Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
1/2/21 6:10 p.m.

My 70 year-old parents drive a 2013 Lexus Ls460 and they’re getting flogged by the dealer on repair work bills. Latest was $799 for one seeping shock.

Who would you recommend as an alternative for Lexus repairs?  They’re in se Wake county.  I know Google reviews but who have you used/heard good about?  Thanks

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
1/2/21 6:17 p.m.

RDU? wheres dat????

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/2/21 6:25 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

Raleigh, NC?

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
1/2/21 6:26 p.m.

Get a cheaper car.  Rouges(sp) are on sale.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/2/21 6:30 p.m.

Chevrolet dealer flogs me - it's how they roll.

https://www.creechimport.com/

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
1/2/21 6:34 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Chevrolet dealer flogs me - it's how they roll.

https://www.creechimport.com/

My best childhood friend is a Creech. Thanks!

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/2/21 8:11 p.m.

toyz-unlimited (Liberty NC)

Heard great things but depending on your orientation in RDU it might not be convenient.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
1/2/21 9:07 p.m.
LopRacer said:

Heard great things but depending on your orientation in RDU it might not be convenient.

Thanks! I'll pass this one on too.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/2/21 9:32 p.m.
LopRacer said:

Holy E36 M3 that's the worst website I've ever seen.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
1/2/21 9:49 p.m.

Ditch the damn Lexus and get a new Kia or Hyundai. Do they want reliable transportation with reasonably priced maintenance, or "prestige" with costly maintenance.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/2/21 10:18 p.m.

Yes, let's keep recommending cars to replace one of the most reliable vehicles ever. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/2/21 10:31 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

Do they have they air suspension?   Just because its easy, I went to rock auto and one aftermarket air strut is $389 there before shipping. 

Nice car. Its no econo box. It probably rarely breaks, but when it does, its will cost some money.  As a car its probably costs 3 times what a Ford Fusion costs yet big surprise that the parts are 3 times more too?

Keep the Lexus

ScottyB
ScottyB HalfDork
1/2/21 10:34 p.m.

Janko Import Cars in Wake Forest is worth a call.  they specialize in German imports but from what i've seen, they can work on anything, and they're solid motorsports people.  

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
1/3/21 8:24 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Crxpilot :

Do they have they air suspension?   Just because its easy, I went to rock auto and one aftermarket air strut is $389 there before shipping. 

Nice car. Its no econo box. It probably rarely breaks, but when it does, its will cost some money.  As a car its probably costs 3 times what a Ford Fusion costs yet big surprise that the parts are 3 times more too?

Keep the Lexus

I think they’re being charged air suspension prices without having the air suspension. Mom likes the free coffee she gets in the waiting room though.

They will keep it because they’ve had great experiences with their LS400 and 430.  The 460 has generated the most service by a lot. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
1/3/21 8:25 a.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

I will pass this one on too. Thanks

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/3/21 1:51 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

Yes, let's keep recommending cars to replace one of the most reliable vehicles ever. 

And one paid for. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/3/21 3:20 p.m.

Not the car, it's the stealership; the alternative I would recommend is a local shop.  Cheaper if the work is required.  (I had two struts replaced for $450.).  

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/3/21 3:24 p.m.

I recommend these guys. I used to do business with the owner John. I never took a car here but I know he is a good person and the shop has a good rep. 

https://www.westgerman.com/

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/3/21 3:26 p.m.

I also used to hang out with these guys when it was a Sy / Ty social club. I know they specialize in Subaru's now but also good humans and smart people. 

http://turbotime.us/

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
1/3/21 5:01 p.m.
New York Nick said:

I recommend these guys. I used to do business with the owner John. I never took a car here but I know he is a good person and the shop has a good rep. 

https://www.westgerman.com/

I've never done business with westgerman & I live a bit east of RDU but they have a good reputation.  IIRC my son has been satisfied with them.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/21 6:22 p.m.

I always love this place and the shiny happy motherberkeleyers who want to talk trash about dealerships.

OP asks for recommendations about an alternative.

But with Experience writing service at a independent shop that cost what a dealer did and we warrantied our work as such.

Expensive cars are expensive to work on regardless of where you take them. Lets just be fully clear about that upfront.

the LEXUS OEM standard rear shock MSRP is $290. the Air shocks retail for over $1500.

So no... they definitely didn't get charged for an air shock replacement.

https://parts.lexus.com/a/Lexus_2013_LS-460/_65511_6728965/REAR-SPRING--SHOCK-ABSORBER/431450-4804.html

We don't know what work was done, nobody is looking at an itemized bill here on the forum.

Looking at the parts in the rear corners, you can see eccentrics are there. Which are probably loosened to R&R the shock. So once it's back together the car will need an alignment.

My bet, the bill breaks down as such.

R&R Shock -$600 with parts and labor

Alignment-$100-125

Taxes, fees and shop supplies could easily get that up to $800

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
1/3/21 7:14 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

I always love this place and the shiny happy motherberkeleyers who want to talk trash about dealerships.

OP asks for recommendations about an alternative.

But with Experience writing service at a independent shop that cost what a dealer did and we warrantied our work as such.

Expensive cars are expensive to work on regardless of where you take them. Lets just be fully clear about that upfront.

the LEXUS OEM standard rear shock MSRP is $290. the Air shocks retail for over $1500.

So no... they definitely didn't get charged for an air shock replacement.

https://parts.lexus.com/a/Lexus_2013_LS-460/_65511_6728965/REAR-SPRING--SHOCK-ABSORBER/431450-4804.html

We don't know what work was done, nobody is looking at an itemized bill here on the forum.

Looking at the parts in the rear corners, you can see eccentrics are there. Which are probably loosened to R&R the shock. So once it's back together the car will need an alignment.

My bet, the bill breaks down as such.

R&R Shock -$600 with parts and labor

Alignment-$100-125

Taxes, fees and shop supplies could easily get that up to $800

All true and I upvoted your answer.  But yes, I'm seeking alternatives to dealer msrp and oem parts for my mom specifically.  In this instance, and because it's not the air suspension, she really didn't need the full boat dealer experience.  Lots of excellent shops can get the appropriate "off the shelf" shock that would serve her until she sells the car. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/21 11:00 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

oh i get trying to save a few bucks. My parents love their 2010 RX450H they got in 2019. but they know every dealer visit is going to cost a few bucks. But they are treated like gold every time they walk through the door.. and they have only had to go there for a navigation update and a Hybrid trans flush so far..

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/4/21 8:09 a.m.

If they're near Apex, Apex Auto Works is pretty good. I've been taking my cars to them for at least ten years. 

West German Garage in Raleigh has been around since the '70s. They've always had a good rep. 

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/21 10:24 a.m.

Turbo Time moved to Sanford. 

I know the Janko guys, they honest.

Creech has a good reputation.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eoZMdLDlPmizBVV52ERkxqqBZ3mTsQ1rR6lYraSjM3sptPVtaiadEQZu9WeqBfoo