1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/21 5:13 p.m.

I was a fan of Kikkoman until my wife introduced me to this stuff.  I think the Philippine Versions are a little more concentrated and a little thicker consistency. Japanese variations are lighter and more watery. We have both pulse a couple others in the kitchen. We had one brand that was about the consistency of latex paint that was exclusively used for seasoning of things as they cook. You would not want to use it as a condiment.  It is excellent to add to a Panang sauce. Turns a Panang sauce from good to out of this world good. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/21 5:20 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I just ordered a bottle of that. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/17/21 6:38 p.m.

No Canadian love for China Lilly?

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
4/17/21 8:47 p.m.
jb229 said:

In reply to Advan046 :

Hah, I was wondering if Pearl River Bridge was more of a generic one or actually a known brand, I use the light from them from the local asian foods store and another brand for dark soy which has no english labeling except that it's dark soy.  Going to different varieties really upped my marinade game.

It is the real deal stuff. For a couple years they had a counterfeit problem and even their hologram labels were copied so they had a tutorial of how to spot the real holograms from the fakes. 

It isn't even that expensive a product. Lee Kum Kee has had similar counterfeit issues. 

jb229
jb229 New Reader
4/18/21 4:07 a.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

Come to think of it, I mixed them up.  The dark is Pearl River Bridge, the light is from the HaiTian brand who have this deeply amusing website where you can book a trip to the factory to attend a showing of a 3d movie about how they make soy sauce: https://www.haitian-food.com/

I assume this is for school classrooms, of course.  Warning for auto-play sound.

szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter)
szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/19/21 10:14 a.m.

Pearl River Bridge was what my family used growing up, and I still use today (at least for dark soy sauce). Light soy sauce I get Lee Kum Kee at least partially because it's available at my Costco in bulk quantities.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AIxtXWvomjl86oNgQieQlic0QLzueKRPmH9oduvyqZuhcGV8JXGLHyveEjAqptX6