Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/16 8:39 p.m.

We need a new electric clothes dryer. Which one do I want?

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
8/15/16 8:44 p.m.

Speedqueen (because old school tough and simple) or whirlpool/maytag. The whirlpool/maytags with the lint filter on top are the old school ones underneath (simple and tough for the most part except for the electronics on top), while the whirlpool/maytags with the lint filter in the door have a new style blower designed to better handle longer/bad/plugged vents. Also most of the stuff like sensors and the element and motor are not really different from the old school ones. Dryers haven't changed much.

Avoid all others i would say.

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
8/15/16 9:10 p.m.

We have a Whirlpool with the top lint trap and its a pretty basic model. No issues in the 6 years we've had it. I've heard nothing good about the flashy new style machines, mostly having to do with the electronic boards and dry sensors.

I will note that 99% of the time we use the timer setting rather than auto because we suck at listening for the buzzer and getting things out right away to fight wrinkles. Ya, my shirts get shrunk a lot...

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/16/16 7:05 a.m.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 8:14 a.m.

In reply to asoduk:

That's about how long I've had my Whirlpool too. I think I got the washer and dryer on sale for about $6something for the pair and they've been fine if a bit plain looking.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/16/16 8:21 a.m.

I've been using the same Kenmore badged Whirlpool for about fifteen years now with no problems. It's one of the lint filter on the top designs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
opaueDUlH1WTbZfqCx5LGm89qmUWPWRmlnqCLXBCyXhnrwrZnMI8N1fCRxOasnnA