914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/15/23 11:10 a.m.

USS San Francisco ran into a mountain?  Happened quite a while ago, but first I've heard of it.  Now I see why the full blow to surface was slowed!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/15/23 11:22 a.m.

Damn. That sonar looks like a wad of chewed bubblegum. Captain's done, right?

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/15/23 1:10 p.m.

Preach may have something more on this one as he’s in the sub repair business.   I want to say they ended up taking the forward section of a boat (Miami?) that had a fire in the engine room during overhaul and connecting it to the aft end of San Francisco to make one boat from the two damaged ones. 

This happened roughly 10 years ago, one crew member died from injuries he received during the collision.  I believe the commanding officer and possibly the XO were both relieved of duty. 

Edit, the collision happened in 2005 and it was the Honolulu that was the donor for the forward end. 

USS San Francisco | The Time a Navy Sub Ran Into a Mountain (popularmechanics.com)

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/15/23 1:22 p.m.

I'm a Plankowner on SSN-679, that poor thing over the years was grafted, sliced, parted, returned and generally treated like a co-ed with no self esteem.

Some damn good welders out there!!

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/23 1:43 p.m.
11GTCS said:

This happened roughly 10 years ago...

Edit, the collision happened in 2005 and it was the Honolulu that was the donor for the forward end. 

Wow something like 18 years ago? I would have sworn it was only something like 5 years? I'm getting old.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/23 2:02 p.m.

Sanolulu (SanFran + Honolulu). They took the back half of SF and grafted on the front of the Honolulu. berkeleying hardcore.

Don't use old maps.

Now I preach:

Everyday at Work I abide to a very strict system for safety. The Sanolulu was the first accident that benefited from the linked program.

In 1963 we lost 119 folk due to a supposed silver braised pipe joint. This boat was from my Yard and failed just off of the coast of Maine. The Thresher is one of the most solemn moments you can speak of to most submariners, the second being the Scorpion.

From Wiki:

"SUBSAFE covers all systems exposed to sea pressure or critical to flooding recovery. All work done and all materials used on those systems are tightly controlled to ensure the material used in their assembly as well as the methods of assembly, maintenance, and testing are correct. They require certification with traceable quality evidence which track the item from the point of manufacture (including all records of the creation of the product, i.e. source materials as well as smelting and hardening process for metals) to the point of installation within a SUBSAFE boundary. These measures increase the cost of submarine construction and maintenance.

SUBSAFE addresses only flooding; mission assurance is not a concern, simply a side benefit. Other safety programs and organizations regulate such things as fire safety, weapons systems safety, and nuclear reactor systems safety.[1]

From 1915 to 1963, the United States Navy lost 16 submarines to non-combat-related causes. Since SUBSAFE began in 1963, only one submarine, the non-SUBSAFE-certified USS Scorpion (SSN-589), has been lost.[1]"

The San Francisco was the first sub that survived since the SUBSAFE program started. There have been others.

I certify my guys work with my signature. You are nothing if you sign off on something without full trust.

There is an engineer that signs off on the boat trusting my signature, again, hardcore.

I could go on on non-classified E36 M3 but I'd bore you.

Other travesties:

Miami Happened at my Yard. Mother berkeleying arsonist Firebug. I was there that night.

Guitarro 

Lying Metallurgist. Are you berkeleying kidding me? The hate is strong for this woman. 100+ lives on each boat relied on her to make them safe in VERY unsafe conditions. Do the math over 20+ years.

Greenville I made it a point to visit the memorial in HI.

I can think of at least 2 more accidents that were serious and the boats have recovered.

Regardless of the bad, I am proud of what I do and the history I add to.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/15/23 2:11 p.m.
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/15/23 2:15 p.m.
914Driver said:

USS San Francisco runs into a mountain.  Happened quite a while ago, but first I've heard of it.  Now I see why the full blow to surface was slowed!

The link is not what you intended. 

preach (dudeist priest)
1/15/23 2:19 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Haha

preach (dudeist priest)
1/16/23 2:59 a.m.

Regarding the Thresher and very much the title of this thread:

Remember a fathom is about 6'.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/23 8:07 a.m.

Fixed, thank you.  I saw a boat pull into EB with a classified dent.  

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/23 8:13 a.m.

I am listening to a book about WWII submarines right now (The War Below by James Scott). Very interesting how much development was going on during deployment, these guys were amazing. 

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
1/16/23 8:23 a.m.

When my brother was in the Navy, he was in charge of submarine repairs and certifications at the Portsmouth shipyard in San Diego.  The San Franciscso was there for maintenance when he had his retirement ceremony so we got a tour.  You can see the seam on the hull from the repair.

It was pretty cool but I can't imagine being confined in that thing for weeks (months?) on end.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/23 8:56 a.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

I worked with a gent who was a nuclear pipefitter on subs here in Charleston in the late 60 and 70s. In his day, when you had to remove a pipe flange, you received a printout with very specific instructions on how to do it as well as the tools and materials to be used. Each step was very specific and had to be followed exactly. Close was not acceptable. You also didn't work alone. He worked with a nuke inspector that verified every step of work that was done and everyone signed off on the work being completed as specified. 

He was starting a project and the day's job was pulling a section of pipe out of the cooling system for the reactor. Step one was to take a specific size wrench and loosen a certain bolt a certain number of turns. That's when he found the wrench specified in the sheets and given to him to do the work, didn't fit the installed bolts. His nuke inspector flipped out. All work came to a stop. The brass was brought in. The big brass from DC was also brought in. It was a huge stink while they tracked down why the bolts in the flange were different from what was specified and why the installed bolts made it through the previous overhaul and inspections. Grabbing a bolt that fits the hole is a big no-no. He never did hear how it happened but particular attention was paid to the entire boat after that discovery. 

preach (dudeist priest)
1/16/23 9:42 a.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/16/23 9:47 a.m.

That book is awesome.  It sits on my bookshelf, waiting to be read a 4th time.

preach (dudeist priest)
1/16/23 9:49 a.m.

When a US sub flies the Jolly Roger ...

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/16/23 10:09 a.m.

That’s a Royal Navy uniform? Possibly one of the Swiftsure boats during the Falklands war in the 80’s, the Argentinian cruiser General Belgrano was sunk by a torpedo.    The only war shots fired post WW2 by US boats (at least the only ones acknowledged) have been cruise missiles fired towards Iraq. I believe  USS Pittsburgh (I had the privilege of riding on her sea trials) was the first along with USS Providence (worked on her as well) during the first Gulf war. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/23 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Well yeah.  My first trip out a guy brought me down one level and explained how the hull is squeezed by ewater pressure, the entire center floor (of 3) floated.  All plumbing had to be sleeved.  As we went down he put a pencil ine at every hundred feed we submerged.  Emergency blow from test depth and that piect of pipe with pencil marks grew an inch exposing all the marks!  Not the place I'd want a trainee repairman.

We were involve in a Crazy Ivan, but had to sign paperwork saying we would never talk about it, wonder if I'd go to jail.....

preach (dudeist priest)
1/16/23 11:24 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Those were the first two:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CHVRoojSO0tWa0fwmjZxAsplg2BNesh988XbCkGui9IebrrgQO8khTLKnbewJY82