1 2 3
RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/24/21 2:42 p.m.

I can't say this is any better than some other hot sauces but the name is fun so in the cart it goes...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/24/21 4:31 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

As some folks have said, it depends!

Crystal is my go-to for a favorite meal of ham, collard greens, and black eyed peas on rice. I could use Tabasco in a pinch, but it's just not quite right.

Tabasco or Crystal on good tinned tuna.

Chipotle Tabasco or Crystal on scrambled eggs.

Medium Herdez salsa casera I use tons of, though I don't think of it as a hot sauce, and will supplement with Tapatio and/or Pico Pica if I want more kick on Mexican food.

Pico Pica for those random times I want a no-vinegar addition. My wife doesn't like much spice and this is her favorite sauce, so we usually just have the "taco sauce" rather than the hot.

I'll have to look up the brand of the garlic chili and and sambal that I use for Chinese and Thai food. And sometimes Sriracha.

You know, I don't think I have ever thought about putting hot sauce on canned tuna. Hmmm....

Thanks for the tip. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/21 5:25 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens : 

That is a really cheap way to get calories that has some semblance of flavor.

I used to work with someone whose lunch for about ten years was a can of tuna, drained (water, not oil) with a tablespoon or so of Red Hot mixed in, spread over four bagel halves.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/24/21 5:50 p.m.

Gochujang, paste or sauce form. Not super hot but tons of flavor. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
12/24/21 5:57 p.m.

Wintzells oyster house in Mobile AL has a nice hot sauce.  Not very hot but it has a good flavor

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/24/21 8:53 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

That is a really cheap way to get calories that has some semblance of flavor.

I used to work with someone whose lunch for about ten years was a can of tuna, drained (water, not oil) with a tablespoon or so of Red Hot mixed in, spread over four bagel halves.

A can of tuna and an avocado is a suprisingly good for you and tasty easy lunch

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/21 10:32 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Avocado sounds even better; I used to just have a sauteed zucchini with my hot-sauced tuna and call it a meal. Protein, complex carbs, a few minerals... cheap, and tasty!

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/25/21 8:18 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

4 years on an aircraft carrier, before every cruise I would buy 2 boxes of Ritz crackers, 2 cans of spray cheese, and about half dozen cans of tuna.  Coming off watch if I saw the galley was making something terrible I would break out my stuff and fill up.  Pretty filling actually.

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/25/21 8:29 a.m.
Jerry said:

I'm a simple man with simple tastes.  I always have a bottle of regular Frank's Red Hot in the fridge.  Also recently I decided those frozen chicken tenders might make a good simple meal with hot wing sauce so I bought Frank's version.  I had left over chili one night last week and grabbed the wrong bottle.

Thinking I grabbed the regular hot sauce with the tiny opening but instead grabbed the wing sauce with very large opening, I flipped the bottle 180 degrees into the bowl and WOOSH almost emptied the damn thing.  I scooped some of the lake out with the spoon but left most of it.  I have to say the wing sauce was really good in the chili.

I get hot sauce for Christmas every year.

One year I got these teeny tiny jars of hot sauce, like Testors model paint sized jars.  They dutifully go in the back of the pantry with all the others, to be used when whim hits.

One night I am making macaroni and cheese, using shredded Swiss and sour cream this time, and I think let's kick this up a bit.  I open the pantry, see the little mini sauces, and figure why not?  I use a butterknife to scoop half the contents of one bottle out and dump it into the pot.  Gosh, it's awfully thick looking, almost gritty.

Those little bottles were hot sauce concentrate.  You're supposed to dilute them a lot with vinegar.  I'd just dumped the equivalent of 4 ounces of Flaming Sphincter or Napalm Attack or whatever cutesy name it had into a cup and a half (pre cooked) of macaroni and a handful of Swiss and a glob of sour cream.

It was good, but it wasn't the effect I was going for that night. Added a can of tuna and it was REAL good.

Brian(formerly neon4891)
Brian(formerly neon4891) MegaDork
12/25/21 10:01 a.m.

I go for chipotle flavor, Chalula is my favorite, and tobasco second. Thankfully the flavored tobascos aren't quite as hot as original. I'm also fond of Barbados sauce when I can find it. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/25/21 10:44 a.m.

Cholula Chipotle is a nice sauce for mild tacos. 

Sean from Hot Ones was interviewed by a super fan and was asked what his favorite hot sauce is. Sean said his favorite hot sauce is Queen Majesty Scotch Bonnet & Ginger. Can confirm it's SO GOOD. Not something that's good on everything, but I love it on fish, chicken, and Mediterranean food. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/25/21 1:12 p.m.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/25/21 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

"Oo! New flavor of Chambord? Can I try a sip?"

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
12/25/21 3:18 p.m.

Regular Valentina, green Chololua, Trader Joe's Japanese Yuzu hot sauce and Tabasco Scriracha sauce are ones in rotation in my fridge.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
12/25/21 3:31 p.m.

I like LD50 by Pepper Palace when I want to heat up a bowl of chili. Texas Pete is my go to for basic every day sauce. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/25/21 3:42 p.m.

Never tried but I got this today as a gift:

The four in the background are some that I made last batch. Thai pepper-Pineapple. It's good.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/25/21 4:49 p.m.

Someone in the family got this for the holiday. No idea how it tastes, but I like the presentation.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/25/21 5:07 p.m.
Duke said:

Someone in the family got this for the holiday. No idea how it tastes, but I like the presentation.

Nice!  That is marketing!

Of course, the bottle probably cost more to make than the sauce.

This Christmas I received Heinz hot & spicy ketchup.

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/25/21 5:20 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

Never tried but I got this today as a gift:

The four in the background are some that I made last batch. Thai pepper-Pineapple. It's good.

Hey, I have that stuff. 

I keep the Sriracha and the Texas Pete in a different cabinet smiley

The unlabeled Christmas ornament full of sauce is something cayenne based and otherwise flavorless.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mnjE30WsRAWMFYEEJcdaRvsmvBt8HDRdh33C56poJP2L2YQXZdbagXkuFUkG8sCu