1 2 3 4
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/10 1:42 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Almost got to take one to my senior prom if is wasn't for my Principle Mr. McDaniel, suspended me the week of, therefor, could not attend...

If it makes you feel any better, my karmalyzer has calculated that your principal is going to hell now for keeping a teenage boy from driving a 360 Spyder to his high school prom

lewbud
lewbud Reader
4/21/10 1:48 p.m.

Didn't have so much of a dream car as I did a dream engine. I was in love with my 73 Pinto station wagon and had just gotten Vizard's How to Hot Rod the 2.0 OHC. In it he had a 2.0 OHC with an unobtanium Cosworth DOHC conversion (something I still want). I figured that head plus a turbo (was/still a big fan of the Mustang GTP) would be able to beat any car in the parking lot. The guy at the headshop had another interest proposition for the 73. He had a 392 hemi complete with blower that was a barn find. I told him that would be cool, but I thought the torque from starting her up would severely twist the poor Pinto's frame.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/21/10 1:48 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Almost got to take one to my senior prom if is wasn't for my Principle Mr. McDaniel, suspended me the week of, therefor, could not attend...
If it makes you feel any better, my karmalyzer has calculated that your principal is going to hell now for keeping a teenage boy from driving a 360 Spyder to his high school prom

eh, its ok. I got my shot back at him when i dropped my lil brother off a couple years later in a 07 Lambo Gallardo Spyder in bright ass Orange! He thought i wouldnt amount to anything in life, that showed him...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/10 1:49 p.m.

Anything that ran better or was faster or was better looking than what I was driving at the moment. I had AutoADD back then too. The top of the list was always a 1st gen RX-7.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/21/10 1:50 p.m.

Class of '90.

288 GTO

Sooo HAWT.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet New Reader
4/21/10 2:10 p.m.

Class of 2000 here. In high school, I had a 1964 Buick Skylark and a pair of $250 1987 Mercury Cougar XR7's. I wanted nothing but to make those cars cool.

The Buick was a hard top and it had the "Fireball" 225 V6 and the Super Turbine 300 2-speed auto. I always wanted to get a 3.8 Turbo V6 out of a Grand National, paint the car black, and get some Buick T-Type wheels for it. That never happened because it developed some serious rust problems, which lead me to the Cougar twins.

I picked them both up off a Hyundai dealer's wholesale lot. This lot was always stocked with mod fodder, because they used to have these " push it, pull it, or tow it" events where any car would get a $2000 trade-in value. My sister worked there, and she would call if something cool showed up. She sold me to come down and check out a couple of Cougars that had shown up. There was a 1985 Turbo XR7 and a 1987 5.0 XR7, and I chose the V8-powered one. I picked that first one up (a white one with the ultra rare 2 tone leather interior) and had hopes of fixing it up with a built 5.0 and a 5-lug conversion, but the tranny blew up about 4 months after buying it. So, I called her up, and they had another one, except it was silver on blue velour. I used the old one for parts and drove it for a year, with the same hopes of fixing it up. I had planned to do the following:

-5.0 H/O swap -5 lug conversion -Thunderbird Turbo Coupe hood with the dual scoops -suspension upgrades -8.8 rear disc rear swap from a LSC -a nice stereo (of course, it was high school, after all)

Yeah, so that never happened. I ended up selling it after buying a 1989 Maxima to commute to college in.

Looking back, I wish I could have saved that Buick. It was really cool, and doing that 3.8 Turbo swap would have been really cool and different. I kinda wish I kept one of those Cougars too. I haven't seen one of those Cougars in years!!! The guy I sold the last one to had all the parts to do everything I wanted to do with it. I wonder if he ever got it done.

A similar Buick (this one is customized, but similar to my vision)

And a Cougar:

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
4/21/10 2:27 p.m.

I'm a youngin', apparently. Class of '98, wasn't much of a car guy in high school.

I wanted one of these: I've never owned a Scooby, but I always loved the look of the SVX.

Then I wanted one of these: 1996 S351 with the 505hp Supercharged motor. I did own a '98 Cobra, so I got close, but never one of those badboys.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
4/21/10 2:39 p.m.

I wanted a FFR Cobra so bad in highschool that I could taste it. My tastes have changed a bit since and I am lusting over Lotuses, but last summer a friend did let me codrive his FFR at an autocross fulfilling my dreams in a way.

(me in said FFR, its supercharged and has about 550hp )

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez New Reader
4/21/10 3:03 p.m.

In 1991, I wanted a Monster Miata with Panasports. I actually got a 1991 Miata, 8 years later. No 5.0 V8, but I did pick up a set of "super light weight" (15lbs?) pannys.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
4/21/10 3:13 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: Easy - Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with black stripes sitting on 15 x wide Corvette Ralley wheels.
Me too. Class of 78. An the only thing built in the last half of the seventies that held any interest for me was Nova. I bought a new Camaro Z28 in 82. It was a gutless dog for 3 months till I got a cam and intake, but it was a thing of beauty, and a real handler at the time.

Hugger orange is awesome. My dad painted his MGB that color when he was about 20 years old.

spdracer315
spdracer315 Reader
4/21/10 3:35 p.m.

Class of 2007. It might be shorter to list the cars i didnt lust after in high school.

