1 2 3
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 3:23 p.m.

This one is for a house, not a car. 

I have an art degree, but honestly I'm not that great with colors. I could use some help.

I'm building an addition on my house, and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to follow through with what we started.

Here's the front elevation, but it's tricky. It looks like the whole facade is in one plane, but the front door is actually recessed a lot. 

Here's a pic of the actual building. The front porch roof isn't built yet.  We'll have to ignore the scaffolding and the old porch (which is still there):

We are going for a industrial/ modern vibe.  The majority of the house will be a very dark green, with a black roof and wood porch ceiling.  Like this:

My problem is that I don't want it to be just a big dark blob, and I don't want the front door (under the porch roof) to look like the  a black hole or dark cave.  I feel like we need to break it up a little with a lighter green or other color.

If I was brave, I'd paint the whole darned thing dark green and be done. I'm not that brave...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 3:24 p.m.

Specifically, the green is a Sherwin Williams color called Jasper.  SW6216. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 3:25 p.m.

I want to get the painting done before we take down that scaffolding, so it's time to commit.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 3:27 p.m.

A couple more angles:

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 3:29 p.m.

Interestingly, the original structure was a small general store/ bait shop. Under the vinyl siding is concrete block- we will be exposing it again (and painting it)

Id kinda like to pay homage to the original building- perhaps a different color on the block. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/24 4:32 p.m.

That garage looks cool, but are you really committed to that dark green as a main color? It could be tricky to avoid making the house look like a dark blob while making a scheme with a lighter color plus the concrete base, at least without getting wild with the colors and making it look like an Aston Martin race car. Also I'm assuming the house will have black roof edging but a white/silver roof like the garage?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 5:02 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

The garage doesn't have a silver roof. It's all black. 

Yep. Committed to the large majority in the dark green. I've already been through 1 divorce...

lownslow
lownslow GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/24 5:09 p.m.

Dark color will make your house look smaller, and may make harder to cool in the summer. 

The dark roof will have the same effect. 

Can you put a skylight over your entry way to lighten the front door? 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 5:11 p.m.

In reply to lownslow :

Skylight is an interesting idea.  Don't tell my partner! 😂

GameboyRMH
7/23/24 5:16 p.m.

One option might be to go with an exposed wood finish or a color that looks like it on the patio and maybe also the window frames, and then paint the concrete base black. Dark colors on the concrete base will be way less maintenance-intensive.

Edit: And I was also worried about all these dark colors in the swampass latitudes, but I suppose with top-notch insulation and year-round HVAC it shouldn't be too noticeable on the inside.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 5:18 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

The porch ceiling and floor will both be exposed wood. Also the bottom of the overhangs (similar to the garage)

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 5:20 p.m.

Yes. Everyone who thinks dark colors are not a great idea in the Deep South is right. 

Not gonna change.

GameboyRMH
7/23/24 5:44 p.m.

Another option could be an avocado color scheme, dark green on the outside, yellowish light green on the window frames and porch, and then do the concrete base in dark brown.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/23/24 5:58 p.m.

Quick shot at it.  Roof is silver?  Not sure the green is dark enough.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/23/24 6:03 p.m.

Darker.  If you are talking about modifying the actual pics, that will be a bit trickier because of lighting etc.:

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 6:08 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Understood. Thank you. 

Dark one. Would you mind changing the color in the center section (where the doors are) to a lighter shade of green? (Like your first drawing)

Edit: And do the roof black?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 6:09 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

BTW, the front door on the front elevation is a double door. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/23/24 6:13 p.m.

Like this?:

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 6:14 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I think so! 😊

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 6:17 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

The lady of the house says "Great job!"

(Whew!)

GameboyRMH
7/23/24 6:17 p.m.

The unripe-avocado color scheme looks good too cheeky

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 6:20 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Haha 🤣

lownslow
lownslow GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/24 6:21 p.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to lownslow :

Skylight is an interesting idea.  Don't tell my partner! 😂

Give me their email. I promise to not suggest it. laugh

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 6:23 p.m.

In reply to lownslow :

Honestly, she'd love the idea (and so would I), but the detailing of the framing and the roof curb with the metal roofing would make it really difficult, and I'm not prepared for making this job more difficult than I already have!

Its a really good suggestion. Just not something I have the bandwidth to tackle at this point. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/23/24 6:24 p.m.

Simulated trees in background:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oEwPojs0PUExcsFJFjGHN6wHY1R2fx9OFG4FcrQqZqe1pdmtbY2ZZbrsr3WMmKSq