1 2
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/18 10:25 p.m.

It's time for another chapter of "Tom overthinking his purchases" smiley

We go through a pretty good amount of gasoline at Casa de Spangler. Riding mower, push mower, chainsaw, string trimmer, leaf blower, pressure washer, generator, snowblower, etc. So I try to keep a good supply of fuel on hand, at least 20 gallons or so. For the last 10-15 years I've had a motley collection of 5-ish gallon fuel jugs, 6 in total. No more than two of them are the same shape, they all have different nozzles, and several of them have developed leaks in the nozzles and/or vents. What they do all have going for them is that they pre-date the newer style CARB-compliant nozzles.

After spilling a decent amount of fuel in the trunk of the SHO due to a leaky cap, I'm thinking I want to retire the whole fleet and buy a set of 5 matching cans. But due to the 2009 law requiring CARB-compliant self-sealing nozzles, it's not as simple as going to Wal-Mart and buying some, since the new cans seem to mostly suck, at least the ones that are commonly available.

I'm not afraid to spend some money on good stuff, and I prefer metal to plastic. A good flow rate is important, as it can take a while to fill the tank on my riding mower, and I don't want to hold 5 gallons of gas up in the air any longer than I have to. It'd be nice if the tanks have a small footprint so they don't take up so much floor space in my garage. So I've done some looking, and here's what seems to be out there besides the usual big-box-store dreck.

NATO Jerry cans:

Pros: They are steel, they have a compact design that doesn't take up too much floor space, they stack together well, and if they are good enough for the world's militaries, they are probably good enough for me. Con: They are expensive, like $70-plus each. I can't tell how well the nozzles work or if you have to hold down a button to use them or what. Anybody have some insight?

Harbor Freight knockoff jerry can:

Pros: All metal, same shape as the NATO cans, half the price. Con: They don't have the same opening as the NATO cans. I actually picked one up the other day, and it has the same crappy CARB nozzle as the cheap cans. I'll probably return it.

5-gallon "Utility Jug"

Pros: Small footprint, and it seems like by calling it a "utility jug", they have avoided having to use the CARB nozzles, since there is still a separate vent. Price is moderate, several companies make them, and I see them around a lot. Cons: Plastic, I don't know, you tell me?

Eagle Safety Can

Pros: Metal construction, good online reviews, moderate price (around $30) Cons: It's round, so a bunch of them won't fit together as well, and I have no idea how the nozzle works.

No-spill gas can:

Pros: This seems to be the best implementation of the CARB nozzle, I have a small version of this and it works well. Moderate price (around $30). Cons: Plastic, not sure about the flow rate, you still have to keep a finger on the button to make it flow.

Anybody own one of these that can give me more insight? Anything I'm missing?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/8/18 11:23 p.m.

I have a couple of the Harbor Freight steel cans. I do recall it being a real pain to use.

I have several of the safety cans with the flip up cap. I didn't think those were available anymore. They're not bad, as long as you have a big funnel, and can position the can correctly right over the top. The fuel comes out so fast that you have to be careful not to overflow the funnel

I'll follow up with some more observations when it's light out.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/8/18 11:27 p.m.

You can get nozzle “fix” kits on Amazon/eBay to de-safety them.  

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/8/18 11:30 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I forgot about those, have you tried them?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/9/18 12:08 a.m.

I got one of the no spill ones. It works great and is way way way way better than any other no spill version which are usually so terrible....you spill lots

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/9/18 12:11 a.m.

Yes.  The one I got gave you an “accordian” style spout and a vent you must drill a hole for.  Works fine.  Way nicer then the gas spraying safety spout.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
7/9/18 1:03 a.m.

I don’t have personal experience with the metal cans, but the 5gal utility jug you picture  is what most Florida Spec Miata prep shops seem to use, and they beat the hell out of them, using them about every weekend. We use them too, and we’ve had a couple of hem for 7-8 years, replacing only the clear plastic tube on the spout about every 4 years. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/18 1:05 a.m.

The utility jugs are what most racers use to cart around race gas, ethanol, methanol, and Avgas. They are great, but you will need a funnel and it will only work on the riding mower. They just have a huge moth opening. That said, my Grandpa has a couple that are older than me and still holding up to constant use, so there is that.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/9/18 5:39 a.m.

I have the no spill can and it works great. You do have to hold the button down for the fuel to flow, but I actually really like that feature so I can get the nozzle into the fuel tank opening before there is fuel flowing out of it. I like the second handle on the back side, makes it easier to hold in the pouring position. Also you can loosen the cap and turn the nozzle back over the body for more compact storage. Only had mine a year but no complaints so far.

jamscal
jamscal Dork
7/9/18 5:49 a.m.

I have one of the round eagle cans but with a plastic funnel that fits over the spout. Very nice to use.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
7/9/18 6:25 a.m.

