1 2
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/23 10:38 a.m.

I want to make my own pasta. I've done it before by hand, but the shapes and rolling make it time-consuming.

Wants:

• Small footprint (small kitchen and I live alone)
  • Sheets or shapes, but not a big deal if I cant make penne or fusili
  • Electric preferred
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
8/26/23 10:55 a.m.

Long shot, but any chance you already have a kitchen aid mixer? They make an attachment that works well. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/26/23 11:08 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Long shot, but any chance you already have a kitchen aid mixer? They make an attachment that works well. 

This. It's the easiest button out there.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/23 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Exactly what I was coming to suggest

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/26/23 11:52 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

We have this and it's fantastic. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
8/26/23 1:04 p.m.
  • 5'5"  
  • Nice tatas
  • Bangin dumper
  • Smart, but not too smart
  • Doesnt watch finances too close

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/26/23 1:36 p.m.

93gsxturbo

She was 70+ years old and not too tall, tough lady living by herself in Chicago and she made some really good cheese raviolis for New Year's Day every year.  Good Italian sausage too.  Not sure about her dumper though....

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/26/23 4:27 p.m.

We have the imported from Italy style you see on all the cooking shows. It clamps to the counter top. I think they make an electric attachment for it. Can't recall the brand.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/23 5:50 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:
  • 5'5"  
  • Nice tatas
  • Bangin dumper
  • Smart, but not too smart
  • Doesnt watch finances too close

Came here to post this. The kitchenaid attachment works well too when she's too busy 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/26/23 6:44 p.m.

I like to focus on the ergonomics and intuitive to use aspects. Easy to use with no need for instructions.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/26/23 7:59 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Have you seen Lydia's cooking show? I'm an old guy - I'll take the one who can really cook........LOL  

8/26/23 9:01 p.m.
Ranger50 said:
Steve_Jones said:

This. It's the easiest button out there.

No.  I only have a handheld mixer.  Very limited on space.

8/26/23 9:04 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to NOHOME :

Have you seen Lydia's cooking show? I'm an old guy - I'll take the one who can really cook........LOL  

I used to watch her a ton.  Tutti a tavola a mangiare.  She has a restaurant in Pittsburgh that is fantastic. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/23 9:11 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to NOHOME :

I used to watch her a ton.  Tutti a tavola a mangiare.  She has a restaurant in Pittsburgh that is fantastic. 

OT but do you happen to remember what it's called? I could do with some good Italian cooking.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/26/23 9:14 p.m.

I just had dinner in St. Louis this Wednesday - The Hill - Chicken parmigiana. 

Then the wife processed all her tomatoes and made some great sauce then a great pasta dinner tonight.  

8/26/23 9:14 p.m.

This one looks like something I could do.  Dump ingredients and it spits out various shapes... but they're all extruded shapes, like spaghetti, fettuccine, etc.  No option for just sheets for lasagna, ravioli, or gnocchi.

This roller will do sheets and cut pasta, but nothing other than plain-cut shapes... and I have to make the dough, which is one of the things I'm trying to avoid.

8/26/23 9:16 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to NOHOME :

OT but do you happen to remember what it's called? I could do with some good Italian cooking.

It was called Lidia's on Penn Ave in the strip, but it appears it's no longer there.  Restaurants - Lidia (lidiasitaly.com)

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
8/26/23 9:41 p.m.

The electric one will take as much room as a mixer, so if it's a possibility, I'd find a used mixer on marketplace for $100 and go that way. That also gives you the option of making the dough even though you don't want to :). 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/23 10:23 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to NOHOME :

Ok, so it's a ride from your place, and there isn't a lot to do in the area other than drive around, but Olives and Peppers in Greensburg is an amazing traditional Italian restaurant 

About an hour and a half from Cabelas, wv

late edit: Muriales in Fairmont, WV is pretty great too

8/27/23 10:20 a.m.

I agree, but it would be a large mixer on a tiny countertop.  This needs to fit in a wall cabinet when not in use.  Mom offered me her old Oster mixer with a bunch of attachments but I turned it down for that reason.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
8/27/23 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Makes sense. In that case I'd want the electric one you posted where you dump the stuff in and pasta comes out. It does show a lasagna tip if you dig deeper.

Edit. I just ordered it, it'll be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how easy it is after dinner tomorrow. 

8/27/23 2:57 p.m.

I berkeleying love you

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/27/23 7:16 p.m.

Before buying any of the electric models give a watch to Alex the French Guy on youtube.  He went deep down the rabbithole of pasta making.  He's kind of a Alton Brown type who gets into the science and technology of cooking.   He has a few different series on pasta making and makers this link should take you to the start of one of the playlists on the subject.

I Imported a HEAVY-DUTY Pasta Machine From China... - YouTube

Short version is he found most of the countertop machines didnt work very well, if its not using bronze dies its going to be heartache.

I just use one of the kitchenaid ones mentioned above.  Wont do shapes but great for sheets and strips.

8/27/23 7:36 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Yeah, I'm seeing that most of them will do one or the other.  I suppose I could do lasagna strips if I want to do ravioli or tortellini with the extruder machines.  I just like the idea of "put things in, pasta comes out."

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/23 7:47 p.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l7c2ujVgPP3ctt5v1o33Vg2CAZLzG9EFsr5gzDygLj3OdC7nAW6392RsiCBljxX0