1 2 3 4
Will
Will HalfDork
4/21/10 6:05 a.m.

In honor of the "what was the cool car the year you were born" thread: what was the new car you really, really wanted when you were in high school? Have you had a chance to buy that car yet?

I was in the high school class of 97. People will laugh, but for me the car to have was the 94-95 Thunderbird SC. I grew up riding in my dad's 57 T-Bird, so I loved the history of the T-Bird. I still love the looks of the Supercoupe, and yes, I now own one. It's a red 94 5-speed that's completely built. To paraphrase Kevin Spacey in American Beauty: I always wanted one, and now I have one. I rule!

So what was the car you wanted so bad you could taste it?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
4/21/10 6:09 a.m.

When I was in high school there was a girl with shiny dark hair, lots of teeth and big blue eyes that drove a yellow and white Nash Metropolitan with a continental kit. Always wanted to climb in both.

924guy
924guy Dork
4/21/10 6:41 a.m.

69 mach 1, with the cobra jet package... never did get one, or any mustang for that matter, though i did manage a 70 Torino that 'was' a CJ optioned car, but all the good bits were swapped out , to a stang no doubt, before i got it. after high school my tastes changed and i went over to gm for a few years, until i met my first audi quattro, which led me to Porsche, and nothing been the same since...

misread the post , above was the car i wanted when i was a senior in high school, and it was already 18 years old , didnt really care much at the time for anything "new." :)

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/10 6:44 a.m.

1950 Ford DeLuxe coupe, 2" chop, dressed to look like a 1950s era race car , Metric NASCAR suspension, 800hp Cup engine, Rock Crusher, black racing wheels.

I have completely changed my mind about the project though.

I would rather put an LSx engine in it with a T5, paint it flat tan with no stickers with black alloy Aero racing wheels!

Marty!
Marty! HalfDork
4/21/10 6:49 a.m.

5.0 Mustang Gt. Vanilla Ice was my hero. Haven't got one..... yet. Wifey still hates them.

BTW; Thunderbird SC's were and still are cool.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
4/21/10 6:59 a.m.

this exact car was what a neighbor had - 1969 Dodge Charger - pea soup green

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
4/21/10 7:06 a.m.

69 Javelin.

There was a guy in our school that had one with a 343, and 4 speed. It was pretty awesome.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
4/21/10 7:08 a.m.

Had it. '65 Mustang convertible, black w/gray Shelby stripes, 302 and Keystone mags. It was a very good senior year.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/10 7:10 a.m.

Graduated in '89, really wanted a Conquest TSi, then a Talon TSi/AWD. The idea of a 4-season sports car sounded awesome to me.

I ended up with a new '97 Eclipse GSX, had it 3-years, never own another.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/21/10 7:17 a.m.

Pantera.

A kid I went to school with won a lawsuit over some kind of car crash he had... bought one with the settlement. In our sea of rusty Novas, Monte Carli and Dusters it was ridiculous. No one had even heard of it before - it might as well have been a Ferrari GTO only we knew it was badass because it had a motor everyone had heard of. I can't even remember his name now that I'm trying... but I have wanted a white/blue Pantera ever since.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
4/21/10 7:26 a.m.

+1 on Pantera.

Or a Vector.

stroker
stroker Reader
4/21/10 7:41 a.m.

512 Berlinetta Boxer.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
4/21/10 7:47 a.m.

class of 2008. I wanted a Miata, E30 M3, Elise, and a Z06. Not much has changed.

chuckles
chuckles New Reader
4/21/10 7:47 a.m.

Lotus Elan. Until I saw a photo of an Elite.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
4/21/10 7:49 a.m.

ah...Pantera...a friend of my grandfather had two of them, a '71 and a '73. I used to bug the crap out of him to go visit so I could sit in them. he also had a Stallion (a Cobra replica) but it was the Pantera that I lusted after.

In HS though I complete lusted after a Lotus 7. I've driven them, but never owned one. There was a test in Road and Track with one and I cut it out and put on my wall when I was like 13 or so.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/21/10 7:53 a.m.

Easy - Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with black stripes sitting on 15 x wide Corvette Ralley wheels.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/21/10 7:53 a.m.

LP400S/LP500S Countach

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
4/21/10 8:06 a.m.

My high school dream car was a Porsche 550.

35 years later, it still is.

WilD
WilD Reader
4/21/10 8:13 a.m.

Class of '97. I wanted a Porsche so bad, but they were just a little bit out of reach. I looked at and drooled over a bunch of them, usually early 944 examples. I ended up with a '77 Corvette at the time. I still want a 944, but I'm afraid if I actually buy one now the reality won't live up to the dream.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
4/21/10 8:15 a.m.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
4/21/10 8:18 a.m.

Class of '82, so there wasn't anything new that I wanted at all. The car I lusted after was my buddy's '70 Grabber Orange Judge with a Ram Air 428, Hurst close-ratio 4-speed, and 4.11 posi rear.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
4/21/10 8:20 a.m.

scirroco/corrado, there were about 8 or 9 kids in my class who had em, and they formed a kind of VW club, and they were pretty great looking examples. It was an all guys HS, so pretty much the whole student body knew cars and admired those Veedubs. I liked em, but I kinda wanted a supra when I was in HS.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
4/21/10 8:22 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Easy - Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with black stripes sitting on 15 x wide Corvette Ralley wheels.

Me too. Class of 78. An the only thing built in the last half of the seventies that held any interest for me was Nova. I bought a new Camaro Z28 in 82. It was a gutless dog for 3 months till I got a cam and intake, but it was a thing of beauty, and a real handler at the time.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/21/10 8:26 a.m.

I was class of 94. Kinda shows how timeless that car is.

This is real close to perfect -

Looks like it's on 15 x 7 Ralleys. I prefer a 15 x 8 F / 15 x 10 R setup, and I could go for maybe an inch or so of lowering. Otherwise, that pretty much nails it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/10 8:47 a.m.

Class of '87. I wanted an MR2, half because of the car, half because of Gretchen who drove one. The Turbo Buicks were pretty cool at that time (make mike a grey sleeper) and I also got close to buying a big-block Nova SS.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mtK4ATX71nFLIMcSeL8DyoF2aEsTLsy4w2HqpWWkngFgFsn7dEYkn8LtnbIIvV8z