1 2 3 4
Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/16/16 8:09 a.m.

I want to make an iPod playlist of remakes and covers only. Things like 5 Finger Death Punch doing "Bad Company", but on the way to work I heard Van Halen's "Pretty Woman". Therefore I know I need help remembering them all...

Go!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/16/16 8:14 a.m.
scardeal
scardeal Dork
6/16/16 8:14 a.m.

Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/16 8:16 a.m.

Disturbed - Shout 2000

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
6/16/16 8:17 a.m.

House of the rising sun - Frijid Pink

"Their third 1969 effort, a distorted guitar-driven rendition of "House of the Rising Sun," reached the Top Ten on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in the spring of 1970. This disc sold over one million copies, thereby receiving a gold disc.[4] The track also peaked at No. 4 in the UK Singles Chart[5] and #3 in the Canadian RPM Magazine charts."

"The band was popular in their native Detroit area. A fledgling Led Zeppelin once opened for them at Detroit's Grande Ballroom. Frijid Pink often shared billing with the likes of the MC5, the Stooges, the Amboy Dukes, and other local groups."

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/16 8:18 a.m.

Tenacious D - Classico (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/16/16 8:19 a.m.
Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/16/16 8:22 a.m.

Faith No More does a faithful (pun intended) note-for-note version of War Pigs that's pretty good. But overall, I prefer Cake's version of War Pigs - the guitar is pure funk:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IDJgwUeW7_k?rel=0

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
6/16/16 8:29 a.m.

Kill switch Engage has a great cover of Holy Diver.

Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm

Hellyeah did a good cover of Phil Collins' I Don't Care Anymore

I'll try to think of more...

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/16/16 8:36 a.m.

Hellyeah and Disturbed are on my iPod now, they'll get added to the new playlist. Can't watch the video at work, is that Anthrax Got the Time different from the song I'm thinking of."Wake up, got another letter to write..."

Smooth Criminal yes! Forgot all about Devo. I knew this was a good idea.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
6/16/16 8:37 a.m.

Me first and the gimme gimmes- everything. Also the punk goes ------ series. They tend to be hit or miss though Some songs are great, some songs aren't worth listening to

Burrito
Burrito Dork
6/16/16 8:42 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/h9BGXs8fXhU

I'll have to give the "Milo Turn's 50" thing another listen, but when it came out this was the track that stood out above the rest to me.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
6/16/16 8:47 a.m.

Led Zeppelin was by far the best cover band ever.

.......... ducks and runs out of the room.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/16/16 8:56 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Led Zeppelin was by far the best cover band ever. .......... ducks and runs out of the room.

HA! Beat me to it.

I also like Faith No More's cover of "Easy" by The Commodores.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/16/16 8:59 a.m.

Everything Richard Cheese has covered.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/16/16 9:09 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Led Zeppelin was by far the best cover band ever. .......... ducks and runs out of the room.

Heh. It certainly is in fashion to bash Zep these days. And there's no doubt that they were, shall we say, heavily inspired by existing music. But, IMO, they made it their own, and they did it better.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
6/16/16 9:13 a.m.
Duke wrote: Faith No More does a faithful (pun intended) note-for-note version of *War Pigs* that's pretty good. But overall, I prefer Cake's version of *War Pigs* - the guitar is pure funk: https://www.youtube.com/embed/IDJgwUeW7_k?rel=0

I was about to post the same song. The change in the drum pattern is enough to make this song awesome. I don't care for the original, but the Cake version is good.

In fact, that whole album is great.

Dave
Dave Reader
6/16/16 9:20 a.m.

Big Sugar - Let it Ride

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
6/16/16 9:21 a.m.

Korn- Word Up

Metallica- Whiskey in the Jar (and others)

Disturbed- Land of Confusion

BTD
BTD New Reader
6/16/16 9:33 a.m.

Still the best cover I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rS5Eb2q27OU

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
6/16/16 9:37 a.m.

Kelly Sweet - In the Air Tonight

The Who - Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)

Body Count - Hey Joe

Warren Zevon - Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Wallflowers - Lawyers, Guns, and Money

That's just a few of my favorites from my rather extensive collection of cover songs.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/16/16 9:46 a.m.

In reply to eastsidemav:

Warren Zevon does a pretty solid cover of The Yardbirds' A Certain Girl.

It's also not modern rock by any stretch, but I really like Chicago's cover of Steve Winwood's I'm A Man from their first album, "Chicago Transit Authority". Get the long version with the percussion solo, not the single version.

The Strypes do a fantastic high-energy cover of Bo Diddley's Can't Judge A Book (By Looking At The Cover).

Jack White does a solid cover of The Blasters' I'm Shakin', and the Blasters' version is already a cover of a Little Willie blues number, too.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
6/16/16 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

I'll have to track that down. I've got quite a few Zevon CDs/LPs, but I don't have anything with that on it. Thanks.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/16/16 10:03 a.m.

Stone Sour has at least one, maybe two EP's of cover songs like Alice in Chains and Judas Priest, if you haven't heard them. (Already on my list and iPod).

I also got bored one weekend and searched Amazon for "80's metal collections", and found a rather lengthy item of various good metal songs all covered by other 80's artists. Trying to remember a few, Megadeth covering Alice Cooper, Lemmy covering Poison, Poison covering Metallica, that kind of thing. Pretty interesting...

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
6/16/16 10:10 a.m.

The Hindu Love Gods (Think R.E.M. with Warren Zevon on vox) doing Prince's "Raspberry Beret"

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XNXj7MUrNJ3MWoIMuw16DMaWSKCEAOvRBKX3x7OQkMIJyxBIhLVjaX09Be1SaluF