1 2
Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/22/24 5:00 p.m.

I've been waiting for this thread.

I'm the kind of driver that likes to see way ahead and drive accordingly. I drive a little car that's lowered. Everything now is HUGE and has dark tinted rear windows. So the answer is most anything, and everything.

But more specifically, Toyotas, any model. I theorize that the type of people that buy Toyotas either know nothing about cars, and/or have no interest in driving, and buy them entirely out of fear and safety, and it shows in their driving habits. They're also apparently the only people on the road because they are the most inconsiderate drivers on the planet. Driving too slowly, slowing down too early, taking too long to accomplish anything, and just generally being a nuisance on the road. CRV drivers are quickly becoming Toyota drivers to me, as well

No Time
No Time UberDork
5/22/24 5:03 p.m.

I'm annoyed being behind anything that has had a flasher added to the brake lights. 

People that can't maintain a steady speed or use the car next to them as a point of reference, resulting in them speeding up when being passed and then slowing back down once the realize what their doing. 

If I was to stereotype, I'd say I dislike being behind vehicles with NY and NJ plates. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/22/24 10:22 p.m.

The drivers that can't maintain a constant speed bug me the most. Yesterday I encountered one that was varying between 52 and 85. The 85 is for the when there aren't any other cars in the adjacent lane. 52 is for when catching up to and then matching speed with someone else that's driving slowly in the other lane. Speed limit is a very rarely enforced 65. Most of the traffic runs 70+.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/22/24 10:28 p.m.

Even if they’re moving slowly, I always give a bye to an air-cooled Volkswagen. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/24 11:36 p.m.

1) Slow people in the left lane... despite taking a driving test in which that was one of the questions you had to get right, and despite there being a sign every half mile that says "keep right except to pass." and "slower traffic keep right."

The south is SO TERRIBLE at that.  You have two lanes, and there will be a few vehicles in the right lane going 66, and a string 20 cars in the left lane doing 66.2.

2) People who don't use both lanes to the merge point.  Not only are they endangering everyone, but they have the audacity to split the lane and block those of us obeying the law as if they're righteousness is found in their stupidity

3) Trucks who use their 120k lb vehicles to intimidate other cars - swerving, tailgating, or just taking the lane without leaving a gap.  I get it.  I have a CDL and drove for 15 years.  It sucks losing a head of steam, but it doesn't give you the right to bully little tin cans with your sledge hammer.

I love people who use cruise control, are aware of their surroundings, and know who has the right of way at stop signs.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/23/24 8:59 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

The south is SO TERRIBLE at that.  You have two lanes, and there will be a few vehicles in the right lane going 66, and a string 20 cars in the left lane doing 66.2.

It seems to be getting a little better of late, but I swear that 10 years ago it was illegal for North Carolinians to drive anywhere but the left lane and speed limits were enforced by death.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
5/23/24 9:02 a.m.
Duke said:

It seems to be getting a little better of late, but I swear that 10 years ago it was illegal for North Carolinians to drive anywhere but the left lane and speed limits were enforced by death.

Florida being the exception.  We were on I-75 last year, and Mrs. VCH made me get out of the hammer lane, as I was doing 90 mph and holding up traffic.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/23/24 9:50 a.m.

Just since Monday, I've been behind 3 different cars who just do a quick left-right glance and BLOW through a 4-way stop.   Stupid or believe cops have better things to do?

No Time
No Time UberDork
5/23/24 9:54 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

We have a 4 way stop in town and periodically there will be an accident because someone does just that. The last one ended up with a car on its side following impact. 

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
5/23/24 10:42 a.m.

Gross polluters that make my eyes water and/or things that are obnoxiously loud.

Dirty diesels. Coal rolling bro-dozers Decatted "tuned" cars that are running over rich. Harleys that run with the choke closed. These tend to all fall into the "and" category of being loud too.

Pleasure to be behind... it's usually more the driver than the car. An active driver who is paying attention, driving smoothly, anticipating traffic, and clearly communicating their intentions.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/24 11:04 a.m.
914Driver said:

Just since Monday, I've been behind 3 different cars who just do a quick left-right glance and BLOW through a 4-way stop.   Stupid or believe cops have better things to do?

Our city is doing the roundabouts.  I have lived places with lots of them, so I know how to use them, but watching the locals here get in harmless fender benders daily is quite entertaining.

I was wishing for a dashcam on Monday as I was rounding one and a lady just drove right in in front of me.  I laid on the horn and her frightened face looked like a freeze frame of someone sneezing.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
5/23/24 11:39 a.m.

Our city is doing the roundabouts.  I have lived places with lots of them, so I know how to use them, but watching the locals here get in harmless fender benders daily is quite entertaining.

I was wishing for a dashcam on Monday as I was rounding one and a lady just drove right in in front of me.  I laid on the horn and her frightened face looked like a freeze frame of someone sneezing.

Had a similar scenario last year when heading to Daytona for the ChampCar race.  I'm going to turn left and the moron coming the other way just ignores the rules of the roundabout and cuts me off.  Laid on the horn, so he stops in front of me...where I can't move.  Then he gives me the finger and goes on.

This is after my E350 blew out another spark plug, so my wife went to borrow the van from church...which had the cats stolen from it in the parking lot.  So, plug repair kit installed, starting 4 hours behind schedule...so I was absolutely DONE with everyone's BS.  

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
5/23/24 12:32 p.m.

Around here people speed up to get *to* a roundabout as fast as they can, then come to a complete stop and just sit there.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
5/23/24 1:02 p.m.

Loathe/Hate: anything with an Indiana or Ohio plates.

Anything else I can deal with.

nderwater
nderwater MegaDork
5/23/24 3:04 p.m.

When driving my Boxster I hate to drive behind Big SUVs with tinted windows.  They block so much of my view of the road ahead, I might as well be holding an index card in front of my face.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/23/24 3:11 p.m.

I hate being behind any diesel vehicle, the older the worse, but even modern ones stink.  After that it's people in the left lane doing less than 5 over and not moving.

Like, anything with a cute ass.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/23/24 4:57 p.m.

I am also the type who looks really far ahead.  Pretty much as far as I can. I will see cars braking and be easing off the gas before the cars ahead of me even start braking.  My goal is to NOT brake unless I have to - hoping to break the accordion chain of traffic slowing, or at least try not to amplify it. 

If I can't see around the vehicle in front of me, it means I'm too close to it.   The smaller the car I'm driving, the farther back I usually am.  Sometimes that does mean drivers cut in front of me. I can live with that.  

If I'm in the left lane on most highways (in PA; mainly on the PATP), I'm usually going as fast as the car in front of me.  That may be 60 MPH... that might be 90 MPH.  On the PATP, either speed can be the normal flow of traffic.  When I'm in other states, I'm usually in the right lane with the cruise set at about 5 mph over the limit, traffic permitting. 

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/23/24 5:06 p.m.

On divided roads I don't much care but the bulk of our highways are only two lanes and having to get on the wrong side of the road to see if it's safe to pass is a mug's game.

Like / don't mind: anything I can see around or travelling at a decent speed

Loathe: anything I can't 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/23/24 6:19 p.m.

In Canada, we give poor drivers plates with red numbers so they're easy to avoid.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VDFX4dchIPuRXqBze9HvHRTMJo64fNi4LabVl2RahQAg0kX3ifBmKTzPB68V67kN