1 2 3 4
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/24 11:26 a.m.

I was talking to my son the other day and he mentioned he paid $30 for a haircut. Sit down, and chop it off in 10 minutes now costs $30? That seems like a lot.  

My wife has been cutting mine for almost 40 years and before that, my mother cut it. IIRC the last one I paid for cost about $4. I get it chopped down every couple of months. I can't stand it in my eyes or ears. 

So, what do y'all pay for a haircut? How often do you get it cut? 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/24 11:29 a.m.

$24 plus tip so about $30.  I only get it cut about twice a year.  

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/24 11:33 a.m.

$30-40 when I last went and got one about 3 years ago.  I bought a clipper and a decent pair of shears for less than $80 and wife has been cutting my hair since.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/24 11:34 a.m.

Going to a real barber, meaning not a chain, within 30 minutes of my house I'm looking at $30+ $5 tip. 

If I go to the barber I grew up going to, where the mortgage was paid off 40 years ago, it's $17+$5 tip. That has 45 minutes of travel each way. 

If I were getting a buzz cut, it would probably be $10-$15, or I could do it myself. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/24 11:35 a.m.

BC, (before Covid) I was paying $7 for a haircut.

I haven't had it cut since.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
8/29/24 11:40 a.m.
mtn said:

Going to a real barber, meaning not a chain, within 30 minutes of my house I'm looking at $30+ $5 tip.

My guy is $31 plus a tip - usually he does the cut in 20-25 minutes.  Shaving cream razor cut on neck, burns and around ears.  Trims eyebrows - cuts most hair with scissors.  One of the few services I gladly pay for in life.

Every 5-6 weeks or so?  My guy is a car guy and I need to help fund that F/Type Jaguar he drives. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/29/24 11:43 a.m.

I don't particularly like the "chopped off" look, so I pay someone that knows how to cut hair.  It's funny to hear you, of all people, complaining about the cost of skilled labor.

My normal place is $20 + $5 tip for about 20 minutes of skilled cutting, with eyebrows and ears trimmed.

About every third cut, I go with my wife to her stylist, which is about $30 for the same amount of time.  No tip because she's the salon owner.

I try to go every 6 weeks, but it often ends up being about every 2 months.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/29/24 11:46 a.m.

Got it cut yesterday.  Eighteen dollars, rounded to 20.  One lady shop "out in the country."  She stays pretty busy.

wae
wae UltimaDork
8/29/24 11:46 a.m.

Local barber is $20.  And I thought that was getting expensive.  Also no tip because she owns the place.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
8/29/24 11:47 a.m.

$30+ tip ($10 usually) but its a full skin fade, beard, nose and ear trim, hot lather and straight blade cut-ins, and takes about 45mins.  He supplies beer and good-quality hardcore on the radio.   Considering I only go quarterly, I feel like this is more than reasonable. 

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/29/24 11:57 a.m.

22.00 with tip 26.40 at The BEEHIVE in Bolivar, TN

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/29/24 12:01 p.m.

$0.10 for a new safety razor every week or so.  I shaved my head May 2023 and haven't let it grow back since.  

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
8/29/24 12:03 p.m.

Local barber shop near my work is $20, plus I usually tip $4.  

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/29/24 12:03 p.m.

The local place is $30 for a haircut. That's for a haircut with scissors, eyebrows, and neck trim. A buzz with the trimmers is probably cheaper. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/29/24 12:04 p.m.

I bought a clipper on Amazon for $25 and do it myself.  I just keep it short so no worries about styling what little hair I have left.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/24 12:10 p.m.

About $15 with tip (local economy)

It was about $26 total (with tip) on base in Germany last time I went.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/29/24 12:16 p.m.

$20. But that was 15 years ago.

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/24 12:17 p.m.

My son's friend opened a shop last year, $26 for a cut. They're slammed with business already to the point where you need to book out months in advance.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
8/29/24 12:17 p.m.

I pay $30+ tip for a haircut and beard trim at the barber shop I go to. There are a few places in town that are cheaper but I never got a consistent cut and couldnt make an appointment. I travel about 30 mins to get my haircut now but I get exactly the cut I want and can schedule it for a time that is convenient for me vs waiting in line at a shop. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
8/29/24 12:20 p.m.

I think its about $25, no tip but she takes payment on a square (digital money app thing) and I just tap and go. I go every 6 weeks. Proper cut and style, eyebrows trimmed every second cut (they don't grow that fast) and a decent conversation about music or life while I am there. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/29/24 12:24 p.m.

It's up to $20 pre-tip at Cost Cutters these days, and that is an every 4 - 5 weeks expense for me.  On the plus side, at least they have an app where you can check current wait times by location, and if one is low (or zero), check in.  That way, when you get there, low to no wait regardless of how busy it got since you checked in.  But still, $20.  Plus tip.  

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
8/29/24 12:26 p.m.

I've paid for exactly one haircut in my life, two days before my wedding. That was 2013, and I think it was $25 including tip?

Otherwise, I once spent $16 for a Walmart buzzer kit with scissors. I mostly use it for my son when he decides it's time. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/24 12:30 p.m.

My last haircut was uhh 19? Years ago. Ran me $8+tip. I've been bald for 16 or so years now, so just a quick lap around the sides with the electric trimmer every few months. Those trimmers have probably cost me more than haircuts would have though because I only get like 2 years out of them whether I buy a plug-in Wahl or a generic toy from Ollie's. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/24 12:32 p.m.

My barber charges $16, I give him $20. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/29/24 12:39 p.m.

$10 and a $10 tip. She is an old friend from grade school days and is just a one person show out of her house. It's tough to get in because she's that good.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6vdlgEzicaNAb5Wt2ZZtSuZdGbBUepqLLQfiMXAsmYHgTHuDrwXEL6JbZXByiJrK