1 2
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
12/18/14 6:39 a.m.

We got my niece a reg cab pickup for these exact same reasons. Its even a three on the tree so pretty much no one under the age of 30 but her can drive it.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/18/14 6:52 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: My daughter turns 16 in 2015, and my plan is to get her a "starter car" for her birthday. Something that she will drive for a year, have a few scrapes in, and then trade up to something newer/nicer. I would like small, safe, reliable, 2-door if possible (fewer kids in the car means fewer distractions) but kinda cute and with an automatic preferred. Cars like the Tercel, Paseo, Echo and Corolla immediately come to mind. Clean it up, tune it up, put on some snazzy wheels and voila. I am OK with some minor work, but have no desire for heavy body work or chasing electrical gremlins. Any other suggestions?

When in the same position, I bought DD#2 a 1997 Celica ST with an automatic. I underpaid a bit at $800 (145k on it) but it should be not hard to source a similar car for under $1200. Built when Toyotas really were unkillable, drives and looks decently sporty with some updated wheels, and the small back seat discourages shenanigans.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
12/18/14 8:29 a.m.

What about the Del Sol, or Del Slow as my friend called their automatic version. 2 seats, stylish, removable top, and Honda reliability.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/18/14 9:12 a.m.

Never?

trucke
trucke HalfDork
12/18/14 10:45 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Never?

Hey now!

carbon
carbon Dork
12/20/14 1:16 p.m.

When "what's a unique car that is massively under rated" is the question.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/20/14 1:35 p.m.

Corolla is a great option. Only downside is that along with the Civic, they cost a lot more than other comparable E36 M3boxes. And both have rear fender lip rust issues.

+1 to the Saturn plastic panels being handy here. They really do shrug off a lot of dings. Look at the body of the next one you see in a parking lot and compare it to the average car that age.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
12/20/14 1:42 p.m.
carbon wrote: When "what's a unique car that is massively under rated" is the question.

As sweet as all these... and many other rwd Corollas are....

cough-cough mine

they DON'T hold up well if in an accident...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
12/20/14 3:21 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy: My first car, back in '86 I bought a 1980 SR-5 for $2000. If I could find one without all the rust I'd like it as a daily.

And yeah, not exceptionally sturdy in an accident.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
12/20/14 9:36 p.m.

If you are looking for the Corolla than what you want to buy is a Prizm. Same car, 40% lower price.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
12/20/14 11:29 p.m.

Subaru maybe? Every ford focus I see in the junkyard that has been in an accident has the drivers airbag soaked in blood, although idk why that's always the case with those and not most others.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
12/23/14 11:58 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: For stricly two people. - Smart for two - Short cab compact pickup - MR2/S - Miata Corollas are excellent transport though.

Should have included a few more options.

• Mitsubishi Eclipse
  • Nissan 350Z
  • Chrysler Crossfire
ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/23/14 4:30 p.m.

We bought our 18 year old son a 2004 Forester X 5speed.... because when we went shopping for a Corolla/Civic etc. he decided he wanted the Forester.

The added bonus is insurance is cheaper for the Forester than the other choices because the safety ratings and being less popular/common.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/23/14 7:01 p.m.

Another Saturn vote. Cheap to fix and good on gas.

2 seater (Miata) prevents the too many people/distraction thing.

The more she likes the car, the better care she'll take of it. (in theroy)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/14 8:33 p.m.

Great advice guys. She will have a lot of say in car #2, but the is a surprise to reveal on sweet 16. It will be what she learns on and takes her test on. Her cousin had a New Beetle, which she really liked, and her friend has a red Miata that she likes. I am OK with her getting a Miata, as long as it is supercharged and has a roll bar.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/24/14 12:07 a.m.

Get her a 2003 or later Forester. Good crash rating, good resale, etc.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
12/24/14 1:24 p.m.

New beetles aren't horrible if you get a diesel manual one, never use anything but OEM or equivalent quality parts, and know it needs a full suspension rebuild and timing belt (which requires a few hundred dollars in special tools) at minimum as soon as you get it.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/24/14 2:52 p.m.

You know honestly, You can find cheaper Camry's than corolla's at least around here. Early 2000 camry is $3000-4000 for a good example. The corolla is $4-5000.

Either way both are great starts along with an accord coupe. You can also find the 2007-2008 elantras for not that much either and those work well.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
12/25/14 4:34 a.m.

How old of a car are we talking about here? Seems the suggestions are all over the map.

I'll be a partially dissenting opinion here. I've dealt with repairing an endless number of these and have developed the opinion they are utter garbage:

The bodies crumple up like they are made of foil. The silly 'S' package spoilers and spats cost a fortune to replace. They are absolutely zero fun to drive. The only upside is they will run forever with minimal regard. Ditto the Scion xB.

I'm currently driving a 211,000 mile Focus with the dohc Zetec in it. You can pick them up all day long for nearly half the price of a Corolla and have a car just as safe (or safer), cheap to fix and arguably more fun to drive. The price premium for the Toyota logo on their low-end cars simply isn't worth it IMO. They are built to a price just like a Home Depot riding mower to be competitive. There are simply too many other alternatives that cost less. The exception may be the Honda Civic; though you pay for the name I feel it's a vastly superior car to the Corolla.

If it's my daughter and her first car I'd want strength to be a factor more important than perceived reliability. I'd stick her in a Ford Taurus or a Volvo 240 over any flimsy econobox.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3fK8WIhm7lE93XAU30s3kY5PMxX3J8PkwQc9HkxCJ7H72IwCYSUc62JbOeEjKBut