1 2 3
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/12/13 8:10 a.m.

So I was behind a red S200 this morning. Man those things are pretty awesome. So the question is, at what point in your search for a second car to do weekends, the occasional DD and some autocross laps (a toy in other words) do you say no to a Miata and move to an S2000? What if you had enough to afford a really good Miata (maybe a Mazdaspeed or a supercharged 1st gen) or an OK S2000 (perhaps higher miles)?

I'm talking something like this:

or this:

versus this:

or this:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/12/13 8:27 a.m.

When you want a newer car and one that will need less work to go really fast. The S2k is faster from the factory and has a bit more potential, only downsides are that it's a bit bigger and heavier and MPG isn't as good (and of course it's more expensive).

Or if you're considering an NC - get an S2k instead.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
3/12/13 8:27 a.m.

When you're tall, or you want to put things in the trunk. I carried 4 wheels/ tires for my Civic with the S2000, without a trailer.

If you're looking, AP2 prices are getting lower, and the 06+ models have the ability to reflash the ECU. Earlier models take $$$ to tune.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/12/13 8:28 a.m.

S2000=Weaponized Miata.

IMHO, budget is the only real reason to go Miata over S2000. This is a general statement and does not cover every situation though.

(I drive a MIata)

GameboyRMH
3/12/13 8:35 a.m.
mtn wrote: IMHO, budget is the only real reason to go Miata over S2000. This is a general statement and does not cover every situation though.

I wouldn't say it's that simple. Let's say you're an oil sheikh who magically has good taste in cars and you can choose either one. The Miata's smaller, lighter, like me you might consider NAs to be a bit better looking, range might be better (MPG is better but that doesn't matter here). If you're not looking to push the limits of a Miata's performance potential there aren't many downsides - a little more "tin can" feeling, less space.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
3/12/13 8:49 a.m.

reasons not to buy an S2k: early models had issues with the rear suspension/diff iirc, that damn digital dash, and the aforementioned tuning is expensive on AP1s, plus you have to change a few things to get them to run right. here is the list from hondata.com:

The following items must be replaced before the S2000 K-Pro can be used. These parts are not supplied by Hondata and should be purchased from a Honda dealer. Crank sensor 37500-PZX-003 Crank wheel 13622-PCX-013 TDC sensor 37510-PZX-003 TDC wheel 14112-PCX-003 Valve cover 12310-PCX-020 Drain plug washer (for PCV valve) 94109-14000 PCV valve 17130-PCX-003 IAT sensor 37880-P05-A00 (not required, but stock IAT will read about 30 degrees hotter) The approximate cost of these parts is $300-375. Swapping the parts is relatively straight forward. Refer to the Helm manual for more information, but in brief you will need to: Remove the accessory belt. Remove the water pump pulley. Remove the crank pulley. Remove the front timing cover. Remove and replace the crank timing wheel. Remove and replace the crank sensor in the timing cover, and reinstall the timing cover. Remove old wiring to crank sensor. Install wiring harness from crank sensor to ECU. Reinstall water pump pulley and accessory belt. Remove the valve cover. Remove and replace the TDC sensor wheel (exhaust cam). Install the new TDC sensor and PCV valve in the new timing cover, and install the new valve cover. Remove S2000 ECU. Install the wiring harness through the firewall underneath the clutch master cylinder. If you have cut the wiring rubber boot, seal it with silicone sealer. Install the RSX ECU.

reasons to buy an s2k:

9k rpm!
VTEC, Yo!
tighter chassis
little classier looking car IMO
people won't think you're gay (not that there's anything wrong with that)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/13 9:09 a.m.

I would be driving around in an S2000 CR if the idiotic dealer it was for sale at hadn't been playing enough silly games to have me walk out the door and buy an NA Miata as a consolation price.

I think back when I was looking at them I mentioned on here that they felt to me like a Miata with all the knobs turned up to 11. I still want one.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/12/13 9:10 a.m.

My buddy's S2000 gets better gas mileage than my Mazdaspeed Miata, for what it's worth.

I don't think i'd ever choose a Miata over an S2000 for any reason other than budget.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/12/13 9:26 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote:

Wow, I never noticed how ugly that front end is. It looks like the car is trying to kiss something.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
3/12/13 9:27 a.m.

As a former (still slightly enamored) Miata owner, I'd still take an S2K

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/12/13 9:38 a.m.

The S2000 is a great car--- no argument here.

