1 2 3 4 5
nderwater
nderwater UberDork
11/30/12 9:50 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I've been looking for an original JAZZ transformers action figure for a few years. The ones on ebay are either all jacked up, or overpriced... Maybe I'm just too cheap!

Ditto that. I thought transformers were expensive as a kid (could never afford the ones I really wanted) but vintage examples are absurd now.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
11/30/12 9:58 a.m.

I was actually given a Red Ryder bb gun for Christmas a few years ago as a joke. Man I was lucky as a kid I had quite a few of the toys mentioned here like the Millennium Falcon and the transformers mentioned.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
11/30/12 10:47 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Still want one of these: Except I ain't paying the $100 for one now....

I still have mine in the attic, partially disassembled after building it 25+ years ago... I was just looking at it the other day while I was going nuts looking for something and actually considering tossing it. I think it's relatively complete. If you want to play with it, it's yours.

Wally, Tamiya seems to reissue the Bruiser (or variants) every now and then. I remember it was a $350 kit back in 1986 when I was into R/C. I think it's about double that now? Still, I want R/C cars that are old style "kits" rather than ready to run cars. Building the car (I had/still have a Frog) was half the fun to me. I remember buying a '69 Charger body for it and then discovering the wheel base was different, so I fabricated brackets out of aluminum to stretch the wheelbase of the Frog chassis.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/30/12 11:05 a.m.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who still wants Robotech toys.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
11/30/12 11:15 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who still wants Robotech toys.

Somehow I completely missed Robotech when it was on TV (I think it was on when I was in high school and didn't really watch much TV), so I never saw the toys. However, I discovered the books while I was in college so I'd read them on the train... when I should have been studying... and then discovered the anime when working at a comic book store.

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer HalfDork
11/30/12 6:11 p.m.
ZOO wrote: I forgot this:

I was at the TA in Hurican, WV last night. They had some of these going for about $30, if I remember right.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
11/30/12 7:03 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
RexSeven wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: Legos. All of them.
THIS. However, there is one set in particular I've always wanted:
I kept ALL of my LEGOs. And I had a LOT of them. (I believe I have 7+ of the biggest Rubbermaid cases full of them.) I've decided when I own a house, I'm going to get into model railroading. With LEGOs. I'm going to go on eBay and buy loose LEGO bricks by the garbage bag, disinfect them (because who knows where those things have been), and build an epically-awesome LEGO town consisting of trains, roads, and 5-foot-tall skyscrapers.

There are LEGO model railroaders out there. The New England LEGO Users Group (NELUG) always has an impressive display at train shows:

And a sense of humor:

One thing to note is that LEGO no longer makes two-rail powered models. All their new stuff is battery-powered, but in the same gauge (space between rails). You can put a battery-powered model on the electric rail and it will work, but not the other way around.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
11/30/12 7:26 p.m.
ZOO wrote: I forgot this:

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
11/30/12 7:59 p.m.

I just wanted a cool car, still have that want.

This was the first one I got at 15 (same as)

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/30/12 9:34 p.m.

In reply to RexSeven:

If I'm not working sunday I'm hoping to see them. https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Great-Train-Extravaganza-Empire-State-Plaza-Albany-NY/128116207275127

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
11/30/12 9:45 p.m.

...everything

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
11/30/12 11:57 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote:
mndsm wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: Millennium Falcon... I made one out of cereal boxes as a kid but it just wasn't the same.
TRU has re-released the original Kenner (now Hasbro) Aluminum Falcon, just in time for Xmas. 250$ and it's yours.
What the hell is an "Aluminum Falcon"?

I am REALLY glad that wasn't lost here. Still one of my favorite lines from that show, of ALL time.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
11/30/12 11:59 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Three words: THE GREEN MACHINE Still WANT!

Made by Huffy, currently available in sizes to accomodate up to 180lbs. Pretty sure i'd fit in it if I sat down on it.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/1/12 8:19 a.m.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ddisabatino/8-banned-kid-toys-from-yesteryear-6sel

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/1/12 8:20 a.m.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
12/1/12 9:00 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:

These are but one of the toys I, according to the current crop of safety Nazis, miraculously enjoyed without killing anyone. (Not that, in retrospect, they were the greatest idea)

On an unrelated note:

My son and I recently revisited one of the childhood "toys" that never worked out for me. My dad and I built 3 or 4 RC planes when I was a kid (the old gas engine, balsa and fabric kind) but never quite got the hang of flying them. 6 months of building time for less than 10 minutes total air time ultimately led us to hang it up. My son talked me into one of these: http://www.ares-rc.com/gamma370.html for his 11th birthday. As it turns out, the foam/battery planes are way cheaper, easier and more durable than the "old school" stuff and, for the "Playstation generation", way easier to get the hang of. He's having a blast and, when he moves up to something faster, I'll probably start learning to fly on his current plane.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
12/1/12 10:54 a.m.

You and your boy need this for your garage:

Mini-Vapor

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
12/1/12 11:26 a.m.
ransom wrote: Secretly? Not that I can think of... I'll happily admit to wanting all kinds of kids' toys; some I had when I was a kid, others that I just wanted... Of course, it mostly turns out I don't seem to have time to play with things these days. Even my "grownup" toys don't get the exercise they ought to... I never play with my Tamiya AA-powered Unimog, or maybe I'd let myself go find one of these from my youth:

YEEEEEAH!!!! I think our record was 8 AA batteries stacked in the back of one of the trucks. That berkeleyer would SCOOT!

And great. Now I NEED one of these.

AugustusGloop
AugustusGloop New Reader
12/1/12 11:44 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:

Put a hole in the neighbor's camper with those things when we were kids... lucky it wasn't our skulls.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/1/12 12:33 p.m.
AugustusGloop wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
Put a hole in the neighbor's camper with those things when we were kids... lucky it wasn't our skulls.

military grade lawn darts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flechette

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
12/1/12 12:44 p.m.

Instead of spamming this thread with where you can get the toys of yesteryear, i'll post my own for once. Tyco Turbo Train.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngIuQoBRIs

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/1/12 2:37 p.m.
AugustusGloop wrote:
JoeyM wrote:

I think that pretty much ANY cottage will have a set of these hiding somewhere. Someone must have made a killing selling these things.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/1/12 2:56 p.m.

In reply to ZOO:

I still have our set of Jarts. Original packaging too.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
12/1/12 3:42 p.m.
ZOO wrote:
AugustusGloop wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
I think that pretty much ANY cottage will have a set of these hiding somewhere. Someone must have made a killing selling these things.

There may still be a set in my neighbor's basement or garage. Good times, good times...

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
12/1/12 3:54 p.m.

lost my lionel track in a house fire many moons ago

... so I recently bought two complete sets offa fleabay

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FUXTr7FDqrk794DtFkwj3B8n9PCVSDDoaaX8P9dT4SQXmYIhkbg1rEzWITQAmJn9