1 2 3
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/30/17 1:49 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote: A little googling makes it appear that a v8 fits between the shock towers ok, and amc v8s have the distributors in the front, so i dont think the swap should be too difficult. I wonder if any magazines have done in depth, multi issue engine swap articles lately?

Pretty sure there was a factory 304 option in the Pacer at one point. But with the 258 running, I'd see what you can get out of that motor... or get creative with mix and matching Jeep parts to build a 4.7 stroker.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/30/17 2:38 p.m.

Yes, this Pacer has the 258 cid straight six. 4.2 liters for you Furriners. Same engine put in millions of Jeeps and other AMC products. Very similar to the 4.0 liter Jeep mill as well. I believe the Pacer-X was available with the 304 V-8, but I'm pretty sure it made less power than the six.

I found out today mine is the rare "High Output" Pacer! 110 whopping horsepower, but with 328 lb /ft of torque! At least it should spin it's tires on gravel!

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/17 3:23 p.m.

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3nesBiI08ls

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/30/17 3:57 p.m.

If the answer is Pacer, then it was the right question.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/17 4:52 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I found out today mine is the rare "High Output" Pacer! 110 whopping horsepower, but with 328 lb /ft of torque! At least it should spin it's tires on gravel!

Are you sure that's not 328 NM? Because there is absolutely no way that choked down smog 4.2 makes 110 hp and 328 ft lbs of torque.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/17 5:00 p.m.
Apis Mellifera wrote: Looks kinda like:

I am having very bad thoughts.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/30/17 5:04 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Every time I see a Pacer, I'm surprised at how much less bad they look now. I think the tall window fashion of the 90's made them a lot more acceptable.

Nah. It's just like that ugly girl at work. Over time you just get accustomed to the way she looks.

Stefan wrote: Yes, but originally the Pacer was designed for a GM Rotary motor that never arrived. So they shoe-horned in the Jeep 6-cylinder and AMC V8. https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/amc-pacer-history/

Shoehorned is right. I did an engine swap on one from a 232 to a 258 and it was a miserable job.

Joe Gearin
8/31/17 10:06 a.m.
crankwalk wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: I found out today mine is the rare "High Output" Pacer! 110 whopping horsepower, but with 328 lb /ft of torque! At least it should spin it's tires on gravel!
Are you sure that's not 328 NM? Because there is absolutely no way that choked down smog 4.2 makes 110 hp and 328 ft lbs of torque.

Yeah, I think you are right--- I got that figure from a buddy, and it appears he was wrong. I think it's more like 210 lb/ ft. Looks like I'll have to find some ice to spin those tires!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/31/17 10:25 a.m.

A fishbowl! Neat!

Wow - cleans up nicely!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/31/17 10:30 a.m.

Just leaving this right here...

You already have the crank to build a 4.7L stroker, so do that and turbo it!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
8/31/17 12:16 p.m.

Hmm, the timing of this is just right. How about a last minute staff Challenge entry?

Joe Gearin
8/31/17 12:33 p.m.

I may bring the Pacer to the Challenge this year so you guys can check it out---- but competition isn't in it's near future--- becoming relatively road worthy is!

Here's an amusing walk-around video. Scroll down our FB page a bit and you'll see it:

GRM FB Page

crankwalk
8/31/17 2:44 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote:
crankwalk wrote:
Yeah, I think you are right--- I got that figure from a buddy, and it appears he was wrong. I think it's more like 210 lb/ ft. Looks like I'll have to find some ice to spin those tires!

ATF makes smokier burnouts!

Sidenote: Are you happened to be related to an Andrew and Cody Gearin (maybe mid to late 20s now)and grew up in North GA are you?

Joe Gearin
8/31/17 3:43 p.m.

Sidenote: Are you happened to be related to an Andrew and Cody Gearin (maybe mid to late 20s now)and grew up in North GA are you?

Nope--- I've met Andrew before at Road Atlanta (nice guy), but we aren't kin. My relatives come from far north of the Mason / Dixon line, up near Cape Cod MA. My immediate family is now in FL and MS. Funny, as Gearin is not a common last name---- but it's perfect for the automotive industry!

crankwalk
8/31/17 4:07 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Sidenote: Are you happened to be related to an Andrew and Cody Gearin (maybe mid to late 20s now)and grew up in North GA are you? Nope--- I've met Andrew before at Road Atlanta (nice guy), but we aren't kin. My relatives come from far north of the Mason / Dixon line, up near Cape Cod MA. My immediate family is now in FL and MS. Funny, as Gearin is not a common last name---- but it's perfect for the automotive industry!

Gotcha, yeah they were a little younger than me and we grew up in Oakwood, Ga by Road Atlanta. I don't run into a lot of Gearin's.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/31/17 8:00 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I know you are all dying in suspense, so yes, the Pacer Wagon is now in my possession! I traded an old damaged airplane propeller for it, and lunch. Seeing how I got the prop for free, this is about a $15.00 car!

Sounds like a Once in a Lifetime find.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NFSuW4qNIwdrNGtExTn6eFkPmDswqqJqtcM7VAm3jkf0Pfq6rKbCCh5hh9s26TWR