1 2
spriteracer
spriteracer New Reader
7/3/10 6:26 p.m.

The last time I went to the grocery store, I tore my ACL. Put me down as a grocery store hater. I slipped on the painted arrow in the parking lot after a rainstorm. I blew out my flip-flop and my knee. But I did save the beer and the chicken wings.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/3/10 6:26 p.m.

I've kicked carts. Yes. One can only be so polite after getting a repeated heal job from a cell phone yakking, 4 ft tall, 4 ft. wide Klondike bar with legs. The look of utter shock and anger only amused me more. 1 o'clock shopping rules.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/10 10:29 p.m.

Meh, they're just doing it to berkeley with you.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
7/3/10 10:36 p.m.

Pick the right store. The grocery business is pretty cutthroat, so at most you are going to pay a few percentage points more to shop at the "highpriced" store with aisles wide enough to pass, and fewer tubbos parking in the middle of the aisle to talk with their friend about Jerry Springer. In my town, the Safeway near the seniors highrises is much more user friendly than the Superstores. Just have to avoid seniors day, and double coupon day at the Safeway.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/3/10 10:39 p.m.

Grocery shopping is okay, not my favorite thing to do but not the worst either, cleaning toilets is the worst. I HATE that friggin' chore.

But there are some really whack people wandering around the grocery store at any given time. Several years back: was perusing some crap or other, this woman hits my cart with hers and says 'Sorry'. I say 'that's okay'. She then ROARS 'I SAID I WAS SORRY!' This scares the schitt out of me and the other four or five people in the aisle, the only thing I could think of was to say again 'that's okay'. She says 'Okay' with a huge grin and walks away. Dayumn.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/3/10 10:49 p.m.

Yes I hate grocery stores. The inconsiderate crowds and excessive selections are a good reason but I have even more of a reason. I was almost arrested at one.
I was on retirement leave from the army and was doing the house-husband thing while I went to college and the wife worked. Went to the commissary to do some shopping while the kids were at the pool. Pulled into the parking lot, drove down the back row and pulled into a parking space. Was rolling up the windows in my K5 Blazer (didn't have AC and it was July) on the passenger side when this lady comes up and cursed me out for taking her space then walked away, got in her truck and pulled out. I didn't even have a chance to grunt but would have moved my truck down a few spaces to another empty spot if she asked. I honestly didn't see her waiting for the spot and I always parked in the back, there's always a spot, less likely to get door dings and I don't mind the walk. Thought it was over, went inside and did my shopping and had several old ladies cut in line ahead of me, finally got out of there. Walked up to my truck and there waiting for me was the lady that cursed me out, her wimpy husband, 2 MP's and 2 Courtesy Patrol. They explained to me that she called them and said I cursed her out and could be brought up on charges. I explained my side and told them I'd apologize for taking her spot as I honestly never saw her waiting for it but won't apologize for something I didn't say. They talked with her and let me apologize then she dug into me again. I looked at her husband, shook my head and walked away. The Courtesy Patrol SGT came up to me and said we believe you now just get in your truck and go home.
Ever since then I dislike going to the commissary. This small post I work at now isn't really so bad as long as you stay away at the end of the month, military and retiree payday. Never got used to being a house husband and got a full time job at another post the next state down and went to college at night to get my paper.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/4/10 12:41 a.m.

I like grocery shopping. Probably more than anyone should. I have a few strange ocds about lists and orders and the grocery store is one place they can all come out. I also like to people watch and you get a pretty big cross section there. It probably doesn't help that I pretty much grew up in supermarkets as a kid.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
7/4/10 12:47 a.m.

I shop at an independant market and my biggest problem is I end up talking to the staff and spend more time than I should. I hate commercial grocery stores, they are only for beer and stuff that is cheaper like butter. For veggies and meat I won't got to a commercial grocery because they have very lousy service and food. If you don't like going shopping I would suggest shopping around for a store where you feel more comfortable.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
7/4/10 1:50 a.m.

I find that bumping those that bump me back solves that problem fairly quickly. I shop at a variety of stores and farmers markets (in season). I've started to buy my meat direct from the farmers when possible. When we head to the country, we'll start growing some of our own meat and veggies.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/4/10 7:26 a.m.

Poopshovel, I see your main focus not as much that you hate shopping, but that the itch to start your own business is at high tide. As a guy who delivered groceries as a kid on a Schwinn, I can identify. Your observation that earlier efforts bit off more than they could chew is right on track.