+1 for GNX

390 '68 Mustang (Bullitt)

440 Cuda

68 Charger (think FF, but i liked them before the movie!)

DeLorean

Sterotypical 50's hot rod (American Graffiti)

Pretty much anything load, fast, and would get me killed in about 10 seconds. Except the Delorean, but i dont care, i still like that car.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
4/21/10 3:44 p.m.

I was in high school in the early-mid 90's. My dream cars at the time were the FD RX-7 and 993 Turbo. Heck, I would still love to have either one of these:

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
4/21/10 4:02 p.m.

class of '67... this is what I wanted ... came close, had a '64 while I was in the Navy

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/21/10 4:03 p.m.

Class of '02.

Contemporary cars included Lincon MK VIII LSC, Subaru WRX, Pontiac Firefird LS1, Jeep Wrangler, 4x4 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab 5.9, Nissan Xterra, H1. And the Ducati Monster 600.

Lets not even get into the old cars I wanted

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
4/21/10 4:20 p.m.

Class of 2004: I was not really interested in cars until early in high school, when I picked up a used copy of GT2. The car I loved playing the most was the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI. I hated that Mitsu never sold it in the US, so when I found out Mitsu was bringing over the Evo VIII for 2003 I was beside myself. Every time I saw an Evo VIII pass by my smokey, rotting S13 coupe or the window of a friends car I would grasp at the air yelling "GIMME!" like a kid reaching for a toy.

It was unobtainimum for me in real life, but I credit GT2 and the LanEvo VI for sparking my interest in cars.

Keith_Goodrich
Keith_Goodrich New Reader
4/21/10 4:56 p.m.

Class od '88

Wanted a GTA or a GNX.

Had a '67 Firebird and a '78 Buick SkyHawk in HS.

Currently drive a Grand Prix GTP. A little bit of all of the above in one.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/10 5:08 p.m.

class of '92. Firebird Formula or a lowered S-10 for new cars, Crew Cab Daully would have been cool too. Old cars? waaayyy to may to list. 1st car? 1985 Fiero 4-cyl w/ 125,000 miles and no options. At least it was a stick....

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
4/21/10 5:09 p.m.

I graduated in 2006... damn I'm young!

I've always lusted after a '69 Z/28, but hugger orange is SO played out, dover blue with white stripes is where its at! A family friend has one, and it even has the cross-ram intake (car had the build sheet/dealer invoice when the guy bought it and restored it, it came with the car "in the trunk").

69 RS/SS Z-28 Camaro Indy Pace Car Edition

I mean, I know you were having fun throwing everything you possibly could into that name, but the Z/28 was never an Indy pace car.

Of course, reality was this:

Could have done worse (MUCH worse). I even fixed the door panel/latch on the passenger side in time for grad for the girlfriend.

Will
Will HalfDork
4/21/10 5:27 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Class of '97, dream car was anything other than Dad's hand me down '81 Datsun 210 station wagon. I was pretty interested in early '60s Thunderbirds at the time, didn't know enough about them to want anything specific. Just liked how they looked.

I have a 62 T-Bird hardtop for sale. Want to make your dream come true?

ratghia
ratghia Reader
4/21/10 6:11 p.m.

I have always wanted to get a R32. I would also like to get an E30, but I can see myself owning one before I graduate so I guess it wouldn't be a high school dream car then.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/21/10 7:32 p.m.

one of those chevy's was for sale for the longest time in my town.. I just didn't have th $5k he wanted. It was midnight blue metallic with a white top and a beautiful oak bed. A 327 and a powerglide... Ohhh boy.

Claff
Claff New Reader
4/21/10 7:42 p.m.

Class of 1985

I couldn't decide if I was going to be a muscle car guy or a little sports car guy when I grew up. My future dream car bounced between a Lotus 7 and a '70 Chevelle SS (red with black stripes).

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
4/21/10 7:46 p.m.

Class of '75. There wasnt much fun to drive in that era. My cousin did come back from Vietnam with a 356 Speedster which really warped me. I spent most of my high school days driving various cars that I bought wrecked and rebuilt thru my Dad's State Farm connections(my favs were the '72 Nova SS and '71 Buick GS convertible) and my Mom's '73 Buick Rivera Boat-tail.

JtspellS
JtspellS New Reader
4/21/10 7:51 p.m.

Class of 2003, and i've at least owned an e36 (all be it a 323is) i still want each one very bad!!!!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/10 7:57 p.m.
ignorant wrote: one of those chevy's was for sale for the longest time in my town.. I just didn't have th $5k he wanted. It was midnight blue metallic with a white top and a beautiful oak bed. A 327 and a powerglide... Ohhh boy.

Wow, that's almost the exact truck that I drove in high school!

My father bought a blue '64 C10 Custom for $750 when I was a freshman. At first, I was embarrassed to be seen in it, but as time went by and my Mustang / Subaru / Plymouth wasn't running, the truck is what got me there and back. It almost killed me when one of the rear trailing arms broke in half at about 40 MPH.

I still miss shifting three-on-the-tree.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OKEjAjQrwIVU6B6sWmDXLEEfsenwZHNdesYTZMoeVHr79YkEXEP5NQb3N1QDbjit