captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/20 12:13 p.m.

Apparently octopi do as well

I love octopi, those little waterlogged aliens are my spirit animal. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/24/20 1:04 p.m.

If you have Netflix, you should definitely check this out then:

My Octopus Teacher

https://www.netflix.com/title/81045007

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
12/24/20 1:08 p.m.

I read about this earlier and loved it.  It seems the more we learn about these fascinating little creatures, the more awesome they get.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/20 1:18 p.m.

Just 1 person? I have wanted to punch many.... Or maybe I'm the one that needs to get beat up? It happened a lot in School....

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/24/20 1:23 p.m.
aircooled said:

If you have Netflix, you should definitely check this out then:

My Octopus Teacher

https://www.netflix.com/title/81045007

Although I was not planning to stay in the room, I sat down somewhere in the middle of this when my wife was watching it. I'm going to watch it again from the beginning. It's an amazing show, about an amazing animal.

I've always found them to be interesting animals. They're quite unique among the animals that have the ability to use (what appears to us) reasoning and logic to solve problems. The other animals that fit in this category, elephants, whales and dolphins, higher primates, some birds, etc. all are long lived and social animals. An octopus lives only one to three years, and almost all live a solitary life except for when mating. Link to article in the Atlantic.

Error404
Error404 Reader
12/24/20 1:24 p.m.

Wearing a mask at work has been great for dealing with 'that 1 coworker' as I can make all sorts of faces at her and she can pretend to not see it.

I have nothing to add about octipiseses

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/24/20 2:46 p.m.

The plural of octopus has been a topic of discussion in our household (yeah, we're weird, but interesting!).

Octopi would be correct were the origin from Latin, but octopus is from the Greek. That would make the plural octopidides. 

I did however, hear this addressed in an interview of the chief biologist at one of the major research institutions, I think it was Monterey aquarium. She said that the word is an English word, therefore the plural of octopus is octopuses. 

I still like octopidides. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/20 2:49 p.m.

Thank goodness I only work with three other people.  My chances of multiple people-I-want-to-punch are greatly reduced.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/20 3:11 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you for that. I have been curious about the proper plural.

12/24/20 3:21 p.m.

OctoBobCostases

OctoBobCostas'

OctoBobCosti 

OctoBobCostas 

This is the real question, and now I wish that the forum had a poll function. Can we add some more advertising on the forum in order to get a poll function? I have questions that I need answered. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
12/25/20 8:06 a.m.

Working with them is bad enough. Try managing them.

This is why I am no longer in management.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/25/20 8:08 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I've refused management "opportunities"    based on knowing adults are worse than toddlers.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
12/26/20 7:15 a.m.

So much truth in that.

The mediocre pay raise for most of the positions I've been eligible for simply isn't worth it. During my brief stint managing (but with no hire/fire authority) a auto body shop I learned just how childish grown men can be.  I felt like I was running a kindergarten, not a business.

12/27/20 12:55 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Rule number one of management positions, never accept one without the ability to terminate those beneath you. It's okay if somebody else is doing the hiring, but you have to be able to do the firing. Otherwise you carry no stick, and when the team's inability to perform occurs, which it will, as they've no reason to fear or respect you, their inability for low performance will fall back on to you. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/27/20 1:59 p.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/27/20 2:55 p.m.

Does it count that I've wanted to punch a co-worker 8 times?

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
12/28/20 10:22 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ddavidv :

Rule number one of management positions, never accept one without the ability to terminate those beneath you. It's okay if somebody else is doing the hiring, but you have to be able to do the firing. Otherwise you carry no stick, and when the team's inability to perform occurs, which it will, as they've no reason to fear or respect you, their inability for low performance will fall back on to you. 

Learned that one the hard way. Only way I was able to effectively govern was because literally everyone else was a friend of mine on shift and we'd threaten the bastard.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
12/28/20 1:30 p.m.

I have several that could use a good punching. Sadly, many of them outrank me. The worst part is they know how to do the job but, they choose laziness because their tasks always fall to the next person in line.

Kudos to the octopus.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/28/20 1:47 p.m.

I supervised a factory - mainly a lot of middle aged women doing light assembly who would argue all the time.  Few dudes thrown in for other hard jobs. 

Big burly ex-construction guy Frank comes to me to tell me that Maria hurt his feelings. 

Seriously?  Fifty year old Maria that spends her breaks in silence studying scripture?   Yes, she hurt my feelings.  

Then I decided to get into sales.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y1JqSmkOEuS4TghAzKHeWhrW9HHcFNVH1IVDGUTtds8wbr7vzTIiNteoFFUaOJk9