First thing would be to draw up a rough business plan. I say rough because you'll never know the true overhead until you are about 90 days in. You're gonna need insurance (commercial), business permits, advertising, connections with grocers, and capital. Maybe later an accountant. You already know most of this. The hard part will likely be the capital; I doubt many grocery chains will put you on open account, so you'll have to have the bucks at hand.

As evidenced by the responses to this thread, you see that not everybody hates grocery shopping; some of us even enjoy it. I know I do, but then, I have a zen thing going on about it, so it's cool. Your demographic will be the wealthy that have frantic schedules, and find it hard to go from store to store finding their favorite choices. These people tend to demand superb service and friendly faces, and despite their bank accounts, are sometimes very poor tippers..

You would certainly want to get started in more well-to-do sections of town anyway, since po' folk always shop strickly for price, and aren't gonna pay someone to go get what they can manage themselves.

Door to door sales pitches aren't seen much any more, but if you find a "target rich" area, you might try flyers in mailboxes and stuff such as that. Like you said, trying to be too big too soon is a recipe for failure, so you could start off with just one vehicle and basically hustle your butt off, just to see if the mine will yeild ore.

If you strike gold, then, and only then, should you invest in your own storage (quantity discounts), and multiple vehicles with employees. I don't know how big you want to get, but once you get past 3 employees in my state, you are obliged to purchase worker's comp, and things get more complicated from there. But if the money's good, and you can find reliable help, you could be sitting pretty.

One more thing: be aware of "mission creep". You might start off as a delivery company, but it's not a stone's throw from that to being a grocer yourself, and then a recipe consultant, caterer, resturanteur, etc. Choose your battles wisely, and don't wade into a business you know little or nothing about. I did that once, and just about lost my ass. I waited until I was intrenched in another field before starting another business, and it turned out quite well. Work to your strengths. If you really dislike grocery shopping, ask yourself: Do I want to do it every day?

Good luck with whatever you decide!

cwh
cwh SuperDork
7/4/10 11:35 a.m.

I don't dislike food shopping, in facy it's usually fun. We shop at a "Fancy" Publix, with covered indoor parking, or Penn Dutch. That one is ALWAYS crowded, you will hear at least 5 different languages, but selection is very good and prices low as well. Complete filet mignon, 5.99/#, cut as you want, just bought 10 lobster tails for 29.00. I always say "Is that all it is?" at the check out. It's amusing to watch Bahamians do their food shopping. 250.00 orders, bring their own huge coolers for the ship ride home.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
7/4/10 7:32 p.m.

I like AND hate grocery shopping....depending on how crowded the store is. Also, there is a large chain of grocery stores in my area....KROGER, that are designed to FORCE you to "tour" the whole store, even if you want just 1 item. (I understand some Wal-Mart grocery stores were/are designed the same way.) I REALLY hate stores like that.

Being retired military, I do most of my food shopping at the commissary. Early in the morning it's always pretty decent, but like any other grocery store, it's awful on saturday after 10 am. They manage to have a fairly decent selection of goods and brands, considering the small size of the base it "sits on". Yet, every now and then I want to strangle the folks who insist on ordering food that isn't what the "average" shopper would look for.

When I visit Fl. I also shop at Publix, they are a fairly decent store chain. The folks are friendly, knowledgeable, and like that movie "Miracle on 42nd Street", if they don't carry something, they will gladly point you to a store that does.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
7/4/10 8:28 p.m.

Being an attorney and school teacher in small town, my wife and I both hate to go grocery shopping just because we cant ever make it through the store without having to have a "business" conversation. We go to stores in the next county and at strange times to avoid those interruptions.
IMO Publix is one of the greatest chains ever. They are slowly moving into Tn and we make a monthly trip with coolers to restock on some of our favorite items. Much better than the beans and potatoes stores that exist here.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
7/4/10 9:41 p.m.

When I was single, I was an ambush shopper. I'd go into the grocery store, grab what I needed that I could fit in both arms and get out.

Now that I have a girlfriend and a baby, it's different. We go to different stores and take our time shopping. I almost enjoy it....almost.

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
7/4/10 10:35 p.m.

I only hate grocery shopping on wednesday's as its old people's day, they get and additional 10% off their entire bill. And they move around the store really really really slooooooooooowly it drives me insane, even if I get there when the store opens, they're in the isle standing 3 feet away from their cart blocking the entire way by, and i try to say excuse me and i get dirty looks and told to go around. I just try to friendly reply fuc# off, they tend to leave me alone from then on...

Andrew

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2uAZsQO3fuFLcTBBqvnJInRhae7G6tYdmkid8r9ElBNDqU8RArCZBjB3PP9YyIRe