However if you bought a very clean NA or NB Miata, you'd save quite a bit of $$$. You could then contact our buddy Mr. Tanner (Flyin Miata) and create a car that is much more entertaining than a stock S2000 for a similar amount of $$$.

Stock for stock though, the S2000 is pretty darn nice, even if the interior is goofy.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/12/13 11:22 a.m.

I'm going to say the answer is "S2000" any time the answer is not already "Miata" or "Torque."

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/12/13 11:59 a.m.

When I can buy a decent S2k for 5-grand, it will become the answer.

I do not expect that to happen, however.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/13 12:25 p.m.

Personally, I don't find the S2K as entertaining as a street car. Quick on the track, though.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
3/12/13 12:53 p.m.

Checking out the pretty new Optima at the Kia dealer, the salesman asked me why I preferred RWD.

I told him that 'I hate not being able to kick the tail out on a car - it's just not fun if you can't drift it.'

He was like, 'Yeah, but how often do you get to drift your car?'

I answered softly '...every time I drive it?'

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
3/12/13 1:05 p.m.

The s2000 was the answer for me. It was my auto cross car replacement for my 240sx. I was looking at Miatas primarily but was sold on the car after I got to codrive one at an event. To me the s2k was more exciting and required more skill to lay down a fast time. Cars that are easy to drive get kinda boring after a few events, so I welcomed the challenge of the car. The 00-03 models are VERY tail happy, due to the toe curve in the rear, but that was corrected in the 04 and up models. I've driven one of those as well and it was well behaved compared to my ap1, just not as exciting without it trying to kick the tail out.

Plus I wanted a car that didn't require a ton of mods to be a competitive car in both raw and pax times and this car fit the bill nicely. With a nearly stock engine (just an intake that came on the car), shocks, FSB and wheels/tires I set 2 FFTDs and was usually in the top 10 raw times. With results like that I've been incredibly happy with the purchase.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/12/13 1:05 p.m.
sobe_death wrote: When you're tall, or you want to put things in the trunk. I carried 4 wheels/ tires for my Civic with the S2000, without a trailer.

Really? Do these things actually have a somewhat usable trunk? That makes my next car hunting far more interesting.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
3/12/13 1:08 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
sobe_death wrote: When you're tall, or you want to put things in the trunk. I carried 4 wheels/ tires for my Civic with the S2000, without a trailer.
Really? Do these things actually have a somewhat usable trunk? That makes my next car hunting far more interesting.

It's pretty decent. The spare tire is behind the passenger seat, so the truck has a big well where normally a spare tire would be.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/12/13 1:10 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:

I know that I could fit my hockey bag in a S2000 without rearranging everything in it, and not forcing the trunk lid shut; whereas in the MIata (NB) I either need to pack it extremely carefully and force the lid shut, or not wear shoulder pads. Or bring the helmet or pants or shoulder pads into the cab.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
3/12/13 1:20 p.m.

This thread makes me wish I had saved longer and found a deal on an S2000 vs. my Mustang. Frowny face.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
3/12/13 1:24 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Checking out the pretty new Optima at the Kia dealer, the salesman asked me why I preferred RWD. I told him that 'I hate not being able to kick the tail out on a car - it's just not fun if you can't drift it.' He was like, 'Yeah, but how often do you get to drift your car?' I answered softly '...every time I drive it?'

That sounds eerily similar to many conversations I've had about my Mustang....

"How often do you rotate the tires?"

"Every time I hit second gear."

scardeal
scardeal Dork
3/12/13 1:26 p.m.

How does an S2000 compare to an RX-8?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/12/13 1:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Personally, I don't find the S2K as entertaining as a street car. Quick on the track, though.

What is lacking for street entertainment on the S2000? To me, roadster = fun for cruising. Doubly so when it does so reliably and affordably.

GameboyRMH
3/12/13 1:38 p.m.
scardeal wrote: How does an S2000 compare to an RX-8?

Performance-wise they're actually very close, but the S2k is a little better all-around.

Not performance-wise they're very different...4 seats vs 2, 4 doors vs. 2, 200-400lbs weight difference depending on model, reliable & fairly economical engine vs. rotary

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/12/13 1:44 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Personally, I don't find the S2K as entertaining as a street car. Quick on the track, though.
What is lacking for street entertainment on the S2000? To me, roadster = fun for cruising. Doubly so when it does so reliably and affordably.

It feels like a real car, and not a toy. To some people, that's not as fun.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7bxTTRyNE26LKq9fjlMW8BvANYcX4X1yokOsUi57H1YCEVcREC9siFSSfgovHtgm