1 2
pheller
pheller UltimaDork
10/4/19 12:14 p.m.

Our new house, despite considerable added storage, is losing a room - our current house has a bonus room (no door or closet) that we've used as office. 

The new house has larger closets, a larger laundry space, etc, but my wife works from home and liked having a dedicated office space. 

We're thinking of converting the laundry into an office and moving the washer/dryer into the garage, but I thought I'd ask the hive: 

Where do you keep your desktop computer? 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/4/19 12:19 p.m.

Kept my very first one right on the dining room table. Eventually we got a chunk of free countertop, and just put it on the opposite side of the room. I've kept vertical towers on shelving just nearish wherever I needed it. 

What I'm getting ready to do, and why I'm posting as I'm interested in more of it, is to setup the desktop off by itself out of the way entirely, but connected to the network, and just use it through remote desktop from other systems around the house. 

That could be a good option unless you need physical access to the ports on it. 

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson Reader
10/4/19 12:22 p.m.
pheller said:

We're thinking of converting the laundry into an office and moving the washer/dryer into the garage, but I thought I'd ask the hive: 

Friends of ours bought a 2 story house and they made the laundry room into the office.  They moved the laundry to the master bedroom closet, which is over the garage.  Had to cut a hole in the ceiling of garage/floor of closet to raise the washer and dryer up there.  Works for them.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
10/4/19 12:27 p.m.

By my desk in my office.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
10/4/19 12:27 p.m.

Wait so they made a special washer/dryer elevator? 

I would not have it that difficult. I'd basically just roll the washer/dryer across the house to the garage. Perks of single floor living.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/19 12:28 p.m.

On a desk in the bedroom, but it's a dedicated gaming PC, I don't do any work on it other than adding data overlays to videos and generating offline tile maps, which require Windows software.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/4/19 12:39 p.m.

I put a little desk in front of the toilet so I can always been using good hardware to post dumb replies on the GRM Forum!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/4/19 12:40 p.m.

We have 2 computer stations on a long desk in our study / den / craft storage room.  It's got pass-throughs to the kitchen and opens onto the main corridor of the house.

I guess this would have been the actual living room if we were one of those families that has a model living room no one ever uses plus a room they actually live in, but we're not.  We use the living room as a living room so having a spare would be silly.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork

At various times, my computers have been:

on a table next to the TV

on the TV stand next to the TV

on a different table next to the TV

on a desk in the bedroom

on a table next to the bed

Most of these were dictated by how close I needed to be to the TV so that I could play my racing sims on the big screen. laugh

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader

Is the garage heated? Flagstaff gets cold (as you know) and washing machines don’t like cold. If so, I’d put them there, if not, can you convert a closet to a laundry space?

Since she’s working from home, I’d think a dedicated office type area is essential. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/4/19 12:45 p.m.

Also I would totally put the washer & drier in the garage if it doesn't hamper your work/parking space situation too much.  

What about "oriental partitions" or whatever to make her space a quasi-seperate work area in a room like the living room?  Or is that too silly?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/4/19 12:46 p.m.

I keep mine on top of my desk.  Weird, huh?

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
10/4/19 12:50 p.m.

With a wireless keyboard and trackball, my TV and computer are connected and it sits on the TV stand.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
10/4/19 1:04 p.m.

Steve, that's a good point. The garage isn't heated, but it is insulated and conditioned being part of the house, and it already has water flowing to it that doesn't seem to have any issues. The plan would be to insulate or use heated pipe wrap, along with having the washer/dryer setup on the wall closet the heated spaces (not an outside wall). 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
10/4/19 1:05 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

I keep mine on top of my desk.  Weird, huh?

Where is your desk? 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/4/19 1:05 p.m.

My desk in the finished room over the 2-car attached garage is an old steel monster from the 1950's that has a woodgrain formica-covered wooden cap that measures about 60" x 36".  I will not put up with a too-small desk!  My desktop computer rests on top, along with a scanner, a printer, keyboard, monitor, mouse and a crap-ton of E36 M3 that shouldn't be on it.

Son #1 keeps his on the floor next to his desk, as does Son #2. 

The HTPC sits under the TV in a solid oak stand that was hand-crafted by a friend of mine.

The other two desktop cases, which my kids operate as servers, sit on the floor up here to my left. 

So, not bragging or anything, but there are (at least) six (6) desktop systems in this house at this time.

Again, not bragging, but I built them all myself.  Well, my brother actually gifted me all the parts for mine, but I helped! laugh

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/4/19 1:19 p.m.

Next to my desk in my second bedroom/library/guitar room. Granted, I mainly use a laptop that I usually use in my living room and my desktop hasn't been powered up in a few years.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/19 1:20 p.m.

I have a desktop server as well....actually 2 desktop servers and a laptop server and a VPS in various places in the world, but I don't count those as desktops since I don't use them as such cheeky Used to also have a dedicated desktop HTPC but it failed and was replaced with an Android TV box. Does everything the old one was used for except that one time we used it for LAN gaming.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/19 1:28 p.m.

I have an HP Touchsmart in the garage that I use for watching streaming media along with a "server rack" of PC's that I use for playing around with computer stuff and maybe one day build a gaming system.

My main system (aside from the laptops and tablets we have floating around) is in the shared office/craft room space that my Wife and I share.

Our laundry room is upstairs in one end of the bathrooms.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/4/19 5:49 p.m.

In a room I built on the back of the house over my garage for my ailing,aged sister.

Later I converted it into my office.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/4/19 6:37 p.m.

My desktop iMac lives on my desk in my office.  The other iMac that's for general family use is on a smaller desk in the family room next to the TV.  It's mainly used by my son to play Minecraft (both my wife and my daughter have laptops).  The rack mount server is mounted in the rack in the garage. :)

When I was a college student (or recently graduated and still living with housemates) my desktop computer(s) were in my bedroom.

So I think the right answer depends on who you live with, who is expected to use the machine, what they're going to do with it, and what sort of privacy they're expecting to get while using it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/4/19 6:40 p.m.

Laptop with a pullout table next to the couch. Desktop would live under my art desk. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/4/19 8:23 p.m.

We use a spare bedroom as an office, has 2 desktops in it but my wife spends most of her time on a laptop in the living room.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/5/19 8:50 a.m.

Legit surprised any one even uses a desktop any more unless you need the computing power for gaming, CAD, or rendering.  I got rid of my last desktop a while ago and replaced it with a Thinkpad (which is still i7, SSD, 16GB RAM, dedicated video card, full keyboard) and a dock for when I want a full size computer experience, and keep everything on a little NAS that doubles as my KODI server.

I do have a desktop at work but it is a special built CAD machine by BOXX and costs as much as a lightly used Civic.  Wouldnt have it if I didn't need it.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/5/19 11:18 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Legit surprised any one even uses a desktop any more unless you need the computing power for gaming, CAD, or rendering.  I got rid of my last desktop a while ago and replaced it with a Thinkpad (which is still i7, SSD, 16GB RAM, dedicated video card, full keyboard) and a dock for when I want a full size computer experience, and keep everything on a little NAS that doubles as my KODI server.

If all you're doing is basic web browsing and email then laptops are fine, but you won't get 8T of disk into one.  They're also much less fragile than laptops, which is good if you've got kids who are going to be using them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ycdQa4OR3CtjyOLx41e7j2PLwIUvXC8OvB17uk1w03BNziKadpjyfFH3ICrbAiHu