1 2
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
7/9/18 9:57 a.m.

I have used the Amazon "water jug" pour spout kits with great success.  Drill a hole, press in the vent, change the nozzle, and now your water jug doesnt spill water all over, it drains quick and easy, you don't have to do any trickery with the spout, etc.  $8 well spent.  

Suggestion:

My preference for fuel storage is one big 5 gallon can and two pony cans, one for premix (1 gallon) and one for regular (2 gallon).  I run everything 2 stroke on Amsoil 50:1 and adjust the jetting accordingly.  The pony cans are nice so you are not lugging around a big ass can, makes filling small stuff easier.  The 2 gallon size is enough to fill all my stuff at least a few times.  Plus with a pony can I know that once the big one is empty I still have some gas, since I am really forgetful about getting gas.  Only other tip with using a pony can is make sure you run it completely empty before refill.  I must have gotten some water in my 2 gallon pony can at one point and it made everything run like dookey until I completely emptied it.  I ended up burning it up in a campfire, couldn't justify burning it in an engine.  Condensation will eventually add water to your pony can, and if you never empty it you will never get rid of that condensation.  

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/18 10:04 a.m.

I've heard these are great, I have never tried them. 

https://www.amazon.com/SureCan-Gas-Rotating-Spout-Gallon/dp/B014VAGRIS

I just use the metal jerry cans. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/18 10:24 a.m.

Man, there are a lot more fuel can designs out there than I ever imagined!

I like the idea of a clear plastic container so I can easily see how much is in it, but am I going to get in trouble for dispensing fuel into a clear "utility jug" at a gas station, since fuel containers are supposed to be red?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/9/18 10:55 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

I have not been confronted about the clear jug at the pump but the big Sunoco logo in the bottle has a way of making the jug look legit.  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/9/18 10:56 a.m.

No gas station I have ever been to has ever given two E36 M3s about what kind of container I am pumping into. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
7/9/18 11:00 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

I can confirm that they do ask questions when you fill up iced tea bottles with gas. In Florida of all places.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/18 11:37 a.m.

https://www.ruralking.com/5-gallon-polyethylene-fluid-container

i have 10 of those plus a red sunoco one.  I use them for gas and for heating oil.  Nobody really pays attention to what you’re pumping fuel into, i have 4 Home Depot buckets with paint bucket lids that have pour spouts that I’ve been known to use for diesel.  If you’re really concerned, the summit racing contingency stickers are large and fit over the rural king logo perfectly.  The race fuel jugs come in all kinds of colors.  

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/18 11:57 a.m.
Patrick said:

https://www.ruralking.com/5-gallon-polyethylene-fluid-container

i have 10 of those plus a red sunoco one.  I use them for gas and for heating oil.  Nobody really pays attention to what you’re pumping fuel into, i have 4 Home Depot buckets with paint bucket lids that have pour spouts that I’ve been known to use for diesel.  If you’re really concerned, the summit racing contingency stickers are large and fit over the rural king logo perfectly.  The race fuel jugs come in all kinds of colors.  

Hmm.... There's a Rural King about 5 minutes from my house, too.

cdowd
cdowd Dork
7/9/18 12:07 p.m.

I used the 5 gallon jugs with good lids (though I am thinking of getting the metal 5 gallon jugs).  and one of the siphon hoses.  It will drain the 5 gallons way faster than i can pour it. 

siphon hose

I would use 3 of the 5 gallon jugs to fill my ski boat.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
7/9/18 12:18 p.m.

I bought a big blue 5 gallon can for kerosene, pump gas into it all the time.  No worries.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/9/18 3:47 p.m.

I like that lower handle option on the Rural King Jug!  

Edit: actually, looking closer that is not a thru- handle but rather an indent to assist.  Still good.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uBcKnJRPqB6HjoFEgfLhEauZbvwuyRSpLQoJGynDW4NiDpgWVmwqUMu1Xt2k6xoS