I still use the standard plastic cans and buy the old style caps and nozzles , I keep a couple of extra nozzles to replace any leakers. The bellows portion of the nozzles will eventually crack.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/9/18 7:31 a.m.

Utility Jug in "clear" gives you an instant understanding of how much fuel you have.  Both a great thing when filling at the station and emptying into the tank.  The long clear filler tube eliminates the need for an adaptor or funnel in cases like filling up this truck.  

Clear also gives you easy to see/read graduation marks which are handy if you have to mix any 2 stoke fuels.   

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/18 7:42 a.m.

I use a couple of NATO cans. They work well and don't spill. 

I also have a couple of VP race cans. The biggest complaint I have about them is the caps crack. I've replaced them several times already and they are currently cracked. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/18 7:46 a.m.

Thanks for the thoughts, folks. Seems like I might be best served with the utility jugs. Am I correct in assuming that they don't have to use the no-spill nozzles because they are not specifically called fuel cans?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/9/18 7:52 a.m.

My jug carries this disclaimer which basically says, "track only" not for road going with road fuels.  

An attempt to show the graduation marks...

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
7/9/18 7:56 a.m.

I want to swap over to the rotopax cans myself, but I don't actually know anyone who has one and can comment on it long term. The mount through the center and variety of sizes appeal to the Lego builder in me though. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/9/18 8:15 a.m.

I will say that on my Sunoco Jug (which I got for free, $40 retail) the vent plug is cheap.  I can see this being the weak link to the whole operation.  That about the vent is mentioned in Amazon reviews 

If I had to choose, I think I would like the 2 handled unit like these 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/18 8:31 a.m.

Plus one to everything John Welsh said. I recently picked up a Mr. Gasket brand 'utility jug' from Summit because I got pissed off at my crappy old can for spilling gas in the FRS. I think it was the cheapest one I could find on there that came with the filler tube at around $25. I agree that the threading on the vent cap feels like the weak link and a two handed version would be better, but all around I am extremely satisfied and no longer losing 50% of my mower gas to spills and leakage. 

My dad also has one of those Eagle safety cans that has a flexible metal pouring spout thingy, similar to the plastic utility jug. I think it's a nicer setup, but the cost was significantly higher, IIRC something like $50-75 as configured. I don't think it's enough better to justify 2-3x the cost. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/18 8:40 a.m.

I have one of the Harbor Freight metal Jerry cans, can't complain too much. I like the metal aspect. The nozzle hasn't been too much of a pain for me, but depending on your application it could be a pain. Mine at least you have to press a finger of the nozzle against the edge of your fill port to push the sleeve down and open it up. Flow probably isn't as fast as you would want though. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
7/9/18 8:58 a.m.

Walmart can plus old school neck/vent kit. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Reader
7/9/18 9:08 a.m.

I use Race jugs as posted before. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
7/9/18 9:33 a.m.

I use the Jegs 5-gallon utility jugs and like them.

https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-5-Gallon-Utility-Jugs/748910/10002/-1

They have a second handle which is really nice.

They're about $22 and you can get a cap with a hose attached for $15. I've modified them for racing in the past and got them to flow 5 gallons in about 8 seconds by enlarging the vent and piping it to the bottom of the jug and putting a larger fill hose on it. But then you lose the ability to seal it!

Anyway, I don't get the love for metal. It scratches and then rusts, it dents easily, they're not any stronger than plastic and surely not longer lived. What's the allure of a metal fuel can?

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
7/9/18 9:38 a.m.
aircooled said:

You can get nozzle “fix” kits on Amazon/eBay to de-safety them.  

That's what I would do. I hate the spring loaded push necks. They break on a regular basis because you're holding 35 lbs of gas in an awkward shape at an awkward angle in order to press the too small lip molded into the too thin fill neck against the fuel fill port to overcome the spring. Then it takes forever to fill anything because the venting is through the fill neck. I spill way more than I ever did with the not polar bear friendly versions and I'm always afraid I'm going to loose the o-ring into the fill port.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/9/18 9:54 a.m.

I bought one of these for my dad.  He has tools and vehicles like you, and he says this thing is the greatest yard work implement he owns.  He both fills it from other jugs, or throws the whole thing on the hitch mount cargo rack and fills it at the station that sells non-ethanol.  Cost wise its comparable per gallon to jugs since you cant really put 6 gallons in a 6 gallon can and transport without spilling.  No problems with filler handle thing so far and he keeps his on a table so you just pump with the squeeze handle then let it siphon/gravity fill

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/18 9:56 a.m.

I'm a fan of the no-spill ones, and use the two 5 gallon ones for all (non 2-cycle) power equipment.  They're more expensive, but with the extended spout they're worth every penny compared to the standard plastic cans.  Haven't used a metal can in years, so I can't give a good comparison against those. 

Good flow rate and no leakage are the two best features.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7oQtknFyueFdC1uTZWXAsKh09iXKoPp6WBMCTmk4nEHN3CF2eKrfGQPfKYwVxCcg