an easy answer, like "oh yeah, the [insert part] is fried."

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/24 5:37 p.m.

Check the continuity of the trigger button.  Maybe it is stuck on.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/24/24 6:06 p.m.

Does the fault light have an error code associated? 

Does it feed wire if you unplug the stinger lead? 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/24/24 7:27 p.m.

Gonna guess that the trigger activates a relay of some sort. I would start by finding a wire diagram on line and see if there is a relay to poke a multimeter at.

I assume you have done the Youtube search to see if others have had this issue. If there is an error code, there must be printed words somewhere that explain what it is.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/24 7:38 p.m.
brandonsmash said:

Does the fault light have an error code associated? 

Does it feed wire if you unplug the stinger lead? 

No error code.  It's just an LED that comes on when it's malfunctioning.

Next plan is to pull the stinger to test that

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/24/24 9:48 p.m.

I'm not familiar with that machine at all but I've seen that problem caused by a damaged/shorted torch lead (at 10 years old it's probably due for replacement) and a stuck relay on other machines.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/24/24 10:10 p.m.

I think some Northern Hydraulic welders were made by Century, so check that out if you can't find info on a Hobart that matches.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fR8VaDvFXkAcllqjsO3zE7WZfHOHQNVzlgKpsbF948EWMHrFmjMykoFCtJEltGyv