rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
10/7/24 8:58 a.m.

From this thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/have-we-talked-about-the-junkyard-rm-southerbys-action/273879/page1/

I watched it the other day and it got me thinking.  What is the modern version of this?  Granted, it's kinda like predicting what cars will be valuable in the future. 
Several of those cars are one or two of a small run.  Other than sticker kits or special colors, I don't know of any car maker creating low number versions of a car.  Have we reached the point that cars are so commonplace today, we'll never see a time like the 50's-60's where manufacturers could take risks?  What cars will be revered in the future?  I think the expensive cars today will have some value, especially for certain models.  However, the 356 (as cool as they are) were kinda pedestrian for the age.  Lots of people had them and most were simple trims.  Would the modern equivalent be the Boxster, the Cayman or (shudder) the Macan? 

Imagine 60 years from now.  You find a junkyard with a bunch of cars and parts from 40-60 years prior that are worth something. What would be in it?

-Rob

johndej
johndej UltraDork
10/7/24 9:07 a.m.

For the high end stuff, look at like pagani and koenigsegg.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/7/24 9:12 a.m.

How about a bunch of ’80s and ’90s classics? CRX Si, Civic Si, AE86, IROC-Z, 5.0 Mustang, Buick GNX, etc. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/7/24 9:31 a.m.

Any sort of limited edition car comes to mind. Even though there's no additional performance over the more pedestrian model, the fact that there are fewer examples out there will make someone want it more.

Some examples off the top of my head:

• MX-5 100th Anniversary
  • GR Supra A91 Edition
  • Boxster RS 60 Spyder

I'd wager cars with rare configurations would prove popular too. I've come across plenty of classic cars for sale that are desirable simply because they are one of only a handful finished in a certain color and fitted with a certain engine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SZCfeABHzCttnBzQJIAIKno6PaP4K6EbegjQp9YuY58kn6iBY3TE05vzjkdNMwSx