20Ver
20Ver New Reader
12/26/09 3:59 p.m.

Sounds like I am going to have the entire week before the Rolex24 to make it to Florida. I will be driving and living in my VW camper and most likely doing it alone as none of my buddies can get time off or have money. I live in MN and plan to take I35 straight south for a while to get out of the snow and freezing rain, then turning east. Plus, I have made the MN to Atlanta and Columbia, SC drive enough times that I think I have done all the big attractions along that route.

Here is all I have come up with so far: I was toying with meeting up with an old co-worker. She lives in Springfield, MO and is a super nice old lady and would get a real kick out me stopping by to have lunch with her.

Then I was thinking of dropping over to Graceland. I have never been to Graceland and I have no idea why I want to go, but I figured I will be in the neighborhood. After Graceland I am sort of clueless.

Fisher buggies, but I'm afraid I would finally scratch that sand rail itch I keep telling myself I don't need to scratch.

How about any crazy old junkyards or cool car things to see along the way?

Otherwise, I might just try and make it to FL as quick as possible and find some beach to live on in the van.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/26/09 10:06 p.m.

St. Augustine is a decent tourist trap, lots of cool history, and shirts all over the place that proclaim "surrender the booty", Panama City is the "redneck riviera", only about 8 hours from Daytona, Savanah is full of history, but the town has it's own rep, there's always the Dragon, and while ur at in Tenn. there's always gatlinburg, I'm sure there's a cool museum or two to swing by, I think there's an air force museum in brunswick, if you come down and drive across I-10 there's the USS Alabama to stop and see. YMMV sounds like a cool road trip let us know how it goes.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/27/09 9:01 a.m.

come pick me up in northern Atlanta, and I will drive the 12 hours to Daytona.

(if you don't want to do that, I second Savannah)

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
12/27/09 1:29 p.m.

you could plan on seeing lots of cops thru the city of Tifton in southern GA, but being in a VW Camper, i think you will be flying under the radar

f86sabjf
f86sabjf New Reader
12/27/09 1:45 p.m.

hmmmm maybe stop in St Augustine see the spanish fort and the fountain of youth maybe??

20Ver
20Ver New Reader
12/28/09 11:20 a.m.

The Tail in the camper just doesn't sound as fun as it would be in a normal car. Suppose I could go rent a cobalt or something for the day.

I sort of did Panama City last spring break. Well I did the fancy resort town called Seaside last spring on my sister's families dime. It was awesome, but all I paid for was my flight and we didn't go out of the fake resort city much.

I've been to Savanah, but its been years. (lived in Atlanta when I was a kid and have been visting family in GA and SC since I was in grade school). I think I have been to St. Augustine, I remember some old rock fort out on the end of a park/point or something like that but that's a good option.

I'm toying with hitting Stillsboro biscuits which is north of Atlanta and was only a few miles from my Sisters old house. Basically a kick ass home made Egg McMuffin made from a semi crazy lady in a shack.

Also I kind of want to redo the Jack Daniels tour, I did it once probably 20 plus years ago with my dad, but I was in grade school or middle school. That might be an on the way home stop.

I'm going to ask my boss if I can telecommute on Monday and Tuesday so I can take my time getting home after the race.

20Ver
20Ver New Reader
1/15/10 11:04 a.m.

Are bikes or go-peds allowed at the Rolex? I'm debating bringing my 20" bmx bike (yes I still fit on a BMX bike, but heck if I can do any tricks on it). or my go-ped (would be easier to haul down there) as a way to get around the track. I know some of the larger tracks have cracked down on non insured track vechicles in the last few years, so I don't want to haul extra crap down there and not be able to use it.

P.S. Leaving town the morning of the 23rd and I'm getting excited for a week off, some free roaming and eating BBQ. Guy's at work have been debating whether or not I can eat BBQ everyday for the week straight.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
1/15/10 11:28 a.m.

After Graceland, hit the Lane Museum in Nashville.

20Ver
20Ver New Reader
1/15/10 12:14 p.m.

Maybe I can hit that museum on the way home. But once I get past Memphis my plan is some of the following, but not all of them.

New Orleans, A visit to APR (www.goapr.com), Search some local yards for old VW parts, Stroll the pan handle

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
1/15/10 12:24 p.m.
20Ver wrote: A visit to APR (www.goapr.com),

BOOO!!!

cwh
cwh SuperDork
1/15/10 2:26 p.m.

Something wrong with them? Website looked interesting.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
1/15/10 2:47 p.m.

In reply to cwh:

my company's main competitor...

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
1/15/10 9:24 p.m.

If you find yourself coming through Macon on I-75 where I-16 forks to Savannah, call 478 972 9741. I will show you an obscure National Monument where Native Americans trod these parts as long as 10,000 years ago. It's totally cool. Look up Ocmulgee National Monument for more info. I would be proud to show it to you.

Bucky

20Ver
20Ver New Reader
1/26/10 12:09 p.m.

Thanks for the offer Bucky, but I'm south west of Macon at this point.

Heading across the panhandle tonight/tomorrow and going to the race from there. Its been a great trip so far!

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
1/26/10 8:30 p.m.

I tend to think about places to eat as part of my travels. The Shell House near Savanah is a great place. Pelican Point near Darian is also worth the effort. Houston's in Atlanta is always a good meal. St Augustine is full of great restaurants including Harry's. Any dive in New Orleans will give you the best meal that you have eaten this month. Good luck and have a great drive.

lewbud
lewbud New Reader
1/26/10 11:47 p.m.

If you like Civil War stuff, the Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus GA, is pretty interesting. If you're passing through Pensacola, the Naval Aviation Museum is outstanding. My dad and I did Graceland last year on our way to Bloomington Gold. It's cool but watch your wallet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qswg8QvtvwVGUnFGGT26nTueQ9CtgUmtoRQoGrWq5nBzHAYbN37FFIanPlmBYdYD